Can't lose weight

Adeline

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

I have just come back to the forum. I have had Type 2 Diabetes for 5 years now at first
watching my diet and then last year got put on 1000 mg metformin.

The last year or so I have been struggling to lose more weight and motivation has anyone
any tips ?

The other question I would like to ask is this if having type 2 diabetes are you supposed to
be checking your blood sugar before and after meals or is this just for Type 1 diabetics?

Adeline

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Testing should be done for both type 1's and 2's, after a period of stable bg control some type 2's can relax a little on the testing but for type 1's it's a must, as for losing weight, if you burn more calories than you consume your weight will eventually reduce, that is why the likes of Weight Watchers and Slimming World are so successful.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi AllThe other question I would like to ask is this if having type 2 diabetes are you supposed to
be checking your blood sugar before and after meals or is this just for Type 1 diabetics?

Everyone with any kind of diabetes should own a meter and use it at least once a day at the two hour mark after a meal. You should be finding out which foods raise your level of blood sugar above acceptable levels. Then you should change your diet to make sure that the same food does not do it again.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just come back to the forum. I have had Type 2 Diabetes for 5 years now at first
watching my diet and then last year got put on 1000 mg metformin.

Just out of interest, could you tell us how you watched your diet?

Adeline

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just out of interest, could you tell us how you watched your diet?
Hi Squire Fulwood

I tried Simming World but then got confused as their programme mentioned about eating plenty of carbs
which I thought you were not supposed to do if being a diabetic. The other problem I have is when I
check the labels for low fat alternatives there is more sugar in the product, and when I check the low sugar
it is high in fat which is the best option?

I have always had a weight problem but have lost weight before and put it on again. I have cut down on
my food intake but I admit I am not exercising enough maybe that is where I am going wrong.

I attend my GP a few times a year at the moment but have never been told about checking my blood sugars
before and after eating.

Thanks for your reply

Adeline

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Squire Fulwood

I tried Simming World but then got confused as their programme mentioned about eating plenty of carbs
which I thought you were not supposed to do if being a diabetic. The other problem I have is when I
check the labels for low fat alternatives there is more sugar in the product, and when I check the low sugar
it is high in fat which is the best option?

I have always had a weight problem but have lost weight before and put it on again. I have cut down on
my food intake but I admit I am not exercising enough maybe that is where I am going wrong.

I attend my GP a few times a year at the moment but have never been told about checking my blood sugars
before and after eating.

Thanks for your reply

Adeline

The NHS doctrine is to eat lots of carbs but this has been discredited in my opinion and soon it will be completely debunked as a way to keep healthy.

If it is a straight choice between high sugar and high fat then take the high fat. Some people may think there is a problem with fat but sugar is straight poison. Don't worry if a food contains saturated fat, it is good for you. Just avoid the margarines and other strange oils out there.

Exercise never lost weight but it does reduce sugar levels so it is worthwhile

I don't recommend you disregard your GP but I don't take a lot of notice of mine with respect to diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Adeline

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Testing should be done for both type 1's and 2's, after a period of stable bg control some type 2's can relax a little on the testing but for type 1's it's a must, as for losing weight, if you burn more calories than you consume your weight will eventually reduce, that is why the likes of Weight Watchers and Slimming World are so successful.
Hi Noblhead

I did try Slimming World but got confused about the amount of Carbs that you can take as I thought with have diabetes
you were not supposed to take a lot of Carbs, also the anything that is low in sugar has high fat and anything low fat
seems to be high in sugar.

Thanks for you reply

Adeline

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Carbs are the problem for us not fat. Not all calories are equal and carb calories are bad news for us. So if you want to lose weight and control your blood sugar then keep the carbs down and have protein and fat to make up the calories. I would avoid any brand-name diets and just adopt a lifestyle that has a low carb content and sensibly small portion sizes; you don't need to buy expensive slimming foods.

Reactions: 8 people

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Totally agree with Diabell, try low carbs but throw in some exercise as well
Even a walk for 30 minutes 3 times a week will add to the weight loss, I can confirm, lost over 20 KG following this lifestyle.
Good Luck

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everyone with any kind of diabetes should own a meter and use it at least once a day at the two hour mark after a meal. You should be finding out which foods raise your level of blood sugar above acceptable levels. Then you should change your diet to make sure that the same food does not do it again.

I would like to slightly disagree and say a diabetic treated with insulin should test primarily at the 4 hour mark, as the insulin action is very roughly about half done at 2 hours. You can also check at 2 hours as well for interest or to check for hypos.

Checking at the 2 hour mark does make sense for those producing their own insulin and not taking any insulin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The other question I would like to ask is this if having type 2 diabetes are you supposed to

Hi Adeline

It's worth noting that the NHS might not support you or fund you for daily testing as a Type 2. But it's a really really good idea to do it, and you can self fund your own meter and strips very cheaply, about 14p a test.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to slightly disagree and say a diabetic treated with insulin should test primarily at the 4 hour mark, as the insulin action is very roughly about half done at 2 hours. You can also check at 2 hours as well for interest or to check for hypos.

Checking at the 2 hour mark does make sense for those producing their own insulin and not taking any insulin.

Sorry, couldn't see clearly through the bottom of the glass. I know nothing about taking insulin since I don't have to and I should have included that in my post.

Reactions: 3 people

scooterlad75

I went on that newcastle diet for four weeks to kick start my weight loss. I have introduced regular exercise back into my life ( swimming, cycling and light weight training). Also now have a low carb lifestyle ( not diet) which helps alot. There is really no secret to losing weight other than being active and eating right.
I have a have lost over 2 stone over 8 weeks. My weight fluctuates a bit, nut all my clothes are bigger. Once they are too big, i give them to charity so i dont grow back into them.
Im type 2 and take metformin 3xdaily. I dont consider my diabetes as a life sentence, i try to use it as a positive motivator to keep myself healthy! I got more weight to lose, but getting there! You need to change your lifestyle and attitude towards food, hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 people

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
I have lots of weight to lose too, and cant. I cant do without my carbs, I feel so terribly hungry that my head spins. I also have my own chef at home, but it doesnt help, as his food is so delicious. Sometimes I dont seem to care what I eat and how much. I dont want to face the fact that I have diabetes type 2. I weight 16.5 stone, been to nutrition sessions, and also on lots of medication, im only 51, I do eat sugary things but not half as much as my partner does, he's always eating, lol. I have underactive thyroid, diabetes, mental health, incontinence, what a cocktail of meds i take, and panic attack meds.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Try the fat coward diet. I basically ate almost nothing for about 6 weeks lost 3 stone couldn't feel my fingers when I woke up. seems to have worked but I must have been very close to doing further damage. started to add fat to my diet and feel better every day

Last edited by a moderator: