Sports drinks

Joe1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I have type-2 diabetes and am treating it with metformin. I am fairly active sports wise - I cycle long distances. Could someone please tell me whether there are any isotonic drinks I could use. And are the sugar free Jelly Beans OK?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I think that "Isotonic" is just marketing ****. Just drink water and (if you need them) take some salt tablets.

Sugar free Jelly Beans are fairly pointless if you are trying to avoid the "bonk". You'd be better just eating a smaller number of regular jelly beans. Even as a diabetic it's alright to eat as many carbs as you burn.

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Fergie, I eat and drink to my meter on long runs/rides. I don't go for the isotonic stuff, but have carb drinks I make up from the powder, gels and various fruit and nut bars I go with.

You are not able to ingest carbs at the same rate you are using so, even if you are eating while cycling you are net usinng stored reserves of carbs and fat.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some of the sports drinks are formulated for slower release which might help. I find that if I load up on carbs during a run or ride I am able to make my blood sugar go too high. But then I am T1 so I don't have the built in glucose regulation you guys have.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think Lucozade does make, without irony, a diet/sugar free version of their sugar water.

I tend to use Zero Extreme (£6 for 20 dissolving tablets that make 40l) but I can't tell you if they do any good but it certainly tastes better than tap water form the gym.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There's an awful lot of marketing involved with sports drinks and not a lot of science; very profitable. Are you sure you need an 'isotonic' drink whatever that is? If you are using a lot of energy don't worry too much about having some carbs unless you want to lose weight and burn body fat instead

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's an awful lot of marketing involved with sports drinks and not a lot of science; very profitable. Are you sure you need an 'isotonic' drink whatever that is? If you are using a lot of energy don't worry too much about having some carbs unless you want to lose weight and burn body fat instead

There's quite a bit of science behind it from both a nutritional and physiological perspective.

Think about how sporting performances have improved over the years, as a result of a combination of training, psychology, equipment and nutrition both before, during and after the event.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Too bad the science doesn't support the claims:
Dr Heneghan said the mountain of data included 101 trials that the Oxford team were able to examine before concluding: "In this case, the quality of the evidence is poor, the size of the effect is often minuscule and it certainly doesn't apply to the population at large who are buying these products.

Yeah, I admit that there there probably is a market of elite athletes and people with special medical conditions (e.g. T1 diabetics who need 100g carbs per hour whilst running to avoid passing out) but the average healthy gym-goer, not so much.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Too bad the science doesn't support the claims:

Yeah, I admit that there there probably is a market of elite athletes and people with special medical conditions (e.g. T1 diabetics who need 100g carbs per hour whilst running to avoid passing out) but the average healthy gym-goer, not so much.

I wouldn't disagree with that.

However my experience is that paying more attention to my sports nutrition both before and after my diagnosis has had a definite impact on performance. Decoupling that from other effects and demonstrating exactly the contribution of each factor is going to be difficult, bt to sayt there is no science behind any of these products is a gross over simplification

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't disagree with that.

However my experience is that paying more attention to my sports nutrition both before and after my diagnosis has had a definite impact on performance. Decoupling that from other effects and demonstrating exactly the contribution of each factor is going to be difficult, bt to sayt there is no science behind any of these products is a gross over simplification
I guess you're right, but what gets me is in my local gym there is a vending machine offering endless junk drinks purported to give you energy and I see the younger lads making body-building brews to drink before they enter the gym; much of it so much nonsense. It's the usual case or sorting the wheat from the chaff

extremeindia

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Sports drinks are beverages that are specially formulated to help people rehydrate during or after exercise. They are usually rich in carbohydrates the most efficient source of energy.
As well as crabs, which are important in maintaining exercise and sport performance, sports drinks usually contain sweeteners and preservatives. Sports drinks also contain electrolytes minerals such as chloride, calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium, which, along with body fluid, diminish as you exercise and sweat.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess you're right, but what gets me is in my local gym there is a vending machine offering endless junk drinks purported to give you energy and I see the younger lads making body-building brews to drink before they enter the gym; much of it so much nonsense. It's the usual case or sorting the wheat from the chaff

As with all things this is not a definite yes/no.

The differences on endurance sport for example are much different to those body builders you mention, who tend to need slightly more (but not a lot) protein, and a bit less carbs. I agree though that they do tend to overdo things, and certainly don't need all of those junk drinks full of caffiene, other stimulants and sugar

An endurance athlete tends to need more carbs as they are likely to be depleting reserves after 60-90 mins depending on exertion, some protein for exercise lasting > 2hrs to prevent cannibalisation, elctrolytes help as well. Overall a bit higher protein in the diet.

But those who are the typical gym bunnie working moderately for about an hour or so, should be able to cope on nothing more than a bit of water.

That obviously does not account for the special cases like us with deranged endocrine systems.