Best alcohol drinks???

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
What is the best alcoholic drinks to have when type 1! I drink beer, miller coors light n would normally go on to morgans lemonade after a few but as nowhere sells diet lemonade n diet coke with morgans i cant drink! Since diagnosis i drink bottled beer on nites out but sick of it after a few now! What can i drink?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I think all beers are out. Red wine seems to be a favourite but I'm no expert. I have the odd whisky but I think it all catches up with you the next day. If you are T1 you will be on medication so might be different for you.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I like white/sparkly wines. They don't have much affect on my sugars at the time but, because they cause hypos hours later, I don't drink much alcohol now as it's to much of a faff for me to try and keep my sugars steady for the next 12/24 hours.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with the above: Champagne/Wine = good. Beers = bad. Alcopops = amazingly bad... unless you're having a hypo. I have to admit to having downed a bottle of sugary alcopop when hypoing on a night out. :eek:

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I drink vodka with either diet coke or soda water. It never raises my bloods but I do hypo after quite a few drinks so be aware of that and eat a nice greasy portion of cheesy chips with reduced insulin before you head home lol!

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
At home and only on a weekend I drink red wine(Merlot), does nothing to my bg and doesn't send me low the following morning like beer did.

Reactions: 2 people

Radge21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vodka and diet coke for me.
No carbs, but I will take one beer through the night to make sure my glucose is ok.
Keeps my weight steady too.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Champagne (or prosecco etc). Otherwise spirits - whisky, brandy. As a mix drink, rum or vodka and diet coke. But in a noisy bar you have bad odds of getting regular coke. And I worry some spiced rums have carbs. Beers and cider are out, full of carbs. As there is no requirement to put nutritional information on alcoholic drinks (in the UK) you can't even carb count.

But I drink a lot less often and a lot less as a diabetic. There are too many unknowns, too many complications, it's just not worth it. Alcohol magnifies the acute risks of being diabetic.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rum, whiskey, or any spirit i've had with diet coke/pepsi max/diet pepsi had no effect apart from making me a bit dizzy but wasn't sure if it was a hypo or not, so should be careful not to drink in large amounts if you had a long break from alcohol before, I had about 6 units worth of rum in one afternoon and since hypo and drunk/drowsiness have similar symptoms it's hard to tell, especially that I'd never been drunk before, but I felt it was enough purely because the room was blurry and shaking around when I wasn't even moving.

Wine on the other hand gave me hypo's, especially medium dry white wine which enabled me to eat without injecting insulin.

Vodka/Mixed drinks like the wkd mixed fruit drink were things that sort of balanced the carb content and alcohol so I could drink it without taking insulin also, so essentially it was just a sugar-free drink, or it may well be that my own insulin would be catering for it as my body could still be producing it.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can drink wine (red or dry whites). I have a white wine spritzer (with soda) if I want a longer drink. A couple pubs I go to aren't really wine drinking places and the wine is **** so there I might have a vodka lime and soda.

I'm careful with mixers - I usually have soda, just have to be careful not given lemonade. I'm particularly cautious in noisy busy places and would probably have wine.

fredskitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gin and slim is what i started drinking when i was diagnosed as i've never been a fan of diet coke and and slim line tonic and soda are usually the only other diet drinks you get in pubs. I've never had a problem with my blood sugars when i drink it!

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
I drink beer when in the pub and take 3 units of insulin after every 3 pints to avoid high highs - I can usually maintain a bg between 8 and 9 this way which is acceptable to me as there's no way I'm giving up my beer after having given up so much already. I enjoy whisky but find it can aggravate neuropathic pain so at home I tend to stick to vodka which has zero effect on my bg level.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Beer is bad. I tend to drink whiskey now. As long as I've ate well. But I've given up getting to drunk as I feel nervous and a little out of control drunk. (Had a bad low at like 3am while drunk )

Bingaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tend to drink Vodka, lime and soda. low cal, low carb with a bit of taste. Although I try not to drink as I get carried away too easily!!!