I am a 28 years old woman, I lost 10KG and I feel sexy.

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Who said women with type 1 diabetes cannot be sexy?

After I lost an extra 10KG of bodyweight, I was pleasantly surprised to discover the new, strong, motivated, happy, energetic, lovable, confident, outgoing and sexy me. The doctor used to tell me that I was in the borderline to being obese. But here I am now, down to a size 5 from a size 8-9, and that’s because I am naturally a petite.

I am now able to fit in skinny jeans and still look awesome. I don’t use makeup very often as my skin looks clear and feels smooth and hydrated. Even my hair feels hydrated and nourished.

I am more energetic and active. I can also focus and concentrate more easily than before. My memory has improved in such a way that I was able I was able to score marks in a few assignments that never happened before. And the best is that I am almost always happy now.

Being diagnosed with brittle type 1 diabetes 18 years ago (when I was only 11), these last few years have been the best years of my life so far. I’ve felt alive and in control of my life for the first time in many years. And this is an incredible feeling.

The ups and downs of my blood sugar still remain even though a lot less that before. Type 1 diabetes don’t go away. But it does not affect my life in a negative way anymore. I was able to lose 10kg and keep it off after all those years and not only I am proud of myself but it changed me completely.
If you are a woman between the age of 25 - 35 with type 1 diabetes and that you are now going through a hard time with your blood glucose, let me tell you that there is hope. More than hope, there is a solution.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 10 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol

After I lost an extra 10KG of bodyweight, I was pleasantly surprised to discover the new, strong, motivated, happy, energetic, lovable, confident, outgoing and sexy me. The doctor used to tell me that I was in the borderline to being obese. But here I am now, down to a size 5 from a size 8-9, and that’s because I am naturally a petite.

I am now able to fit in skinny jeans and still look awesome. I don’t use makeup very often as my skin looks clear and feels smooth and hydrated. Even my hair feels hydrated and nourished.

I am more energetic and active. I can also focus and concentrate more easily than before. My memory has improved in such a way that I was able I was able to score marks in a few assignments that never happened before. And the best is that I am almost always happy now.

Being diagnosed with brittle type 1 diabetes 18 years ago (when I was only 11), these last few years have been the best years of my life so far. I’ve felt alive and in control of my life for the first time in many years. And this is an incredible feeling.

The ups and downs of my blood sugar still remain even though a lot less that before. Type 1 diabetes don’t go away. But it does not affect my life in a negative way anymore. I was able to lose 10kg and keep it off after all those years and not only I am proud of myself but it changed me completely.
If you are a woman between the age of 25 - 35 with type 1 diabetes and that you are now going through a hard time with your blood glucose, let me tell you that there is hope. More than hope, there is a solution.

Sent from the

Very well done. I love your positive attitude.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

Great attitude!
Everyone should try to feel sexy (except perhaps a nun or a catholic priest )

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
You don't need to lose weight to feel sexy. It's a mindset.

Reactions: 4 people

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are right. Its a mindset .

show me a woman with T1D who is trying to lose weight and is happy.

You are strong - specially in the mind. I admire that. But most if us are still people with people's problems in which among those problems is losing weight to feel confident, happy and even loveable.

Most people with T1D who is struggling to lose weight is having difficulties with their insulin too.

I think there is not enough information on how to lose weight for type 1 diabetics online.

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unless weight loss is needed for health reasons, then no weight loss shouldn't be imposed on people and make people feel pressurised. Type 1 diabetics are 3 times more likely to develop eating disorders. I'm strong because I spent 5 years with eating disorders started from my obsession with feeling the need to lose weight. I'm now the heaviest I've ever been and the healthiest. Weight loss should not be a life goal or even a large goal, unless for health reasons. If you need to lose weight to feel confident, happy and loveable then that's a big problem. Maybe some psychological help and confidence building?

Reactions: 12 people

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You've just put new perspective into my vision about weight loss.

So, you think TID in a way "promote" eating disorder that cause gain weight and that's just psychological.

And some other people thinks that insulin is what turns you into the hunger machines that craves food and snacks most of the time because it hunger and cravings cannot be controlled.

But if there was a system in place that allows you to shed a few kilos without too much pain, would you even consider it?

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No not at all. I think the immense societal and misunderstanding of weight causes people to believe that restrictive ways of eating is the only way they can gain happiness and control. Eating disorders are psychological and the pressure and loss of control that comes from having type 1 can cause disordered behaviour. It's got nothing to do with weight really.
Insulin is a fat storing hormone but it is a life saver, it took me a long time to realise this.

No not at all. I have too many physical complications from my eating disorder and have had awful times because of it. I enjoy being fat and healthy now.

Reactions: 11 people

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love your honesty! If you found happiness, then here you go girl!! I 'm happy for you.

Thank you for responding back. I really liked your point of views.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

This is what is known as a Straw Man argument.

I think you might alienate a lot of people if you are implying that size 8-9 is "borderline obese". Was this doctor anorexic?

Reactions: 12 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Unless weight loss is needed for health reasons, then no weight loss shouldn't be imposed on people and make people feel pressurised. Type 1 diabetics are 3 times more likely to develop eating disorders. I'm strong because I spent 5 years with eating disorders started from my obsession with feeling the need to lose weight. I'm now the heaviest I've ever been and the healthiest. Weight loss should not be a life goal or even a large goal, unless for health reasons. If you need to lose weight to feel confident, happy and loveable then that's a big problem. Maybe some psychological help and confidence building?
One thing that I've realized now that I am 'old' and that is there are no ugly unsexy young people. This revelation dawned on me one day when I was looking at University student pictures. No wonder poets long ago wrote about the 'bloom' being off the rose.

There is a vitality in youth whether thin or heavy - wish I had realized this years ago. ( for us older folk we still look fairly good too lol )

Sent from Runner2009 Burt

Reactions: 8 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No not at all. I think the immense societal and misunderstanding of weight causes people to believe that restrictive ways of eating is the only way they can gain happiness and control. Eating disorders are psychological and the pressure and loss of control that comes from having type 1 can cause disordered behaviour. It's got nothing to do with weight really.
Insulin is a fat storing hormone but it is a life saver, it took me a long time to realise this.

No not at all. I have too many physical complications from my eating disorder and have had awful times because of it. I enjoy being fat and healthy now.

I can understand your point of view. You look to be a beautiful young woman. I have been "fat" since my teens, and it seemed to bother other people more than me. But having hit 18st 9lbs then for the sake of my health I had to take charge, I also have Osteoarthritis and have been turned down for hip surgery because of thru dangers of anaesthesia, I don't know of anyone who likes dieting, and it can and does for some become an obsession..
But if someone has done well and it has boosted their ego, then as long as it does not become an obsession, I applaud their efforts.

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If that's what she wants then of course that's good. It's just the concept that weight loss will allow her to feel 'loveable', unfortunately that is a psychological aspect that needs addressing not physical.

In your case I can completely understand for health reasons. Me accepting my weight saved my life an I think for you the losing weight will help with yours.

I hope you feel better.

Each person has a different struggle. I'm now 14 and a half stone an the healthiest.

Thanks for the confidence boost, but I'm actually just good at taking photos ha.

Reactions: 7 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If that's what she wants then of course that's good. It's just the concept that weight loss will allow her to feel 'loveable', unfortunately that is a psychological aspect that needs addressing not physical.

In your case I can completely understand for health reasons. Me accepting my weight saved my life an I think for you the losing weight will help with yours.

I hope you feel better.

Each person has a different struggle. I'm now 14 and a half stone an the healthiest.

Thanks for the confidence boost, but I'm actually just good at taking photos ha.

Dont-be-too-hard.jpg

H

Hooked

Erm; No one.

You need a new Dr if they say that a size 8-9 is obese.

Shame. I'm beyond hope, being over 35.
BTW: Heavier woman can be sexy too. It's all in the attitude.

But if you are feeling healthier and happier, well done you.

Reactions: 9 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Over 50 and sexy... Forget the weight issues here... This is ageism-lol!!!!

Reactions: 8 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

I am not 100% if this is an eating disorder as i'm not that bothered about my weight however since being diagnosed I only feel happy if I am controlling every carb that goes into my mouth and I know exactly how much insulin to take, it makes me feel obsessive about food as I dream about what I can eat/cook that doesn't involve carbs going into my body, it feels like an eating disorder and I feel really guilty or down if I eat crisps or anything that I know will cause my spike my sugar levels even though I am injecting but I just get so worried about my levels rising all the time and I feel like i'm constantly on edge to get it right - does that fall into an eating disorder category ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't know about an eating disorder, but think you need to liosen up and live a bit more. My consultant told me off for being to anal about my tests, since I've relaxed I've got a much better quality of life and fun and laughter back...
I still test a lot, on a pump I do still change a few things occasionally, BUT I do not analyse everything now and have so much more fun now.