how to mess up

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
I seemed to have overstepped the mark today. reading this morning. 132 Ok bit high. But should have stopped and thought my my food for the day. But got the better of me.
Started with bread and jam brown bread 2 slices.
Tea. and then coffee 2 cups.
Lunch this is where I went wrong. Just a raisen bun. coffee. icecream and couple of biscuits. Did not take reading
Dinner Fried fish, and mashed potatoes peas and corn.
coffee couple of cups..
At the moment quite hungry. but took my reading about 30mins ago. 121
So I suppose not too bad.
But run out of yohgourt so fell back onto bread this mornings. not a good idea.

was not happy about taking reading earlier in the day just incase..

Have felt tired and no energy today. dropping off
I expect you will be ok in the morning.
Sorry to bleat. but I let myself down after all I have been doing so well for the past days
How does one stop these cravings, as must admit it was and urge to have bread etc etc

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A lot of carbs and not really good food there...

Is this your normal eating? You must have had this food bought to eat it??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

Mushroom

I was a total bread, pasta and cereal addict. Now I low carb/high fat and no cravings - gone. I could crave by continuing to eat those foods but why do it?
Cheese keeps me on the straight and narrow if I feel vaguely snacky. No cheese in the fridge and I don't bother.
Remove the starchy/carby foods from the house. You just have to go cold turkey. Best wishes.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Totally agree with Mushroom. Go through your cupboards and freezer. Pack it all into a bag and give it to someone or bin it. Don't shop until you've eaten. Write a list and stick to it. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 people

C burns

Mushroom if u get a chance could u explain a wee bit about the low carb/high fat? I mean as in meal ideas. I've heard a few people doing this but I wouldn't really no where to start. Any help would be much appreciated x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found that you need to eat a lot of fat for the first week, I ate coconut oil by the spoonful to cut the cravings.
peanut butter and butter 50/50 might work for people who can't handle the thought of oils off a spoon. melt butter and mix with peanut paste, 7g carb per 100g

How to Get Rid of Food Cravings

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Mushroom if u get a chance could u explain a wee bit about the low carb/high fat? I mean as in meal ideas. I've heard a few people doing this but I wouldn't really no where to start. Any help would be much appreciated x

Hello C Burns

These links might help you to sort out what needs to be done to LCHF. In the Low Carb Forum there is a good recipes link too.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-diet-a-newbies-guide.9427/

Good Luck! :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

Try www.dietdoctor.com
I have put some of my recipes under Scandis recipes if you are looking for some ideas. Hope this helps.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How does one stop these cravings, as must admit it was and urge to have bread etc etc
Yeah that's what I would like to know too. Though as DD said, these things are only in the house if you buy them. If they are not in the house then you don't need to resist them. It's not foolproof as there is always the local shop. I do try to make sure I don't have "bad" food in the house and spare supplies of "good" food to eat if I get cravings. I also tell myself when I get cravings that I can have any "good" food instead of a "bad" food. So steak and salad instead of a packet of crisps.

It doesn't work brilliantly, these are all just little tricks and tactics. :-(

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. As others have said try to avoid buying the 'bad' things. We have no biscuits in the house and haven't had for years. We do have some wholemeal muffins and hot-x buns but we may have half of one. Have plenty of cheese in the fridge. We have a bowl of nuts and blueberries handy for snacking. I guess you know mashed potato is the worst way of serving potato; try to do boiled or even fried if any.

extremeindia

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Astrology can help you become more successful in life but if you fail to approach this science with the right mood or if you seek advice from unqualified astrologers your involvement with astrology can make your life truly miserable.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Stay away from bad astrologers and mashed potatoes. Words to live by.

The cravings soon subside with the LCHF. Lots of good links above. Good luck :)

Reactions: 3 people

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
whow . thank you so much. for input. My fault as shopping saw the buns , etc. and could not resist. Thought that it would not hurt. was I wrong. You guys are great and now back to try and get sorted again.

But and big but. went wth a friend and had lasagne and chips. have not taken reading yet. but have a new accu chek and was having problems . took it back to pharmacy, and they showed me how this one works. my reading 183 that was before have the lunchtime meal this was around 11 am. and only has yoghourt mixed with honey. coffee no sugar black. that was a good reading. before breakfast.

We have superb pizza place here in France. all there pizzas are thin and done in the wood oven,. but I thought would try the lasagne and chips. normally have a pizza. when we go there. will now take reading. with new toy. 201 time 2.15.
blast....... now I shall have nothing to except coffee.
Looks like I will have to sort myself out and revert back to all your suggestions. As when I looked on the forum, you were very positive and informative in what I should eat. so back to the drawing board.
I also agree. I have lots of goodies in the cupboard. had them some time. must sort them out. but it is hard as friends come around, and you have coffee. plus cake or biscuits. the norm............ even if I resist............ you can expect people to ask have you got.......... normally I have.
most people know the position I am in. but it is a habit over here. when you visit the same happens, they feel offended when you refuse. so now kerb my visits. Oh boy.......... what a mess. The French are not so informative as you guys. they seem to think well it is ok, if you feel ok.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Don't worry about offending anyone. Your health is more important. If you visit, take something with you that you can eat. That's what I do :)

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Don't worry about offending anyone. Your health is more important. If you visit, take something with you that you can eat. That's what I do :)
Hi, I do take a sweetie normally peppermints tic tac are they ok. as my doctors says put some sugar in pocket or in car. but cannot handle the sugar. when travelling take juice and water
what do you take with you?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok it's time to pull out the big guns, LCHF:)
to keep it simple for T2, don't eat any grain or grain product or potato, sugar or honey etc and eat everything else till your BG is under control.
eat a big plate of veg with a good serve of meat, don't be hungry eat lots
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Reactions: 4 people

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
thanks Jack. will start tomorrow, as quite full since my meal today. so need to come down a bit
funny how one day can make a difference.#

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is one of the reasons we get our groceries delivered. And I always set the order up when I'm NOT hungry. Lol.

If I go to the supermarket myself, I always get seduced by some ridiculous BOGOF, or carby indulgence.

Far better to lounge in state, feet up, buying worthy and delicious LCHF stuff...

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we you visit don't eat the biscuit and cake, tell them you are on the atkins diet. so you don't spend the whole night talking about diabetes. ask if they have some cheese and cold meat or nuts etc

stick this page in your favourites
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php