Have you try switching your carbs with fruits?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess there is fruit and fruit. Whole fruit, low GI, I suppose is better for you (to generalise) than other forms of carbs. It has lots of micronutrient benefits, it has fibre, it has slower delivery of glucose perhaps. But not if it is juiced or otherwise high GI - keeping in mind that GI responses vary from individual to individual.

So yes a diet of fruit is probably better than the equivalent amount of bread, pasta and chips.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes i know, but you would intake less calories and still have the energy you need. You would be able to be full and feel satisfied and get the nutrients your body need and still lose weight.
[/url]
I don't know of any scientific evidence why this would be true. Not saying that it isn't true, but I don't know of any evidence. Do you have any experience, or evidence, that it is true?

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I lost weight and my skin was radiant ( that's what people told me ) ;) when i switched my slice of bread to an orange for lunch in week days.

I think that's a piece of evidence but from what i've been told it does not work the same way with everyone.

Do you eat fruit?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I lost weight and my skin was radiant ( that's what people told me ) ;) when i switched my slice of bread to an orange for lunch in week days.

I think that's a piece of evidence but from what i've been told it does not work the same way with everyone.

Do you eat fruit?

It seems plausible to me that replacing bread with fruit could provide more stable insulin and blood glucose levels, allowing you to lose some weight with reduced cravings. Not just one slice of bread though.

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't tease me but the 1 slice of bread was the carbs i was eating for lunch. And even that poor slice of bread got replaced by an orange now.

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Spiker.

If you actively research on this topic a lot, there is a few questions I would love to ask you if you would not mind.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Spiker.

If you actively research on this topic a lot, there is a few questions I would love to ask you if you would not mind.
Surely. Go for it. If I don't know, there are plenty of very knowledgeable people on here who might chip in.

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First question:
Do you think people with type 1 diabetes, especially women, who wants to shred some pounds, have the only one solution, that is to go on a low carbs diet?

2nd Question
What is lacking in the type 1 online world that would bring value to people like us?

I know we are all fighting our individual war with keeping our blood sugar 'tame', but if i go online there is not a programme where we can follow to help us or guide us with our insulin or exercise or nutrition.

If i did not come in this forum and ask questions, there would so many things i would not know .

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the most important challenge in dieting for T1s is to realise they will not succeed in losing weight unless they can bring their total insulin dose down, in parallel.

Low carb isn't the only way to achieve this but it's the best way I know of. For me anyway, other methods require more sustained long term self-denial than I have proved capable of.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First question:
Do you think people with type 1 diabetes, especially women, who wants to shred some pounds, have the only one solution, that is to go on a low carbs diet?

2nd Question
What is lacking in the type 1 online world that would bring value to people like us?

I know we are all fighting our individual war with keeping our blood sugar 'tame', but if i go online there is not a programme where we can follow to help us or guide us with our insulin or exercise or nutrition.

If i did not come in this forum and ask questions, there would so many things i would not know .
To be honest I suspect you are building up to a sales pitch for something, and if so this is a slightly disingenuous way to go about it.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I eat fruit as part of my daily carb intake, blueberries and banana's most days and occasionally will have a pear, apple or a orange if they look nice and tempting :)

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
To be honest I suspect you are building up to a sales pitch for something, and if so this is a slightly disingenuous way to go about it.

LOL, I don't think thats the case but haven't been on here that long does that happen quite often? I've already shamed one person trying to sell snake oil on here.

Reactions: 2 people

alex12390

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
never cut carbs, or inject less! Just exercise more and drink plenty of water! Simple. Your body needs insulin Its hormone related! The more weight you lose the less insulin your body will need anyway. Just eat right, exercise regulary and cut out the rubbish food. Easy as.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
never cut carbs, or inject less! Just exercise more and drink plenty of water! Simple. Your body needs insulin Its hormone related! The more weight you lose the less insulin your body will need anyway. Just eat right, exercise regulary and cut out the rubbish food. Easy as.
"Exercise to the insulin". Well that's a new one. I guess it might work in theory for T2s. But for T1s, it's not still possible to lose weight without progressively reducing insulin. Increasing exercise, at a fixed insulin level, is just going to cause hypos, unless the person was on too little insulin to begin with. For a T1 person with good control to lose weight and maintain good control, the injected insulin needs to be stepped down. "Eat normally and burn it off" works for non diabetics and T2s but not for T1s. If you manage to exercise enough to eliminate the calorie deficit, the excess insulin will cause hypos. If you don't eliminate the calorie deficit, the excess insulin will cause you to gain weight. The only other alternative is if you run your blood sugar high - diabulimia. Then yes you will lose weight but you will do severe harm to yourself.

Reactions: 7 people