What do you class as high blood sugars

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I try to stay as close to 5 as I can, Post meal I try to stay below 8 but wouldn't be concerned until I went above 9. I start to get warnings if I drop below 4.1

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
4.1 can be 20% lower.. Or higher.. My pump reads at least 20% higher than my true blood from veins.. I thought I was 4.2 the same time as my blood being taken from arm...knew I had to sat but wanted to see what my true blood result was.... 2.1!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
I'd feel uncomfortable with anything over 5.9 whether it's justifiable to be or not.

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
After being told that my Hba1c of 6.5 was too low I phoned my DN and she said that they would only be worried if my BS was 14. I was horrified as it's never been that high (except when I was first diagnosed with a BS of 63.4). I have decided that as I was doing really well doing my own thing I shall continue to do so and ignore the readings they tell me are acceptable. I don't know where my GP is getting her diabetes information from as her recommendations are not the ones listed by NICE.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@benjygirl, your GP is acting on NHS guidelines by investigating an HBa1c of under 7% for the statistical risk of frequent hypos. But she should back off when you demonstrate that you are not having frequent hypos or loss of hypo awareness.

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
Thanks Spiker for your support. I'm just hoping that my Hba1c will have gone up when I have my retest next week so my GP doesn't keep phoning me. On the other hand I suppose I should be pleased that she is taking such an interest in me. I hear so many stories from diabetics who say they never hear from their GP :)

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
Indeed anything above 7.8 and u will need to change ur insulin dosages... Can increase the basal 2 units per day and remember the fast acting 20 minutes before eating. In fact if u are with an infection it would be better to reduce the amount of food, especially carbs :s Hope u get better soon!!