Needle length going from 4.5mm to 4mm

Imperial

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to collect my prescription from the pharmacy, told they do not have any 4.5mm needles and will have to order them in or I could take 4mm ones that are available immediately.

As my needles were running low and it is a bank holiday weekend I opted for the 4mm ones.

Has anyone changed needle length before and what was it like?

Thanks

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hi there
4mm work fine for me on a humalogmix pen.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I doubt you will notice the difference. When I went from 6mm to 5mm I didn't notice anything apart from possibly slightly less ouchy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wasn't aware they did a 4.5mm needle, the difference between the two is so small that you will never notice :)

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also wasn't aware they did 4.5mm. I use 4mm which is fine if you are reasonably thin

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I went from 5 to 4 and noticed a lot of difference - so much easier and far less bleeding and bruising. I am very slim and the smaller needles work much better for me.

Smidge

Saracen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I found the 4mm a lot better than the 6.5mm . Not so stinging, not so many bruises etc.

Andi Pandi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic
i have just changed from 6mm to 4mm and find it a little more sore! Though also changed from 2 to 4 injections per day so feeling a bit like a pin cushion.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Well I went the other way, up from 4mm to 8mm for my thighs and 6mm for my stomach. The theory is that as the insulin is delivered at a greater depth it will not aggravate nerve endings which are nearer to the surface of the skin as much - works for me. Thinner the better though.

Reactions: 2 people

T1Taz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in the same boat as logindetails, I changed up to 8mm to reduce buildup of insulin