Have you try switching your carbs with fruits?

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi.
Rather than cutting off the carbs in your meal to lose weight, have you ever consider replacing it with fruits?
Just asking.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Then you wouldn't be cutting carbs.

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes i know, but you would intake less calories and still have the energy you need. You would be able to be full and feel satisfied and get the nutrients your body need and still lose weight.

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And fruits don't have the gluten bread or pasta have. It wont really mess up your sugar if you know how much fruit you eat. I medium orange is 15 grams of carbs and one banana is 15 grams of carbs depending on which type of banana you choose. But if i eat 1 banana with my yogurt in the morning, it fills me up because it gives me the 1. Energy 2. The satisfaction of being full 3. Less calorie intake than having cereal

Carbs is important. I've been living on a carb free diet for years and i realize that you need to have a good source of energy if you want to be active and happy. No carbs for a long time is deprivation. You would not want, would you?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Low carb isnt about not feeling full and carbs will spike your BG I find fruit worse than a lot of other things in fact. I cant eat gluten anyway so that isnt a problem. I physically cant get my insulin to work quick enough to negotiate spikes.

Carbs are not important apart from knowing how much insulin to inject and i find the less of that the better!

Reactions: 2 people

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow! So you are telling me that you are having problems with fructose ( rather than gluten - like me ).

So what do you do in that case? Do you eat carbs at all? If I may ask you, how long have you been diagnose?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
And fruits don't have the gluten bread or pasta have. It wont really mess up your sugar if you know how much fruit you eat. I medium orange is 15 grams of carbs and one banana is 15 grams of carbs depending on which type of banana you choose. But if i eat 1 banana with my yogurt in the morning, it fills me up because it gives me the 1. Energy 2. The satisfaction of being full 3. Less calorie intake than having cereal

Carbs is important. I've been living on a carb free diet for years and i realize that you need to have a good source of energy if you want to be active and happy. No carbs for a long time is deprivation. You would not want, would you?

A banana would spike my BG to h*ll:(, but my scrambled egg or blueberries & nuts doesn't:), and I don't feel hungry again so fast,:) so "no thanks" to bananas:stop:

Reactions: 6 people

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
The whole idea behind low carb to lose fat is to avoid insulin, it has little to do with calories and feeling full. Insulin is a highly anabolic hormone and viewed as the "fat storing" hormone so eating less carbs induces less insulin and thus less fat storage. Thats the theory anway..

From my own experiences I know counting calories can get me down to 10% bodyfat but in order to get into single digits I need to be having less insulin on the whole.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive been diagnosed 23 years and I eat less than 80g a day roughly. I'm careful about what carbs I eat also small amounts of berrys (straw and blue) potatos are okish. I do eat choc small bits. and a few other things. Its very personal and cant make a one size fits all statement

Reactions: 4 people

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
A banana would spike my BG to h*ll:(, but my scrambled egg or blueberries & nuts doesn't:), and I don't feel hungry again so fast,:) so "no thanks" to bananas:stop:
I've found less ripe bananas to not spike me has high, once they get some spots its a different story however. Plums are also a low spiking favourite of mine. :)

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So finally, if i am right
1. less carb = less insulin
Less insulin = less fat storage in our body

Less fat storage = lose weight.

But are you able to maintain a healthy life with almost no carbs in your life? ;)

I am sorry to be asking all this personal but i really want to know how you guys keep your mojo ( your charisma ). ;)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Easy, I enjoy being creative with food. I experiment - it motivates me.

Along with that I use a CGM full time and its very different when you can see exactly what every food is doing to you.

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
I'm not an advocate of extremely low carb/keto as a lifestyle as the long term effects are not clearly known, keto to me is simply a tool I can use, I also dislike high carb 50+% as the links to high blood sugar and inflammation are apparent. I usually stick to around 100-150 carbs per day.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
So finally, if i am right
1. less carb = less insulin
Less insulin = less fat storage in our body

Less fat storage = lose weight.

But are you able to maintain a healthy life with almost no carbs in your life? ;)

I am sorry to be asking all this personal but i really want to know how you guys keep your mojo ( your charisma ). ;)

Like Engineer88, i enjoy cooking and experimenting with foods. Being T2 and on Diet & exercise, I am reliant on tweaking my diet rather than adjusting my insulin intake (Was previously on bolus & basal insulin but weaned myself off it)

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What does CGM? Engineer - you are like the nerd of type 1 diabetes and I mean it as a compliment. Lets say that i am learning more stuff from you than my doctor.

And i do agree that ketone is not a very good companion for us. Definitely not. Wow, you guys been really helpful.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
What does CGM? Engineer - you are like the nerd of type 1 diabetes and I mean it as a compliment. Lets say that i am learning more stuff from you than my doctor.

And i do agree that ketone is not a very good companion for us. Definitely not. Wow, you guys been really helpful.

CGM = Continuous Glucose Monitor.

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dear Fergus.

You are a boss for being able to get off insulin. :)

So if you are someone with type 1 diabetes and is on a low carb diet, you'll definitely lose weight.

Therefore people struggling with their weight must have quite a poor control over their blood glucose too. Aie aie .

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You use a CGM full time!? Please tell me that its your personal choice.

I had it only for a week and I though that would be enough until I'm pregnant.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah personal choice and I pay for it too! yes I'm def a nerd lol! keeps me motivated now though after many years of not caring that is.