You've just got Diabetes. If you weren't confusde before, you soon will be.

skydiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried getting answers from the internet and have ended up so confused I've disappeared up my own rectum.
Here's a challenge. Try finding out just how much sugar there is in a pint. There's just no standardisation anywhere. I've initially tried writing to "Stewarts" brewery to ask the sugar content of a pint of 'heavy'...still awaiting a reply after a week. Wrote to Caledonian Brewery asking the same thing about a pint of 'Deuchars 80/-'. I got a reply five days later where they've declared they aint got a Scooby but "best to avoid drinking it as there's a lot of sugar from the malt content, sorry to disappoint".
Some tables give you the 'carbohydrate' content..that's great 'cos there's no mention of sugar at all, yippee, I can get rat ***** tonight ! Seriously though there's a lot of conflicting information out there, giving us all a "bum steer". would it be too much to ask that this information be readily available to the consumer ?
While I'm griping, here's one aimed at you B.D.A.
Why, throughout your site, do YOU repeatedly refer to me as a 'diabetic'? Do me a favour ! STOP referring to ME as though I'm a walking disease. I am a HUMAN. YOU should know better, TIDY UP YOUR ACT. If I had a limp, would you say "hello, I understand you are a cripple" or to an asthma sufferer "you are an asthmatic" ? If you were in company would you say "meet John, he is an epileptic" of perhaps, "this is Mary, she is a Leper" ?
The press are the biggest culprits. Not to mention our good old N.H.S.:nurse: your local dentist or optician. If you have any clout B.D.A., please campaign about correcting the aforementioned on our behalf.
Just for the record, I have type 2 diabetes (late onset). I have never had a "sweet tooth" and have always had a figure resembling a yard of pumpwater. So whenever I see the press referring to me as an overweight couch potato who has burdened the N.H.S. with a "self-inflicted" condition, I get angry:mad:.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Skydiver! I am sorry to have to tell you beer is a bad idea when diabetic. There are a few low carb beers but they are so booring so not worth the effort. Basically, beer is liquid bread and bad for us. Wine, on the other had is fine so long as it is dry.

And it is the carbohydrate that counts, not the sugar content.

Last edited by a moderator:

skydiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Skydiver! I am sorry to have to tell you beer is a bad idea when diabetic. There are a few low carb beers but they are so booring so not worth the effort. Basically, beer is liquid bread and bad for us. Wine, on the other had is fine so long as it is dry.
Hi Totto,
Thanks for replying to this "diabetes sufferer". Would still refer some meat to put on the bones in the shape of "facts and figures". Any accurate ones out there ? E.G. One pint of common or garden lager equals X grams of sugar.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
According to "Carbs and Cals" one pint of 4% ABV ale has 17g carbs (i.e sugar in our terms); 4% ABV lager has 8g, and 4% ABV stout has 9g.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Totto,
Thanks for replying to this "diabetes sufferer". Would still refer some meat to put on the bones in the shape of "facts and figures". Any accurate ones out there ? E.G. One pint of common or garden lager equals X grams of sugar.
I found out how bad beer is through my bg meter. So very few beer for me. I keep testing to take control. I probably will have a few beers per year, next time at midsummer.

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried looking at myfitnesspal? It is an excellent app, but is also available on the net. Just a thought.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Be aware myfitess is open so there is no guarintee the amounts are correct.

skydiver a carbohydrate and starch are both terms/types of sugar you need to make sure you are aware of that you are too focused on the word sugar.
Think of a T10 PISA and Saber they just have different names at the end of the day they all do the same job.... stop you making a hole in the ground.

You should also buy a meter and eat and drink to that. Once you have a meter then go drink pint of beer and see how it affects you. On here lots of people can have full fat yogurt esp lidil as it is carbs of around 4g/100g l am not able to because it spikes my blood glucose.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think your point about being described as a 'diabetic' is well taken. As others have said, don't think 'sugar' think 'carbohydrates' as sugar is just another carb. You say you are a T2 late onset. Note that virtually all T2s are late onset as it normally develops during mid/later life and commonly thru insulin resistance. If the condition is due to islet cell failure than it would be late onset T1.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No idea about beer as don't drink it.
You are cross with the British Diabetes Association which is now Diabetes UK. This site is not their site
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/about.html
I don't know what DUKs views are on this, I can't see the word diabetic being used freely on their website. You could contact them http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/Contact_us/ and ask them their views on this.
The Australian Diabetes association has a very clear position statement on the language used in diabetes and the very first word they discuss is 'diabetic'
The term ‘diabetic’ defines the individual as their health condition. It is better to emphasise the person’s ability to live with diabetes. Labelling someone as ‘diabetic’ positions diabetes as the defining factor of their life.
http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/PageFiles/18417/11.09.20 DA position statement.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, Welcome

you dont want to drink beer without knowing the sugar content because you are trying to control your diabetes? dont drink beer lol its easy! or drink it and dont worry about your condition, you cant have your sugar free cake and eat it :) people with peanut allergies dont eat peanuts, metaphorically you have a sugar allergy, i think your angry because youve been diagnosed, this is perfectly understandable, we all go through this, theres alot to learn, i would suggest having a look through the forum and ask questions of us, if you have them

in answer to your original question, how much sugar in beer? too much

phyden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold callings
I've tried getting answers from the internet and have ended up so confused I've disappeared up my own rectum.
Here's a challenge. Try finding out just how much sugar there is in a pint. There's just no standardisation anywhere. I've initially tried writing to "Stewarts" brewery to ask the sugar content of a pint of 'heavy'...still awaiting a reply after a week. Wrote to Caledonian Brewery asking the same thing about a pint of 'Deuchars 80/-'. I got a reply five days later where they've declared they aint got a Scooby but "best to avoid drinking it as there's a lot of sugar from the malt content, sorry to disappoint".
Some tables give you the 'carbohydrate' content..that's great 'cos there's no mention of sugar at all, yippee, I can get rat ***** tonight ! Seriously though there's a lot of conflicting information out there, giving us all a "bum steer". would it be too much to ask that this information be readily available to the consumer ?
While I'm griping, here's one aimed at you B.D.A.
Why, throughout your site, do YOU repeatedly refer to me as a 'diabetic'? Do me a favour ! STOP referring to ME as though I'm a walking disease. I am a HUMAN. YOU should know better, TIDY UP YOUR ACT. If I had a limp, would you say "hello, I understand you are a cripple" or to an asthma sufferer "you are an asthmatic" ? If you were in company would you say "meet John, he is an epileptic" of perhaps, "this is Mary, she is a Leper" ?
The press are the biggest culprits. Not to mention our good old N.H.S.:nurse: your local dentist or optician. If you have any clout B.D.A., please campaign about correcting the aforementioned on our behalf.
Just for the record, I have type 2 diabetes (late onset). I have never had a "sweet tooth" and have always had a figure resembling a yard of pumpwater. So whenever I see the press referring to me as an overweight couch potato who has burdened the N.H.S. with a "self-inflicted" condition, I get angry:mad:.

Well I too have been told I brought this on myself as I over indulged, Ho Sir ! I am so sorry, I mean 15 years ago I was told to stop drinking the nice drink and also to stop eating fatty food as well I had a Hiatus hernia, I also cannot eat onions which as you all know most foods have it in. but yes at that time I had no need to lose weight as I used to work myself in to the ground as a Gardener, Well I mean some one has to pay the taxes.

Of course as the years rolled on and yours truly got other health problems and well I became the carer unpaid to mother my health fell apart and well I had become 65 and I did retire but carried on looking after Mother who had Altzimers, yes I did it for nothing as once you are of retirement age you cannot get carers allowance, not as I did before as I was self employed. Well Now at 83 I need help as yes you guessed it I got the dreaded Diabetes and all because I over indulged, mm well the only indulging I did was to work and pay lots of money to our governments and well
we all know where that went..

Well now yes I am classed as Disabled as well walking is doing about a hundred yards before my legs refuse to go any further, my feet feel as if I am waling on broken glass and I need to rest, ok there has been times when I have finished up on my knees and well people walk passed I know they think I am drunk, that's a laugh I only drink tea or water.
The other day I went to Tesco but there was no disable spaces so I used the children's space loads of them all empty I need the door fully open to both get in and out as I need to put both feet down. Well I was told as I was not carrying children I could not park there so I left, funny lots of people use the disabled parking spots as nothing is said, but well I suppose been both a Diabetic and been disabled one could say we over endulged and are now paying for our own foolishness.. Yours Phyden

D2 on tablets

A

Avocado Sevenfold

This is my contribution:

Drink whisky.

Be careful if you are on bg lowering medicine though. Or walking past a chippy on the way home as resolve may be compromised.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
And personally I think I would much rather someone said to me "Hello, I understand you are diabetic" than "I understand you are a person with diabetes" which not only sounds clumsy but slightly patronizing.

There's a big difference though between "You are diabetic" and "You are a diabetic". I'm quite happy with the former, less so with the latter. Even if it's true.

skydiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely there is hardly any "sugar" in beer because that is what gets put in at the start is converted to alcohol by the fermentation process so very little should remain in the end product. Which would be why tables will list carbohydrates rather than sugar. It would be like measuring a vehicle's exhaust emissions in petrol.

On the other matter, the dictionary definition of the term "diabetic," as with all similar "-ic" forms of medical conditions, is both an adjective meaning relating to the condition and a noun meaning a person with the condition. You could say "person with diabetes" instead, but that will get very annoying and very tedious with repeat use.

And personally I think I would much rather someone said to me "Hello, I understand you are diabetic" than "I understand you are a person with diabetes" which not only sounds clumsy but slightly patronizing.

skydiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quote:- "And personally (etc.)...."
Like you've said, that's your personal preference. It's a free country.;)

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
....couldn't agree more rhiuka, it doesn't bother me at all when I'm referred to as being diabetic, 'person with diabetes' sounds condescending to me, but each to their own...

skydiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where does it say that I wanted to be called a 'person with diabetes' ??
Reminds me of the troops in the front line who passed a message down the line "send reinforcements we're going to advance". By the time it got to command H.Q it was "send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance" o_O