OMNIPOD

Jess Alway

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone in the UK have an Omnipod ? NHS funded ? Private funding ?

Signature:
Twitter: @JessAlway

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Omnipod, user name does and they love it. omnipod, you around,will bump the post for you :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im with Julie and have a Vibe, what would you guys say is the best thing about Omnipod?

Jess Alway

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just think it sounds like a good idea because it is wireless and don't have the meter/ controller part clipped to you. I am also interested in ordinary pumps and thinking of getting one soon. Omnipods don't seem to be as available as ordinary pumps on the nhs. I'm just researching every avenue before I commit :)

Signature:

Reactions: 2 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Vibes are good, both myself and Engineer88, have them, I don't have them CGM but Enginner88 uses the cgm.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on the Combo but in the middle of a two month OmniPod trial, have about 2 years left on my Combo and if given the choice I would move to the OmniPod today. Seems hospitals contract with manufacturers, Bournemouth are with AccuCheck but Southampton are now with Omnipod (I was told)

Jess Alway

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear everyone's replies, I am in cornwall, will have to find out at my next appointment if they are available. :)

Signature:

sammi4688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ive just started on the Omnipod (literally got it fitted yesterday)......although already it says i need to change it as i have 39 u left. This obviously means i have used 160 u in one day!!! I really find this quite embarrassing really. I have been off work yesterday and today and have been eating and snacking more than usual; not bad stuff, but obviously accounting for every carb in everything! I phoned my diabetic nurse and she said its ok just change my pod, but that if i find this happening alot we may need to look at other pumps in the future as this may not be cost effective for me.....
The reason i chose to go on the Omnipod is because i was struggling so much and felt this may help me and secondly as it is a pump without the line which appealed to me very much. So clearly i need to cut back on the carbs in order to stay on the pump, which in effect may help me lose weight.......:shy:
Anybody else experienced anything like this or anything to do with the Omnipod?

Thanks Sam.

jagger38

I really want an omnipod, woke up this morning with ketones, and blood sugar on 18.9. Think I had an air bubble, am on an Animas vibe at the moment. I'm due an upgrade in December, so going to ask dsn, about the omnipod. So fed up with tubing...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paulawhite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on the omnipod now for nearly a month and to start with had a few issues but now settling down. Mine is NHS funded the only problem I have is getting test strips but my diabetic nurse at my surgery has said I need them so can have them!! I love the fact that it has no wires and I don't worry about where I have mine and have been wearing it on my arm. I would totally recommend the omnipod.

paulawhite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sam...I wouldn't worry too much just yet about the amount of insulin u r using its early days. I can use up to 40 units a day so mine is overfilled so will start to fill less. I find now that I eat less carbs in a meal as don't want to bolus large amounts as I hypo over 10 units. Give it time and it may b ur radio is wrong. Keep testing. Wat readings r u getting at no..to start with mine were high but over the weeks and tweeking every few days have come down a lot. Hope it works for u x

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an Omnipod. I love it. it is so small. Each pod lasts me 3 days. You can wear it in so many places. No tubing, Its light and you dont even know its there. You fill a pod with insulin, stick it on you and just press a button. It self inserts. Very fast...feels like a finger prick.
You can get it on the NHS. Your clinic just needs to make a case. The Omnipod only costs £100 more per year. If you fight for it, you will get it. I am sure that Omnipod are taking a huge amount of business away from Medtronic and Accu Check. Soon all pumps will be tubeless. I HIGHLY recomend the Omnipod.

sammi4688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paula thanks ive been on it now for about 7-10 days and honestly it is the best decision i have ever made regarding my diabetes! My sugars were disgusting and i am not saying that to allow some busy body to start having a go at me. I struggled enormously with not just controlling my sugars but also just accepting i was diabetic! No one in my family has it and none of my friends have it so i felt i had no one to talk to when i was struggling or having my down days because everyone can be sympathetic but no one REALLY knows what its like.
Since i've had my Omnipod on i cant believe the results i've been getting! 2 hours after eating my sugars are like 4's and 5's! To everyone else that might just sound normal but to me i couldn't believe it, especially when it was happening alot! My morning sugars were running abit high but we tweaked them at the Diabetes Centre and they seem ok now!
Its changed my whole outlook of life with diabetes, having another baby in the near future (12 months ish :joyful: seems possible now.
I actually feel like i'm gaining control of diabetes, its not controlling me and for once i'm looking forward to my next Hba1c!!!!!

All in all Omnipod well recommended!!!!

:D

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I will be getting an Omnipod on the NHS later this year. I'm terrified and really looking forward to it at the same time after 35 years on injections:). The Omnipod was the only pump I was considering really as I don't like all the tubing. Ha and I will be the first patient in West Cumbria on it so my diabetes team is just as excited as I am;)

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once on a omnipod.... youll never look back. makes diabetes management so easy. you still have to keep on top of fine tuning basal rates and adjusting carbs to insulin. If you on the go...or in public, you can eat and just press a few buttons to take insulin and nobody knows a thing. Good luck and well done for making the decision.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Once on a omnipod.... youll never look back. makes diabetes management so easy. you still have to keep on top of fine tuning basal rates and adjusting carbs to insulin. If you on the go...or in public, you can eat and just press a few buttons to take insulin and nobody knows a thing. Good luck and well done for making the decision.

Thanks. I had a little trial with saline a few days before Easter and was well impressed and thought I will get on well with it I think :)