Simvastatin and effect in BG level......

izzy

I apologise if this has been raised before, but I feel I must ask. My hubby has been on Simvastatin since 2005. During tis time his BG readings have been mostly in lower double figures and his diabetes unstable.(No hypos I am please to add).He also has Fibromyalgia which as I'm sure you know effect muscles and joints causing anything from aches to severe debilitating pain. Recently he has developed an annoying "tic" in his muscles and the pharmacist suggested that perhaps the Simvastatin may be the cause. The GP has suggested that he stop taking it for two weeks to see if it is. Since the cessation. The ache and pain he gets from the fibro has diminished but his BG reading have dropped to single figures on was in now a regular occurrence. (which is a good thing).
Does Simvastatin have an effect like this on BG level or is this just coincidence?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins are known to cause diabetes, along with muscle pain so I wouldn't be surprised if it was connected.

It took hubby a couple of months before he was pain free after stopping the simvastatin.

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was on Simvastatin, my BGs were unpredictable and very difficult to control. I know another diabetic on them, who was experiencing the same problem. I stopped taking it and within days my control was back.

I spoke to my consultant about it, he said that he had not heard about this as a side effect and agreed that I should stop. He also asked me to complete a yellow card (available from a pharmacy or online) to report my side effects. The more people who report symptoms, the more likely they are to be recognised. Please ask your husband to do this. Thanks.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
My GP transferred to Atorvastatin when I had problems with Simvastatin. So far, so good.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

izzy

Many thanks for your replies. It was interesting to read Dougla's reply and we will certainly look into seeking out and completing said form. My husband is very reassured that he is not alone in this. He has another week plus before he has to see his GP re the simvastatin problem . I shall mention what we have learnt from this forum to the GP on the next visit.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I apologise if this has been raised before, but I feel I must ask. My hubby has been on Simvastatin since 2005. During tis time his BG readings have been mostly in lower double figures and his diabetes unstable.(No hypos I am please to add).He also has Fibromyalgia which as I'm sure you know effect muscles and joints causing anything from aches to severe debilitating pain. Recently he has developed an annoying "tic" in his muscles and the pharmacist suggested that perhaps the Simvastatin may be the cause. The GP has suggested that he stop taking it for two weeks to see if it is. Since the cessation. The ache and pain he gets from the fibro has diminished but his BG reading have dropped to single figures on was in now a regular occurrence. (which is a good thing).
Does Simvastatin have an effect like this on BG level or is this just coincidence?

Fibro isnt actually muscle and joint pain.. It is diagnosed by rheumatologists from having certain pain points in body... So its not in joints..i hope your OH was diagnosed from pain points not just from a GP.

However, having been diagnosed previously with fibro myself and coincidentally having statins off and on etc and having got rid of pains for a whole year before them coming back again after HCP's pretty much telling me to try again... Well I firmly belueve statins will be causations of pain...

Blood levels.. Yes, I also believe mine were raised and needing more insulin on statins...

One statin in particular has been listed as increasing possibility of getting diabetes.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
DD
Is there a prize for guessing which statin that is ?

Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on Simvastatin 40g - no side effects that I know of. After reading this thread and looking up the possible effects on bs levels I didn't take a tablet last night. Working on the theory that as we are supposed to take them at bedtime it might affect the morning fasting levels more than any other time, I tested this morning as usual only to find my level was the same as my normal fasting levels. I realise this is only one missed tablet. I'll stay off them for a week and see what happens.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DD
Is there a prize for guessing which statin that is ?

I understand there are current class actions happening in the US against Lipitor for causing Type 2, particularly in women.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Statins are usually taken at night as, I understand, that the liver does a lot of its work during the night hours.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The effects on my body are from any statin, I've tried them all. Trouble is, without them I put a posting on here previous that my levels are too low out of range for triglycerides and the good one is out of range for being too good. My ldl is top range of normal... So why do I need them to do so much damage to my muscles. The last statin atorva.. I took for nigh on 4 months and got yhe leg pains again.. Then I got bad sort of heart palpitations.. Can't explain how it felt. Stopped taking them. Heart palps went. I even went to gp who did ecg etc and all normal. They even put me on Ezemtibe. I saw a research consultant at a research hospital who told me I would be better off taking one atoravast.. A week than taking that drug. So Christmas I stopped after heart palpitations and now I have actually started having single cream in coffee twice a day and full fat milk as I don't know what else to do.
I have my bloods done again in 3 months...after the last exclamation marks on two of them I am hoping they may change. But they were low for triglicerides and high good cholesterol , and that was 3 months after I stopped any statin.
I have good blood pressure so why should I be on ststins?
Since stopping them my basal insulin was 19+ and now is just under 15....

Reactions: 2 people

izzy

Many thanks for all your replies It is now two weeks+ since hubby stopped the simvastatin. I am glad to report that the annoying "tics" have stopped and in general he his feeling better in himself. His Bg's have remained constant in single figures(6-9) for the past. week+ which is a big plus for him. As an experiment, he had a piece of cake with his supper the other evening. Normally, this would push his morning reading into double figure(12-14) but to our surprise, it was 7 the following morning. He admits to feeling better in himself and the neuropathy episodes in his toes/feet have lessened.
He, like me, tends to think there is something in this and he is definitely going to raise the matter with his GP.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am glad I read this thread tonight. I got my first box of Simvastatin today, even though I told my doc I was very uncertain about taking them. He prescribed 40mg, which surprised me when I realized that is the highest dose. I already have RLS and diabetic neuropathy. I don't want more aches, tics, etc.! Both the doc and DN said that the benefits far outweigh the side affects. Reading the list of possible affects, I'm not so sure.

Regardless, I'm not taking it tonight. I still have to give this a big, long think.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was prescribed 40mg despite my levels being only a tiny bit above normal, and my trigs and HDL being good I asked my GP why I couldn't have the 20mg ones. She simply said the 40mg ones are the ones all the trials were done with! She also told me the benefits are huge and not just for lowering cholesterol. There is an 80mg dose by the way. I must add I haven't had any side effects that I know of.

izzy

Thanks for the link. It certainly tends to "agree" with what we're experiencing. Since his readings have been in single figures for over a week now he has now reduced his insulin doses by 2units both morning and night.(which can only be a good thing) and according to the health trainer, he has lost 2lb in weight.