Re: Tofu 2.5 grams of carb.per 100 grams.

C

catherinecherub

It is good stuff and can be used in so many dishes. It takes on the flavour of what you are cooking so ideal in stir fries and curries. I always have some in the house because I have several vegetarian friends.
Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I keep reading about Tofu, but haven't cooked with it yet

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
Been eating TOFU - Bean Curd - for more than 30 years. Be sure to purchase it fresh from a reliable Chinese or Japanese source. Also be sure and look at the salt content on the label as it can be high.

We find it best cut into small cubes and deep fried in unrefined Peanut oil to give a sealed surface before being added to soups or a vegetarian stir fry.

Voilet

"Repulsive stuff. It's like eating a dead slug."

Do they taste different from live ones?

In any event if you treat them is the same manner as the Frogs deal with snails they have a lot going for them. Or so the Romans thought.

Voilet

"Repulsive stuff. It's like eating a dead slug."

Do they taste different from live ones?

In any event if you treat them is the same manner as the Frogs deal with snails they have a lot going for them. Or so the Romans thought.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
WE all have diferent likes and dislikes. I've never had Tofu, but I'd be happy to try it as i have no problems with any foods of vegetable origin. However, As a child of a landlocked country(born in Prague) I have a deep suspicion of what my mother calls "sea worms" And I'd have to be very hungry indeed to eat, prawns or shellfish, let alone sea cucumbers or squid or octopus.. didn't much care for my one taste of lobster and heartily dislike caviare. Fish is fine though.
I adore cod, salmon, Seabass,tuna, trout, kippers, haddock and a whole section of an ictheology textbook.
So tofu haters, you can have the sea worms, I'll leave them for you

hermit104

I find plain tofu too bland but in the supermarket chains I use you can find Cauldron Foods' marinated tofu which I find delicious hot or cold. You can freeze it but it then becomes a bit watery to eat cold.

Unfortunately the salt level is high.

Trinkwasser

If you find tofu too slimy, Quorn might be more to your liking.

One minor warning - soy including tofu may be contraindicated with thyroid problems

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Having once been a strict veggiehoovian for 16 years, I went through a lot of tofu.
I still like it now and again but it's going to have to be the firm stuff, cut into wee chunks and stir fried in sesame oil and soy sauce. Nice.

fergus

bunty

And then there are those us for whom anything with soya in it is a potential deathtrap!

Darn but is there nowhere for me to turn?

LOL!

bunty