Exercise tips?

Christoff456

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ppl

Just joined the forum tonight and this is my 1st post.

I am a 34 yr old male, diagnosed with type 1 since Dec 2013.

I take novorapid (6+8+10) at meal times and lantus (28) at 6pm as well as metformin, statins + ramipril.

I lost a lot of weight when I was diagnosed (obviously) but my weight is now creeping back up.

I have learned that insulin makes you hungrier as it is a hormone :(

I am about to start jogging again but not really done any proper exercise as a diabetic.

Are there any joggers out there with some words of wisdom for me?

Is there any golden rules I need to observe?
Do I need a little carbohydrate snack before I run?
Do I reduce my insulin because of the exercise?

All comments greatly appreciated.

Kelsie

It depends on the length and intensity of your run, initially the exercise will boost your sugar levels due to the release of adrenaline but then your sugar levels will drop from approximately 20 mins of cardio exercise so if your going to go for a run of longer than 30 mins then I generally have a slow releasing 15-20g carb like a banana half hour before exercise. If my session is going to be intense and long then I reduce my mealtime insulin the meal before exercise by about two units. Also if you exercise in the evening, make sure you reduce your background insulin as exercise has an effect on your sugar levels up to 8-10 hours after exercise and very commonly causes night time hypos! That catches many people out including me at the start-I cut my background insulin by a third if I've exercised in the evening :) hope this helps

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reactions: 2 people

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Christoff .

Insulin does not make you hungrier. Having too much of insulin in your system is what makes you hungrier.

I had the same problem too, but i've managed to get the kilos off by checking blood glucose almost most of the time to know when i was having lows and diminishing my insulin instead.

And one other thing , not only does too much insulin makes you more hungry, it makes you a little bit more emotional too.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin does not make you hungrier. Having too much of insulin in your system is what makes you hungrier.
Yes, but... getting the "right" amount of insulin in your bloodstream at every point in time, and avoiding ever having "too much" (or "too little") , is difficult to achieve with injected insulin. It can be achieved with pumps, but a lot of work is required.

Syndie8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And what's if that's the trick we should be aiming at?? With a low carbs diet of around 60 - 80 grams per day for a man and working on getting the insulin almost right.

Reducing the insulin so that there is no hypo during (1) the night (2) 3 hours after each meal including snacks.