Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From a GP "If you loose wieght you will cure your diabetes"". Being Type 1 since I was 7 if I thought being slim would cure my diabetes I'd be a size 6!!!!

Reactions: 8 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of my favourites,
"Have you still got that?"

A work colleague trying to get her head around the difference between Type 1 and 2 was told by another colleague that Type 1 is the one you are born with and Type 2 is the one you get when you are older.

And obviously all of the "Are you allowed to eat that?" nonsense I've had over the years

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had someone at work tell me the other day that I shouldn't drink flavoured water because it tastes sweet and was fizzy.
Then he went through my lunch and told me that it was all wrong for me, then when he saw me do my injection he said I was doing it wrong.

I asked if he had diabetes or knew anyone that did and he said he doesn't!

That was my most recent one.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelsie

"Oh, it's best you don't have a biscuit, don't want you going hypo on me!"...hmmm yeah, we wouldn't want that!

"Please don't have a hypo, I don't want to use an epi pen on you!"...I really hope you wouldn't!

And the best one "if you ate this bar of chocolate, would you die?"

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
This is definitely the best! My uni and work boss always say to me 'have you got your insulin on you incase you go low!' OMG!!!!!!! I just think I bloody hope I don't collapse from a hypo cos they are just going to kill me by giving me more insulin!

Reactions: 21 people

ChrisWoodward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I have had too many to list, obviously all the normal ones like:
"but you're not fat how can you have diabetes"
"does that mean you have too much sugar or too little?"
"you cant eat that"
but and here is my favorite:
"when do you have to have your feet amputated? errr I dont, my nan did so I think you might have to you should ask the doctors"
o_O

Reactions: 2 people

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From an A+E nurse - after a bad hypo the Dr asked her to make me a sweet cup of tea, she brought me an unsweetened tea so I asked for sugar the response was "I'll get you some sweeteners" when I said that wont work I need sugar "it's the same"

Reactions: 13 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about "May many times do you stab yourself?"
Oh you know, I get that big knife out of the kitchen and stab myself quite often!

Lol

Indiana x

Reactions: 6 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is definitely the best! My uni and work boss always say to me 'have you got your insulin on you incase you go low!' OMG!!!!!!! I just think I bloody hope I don't collapse from a hypo cos they are just going to kill me by giving me more insulin!

My wife likes the show 2 Broke Girls (I don't by the way) and in an episode a few weeks ago there was a diabetic character who had a hypo, collapsed on the floor yet they miraculously revived him instantly by injecting him with insulin. I sighed and went to make myself a cup of tea and made a note never to tell anyone where I keep my insulin in case they try this stunt.

Reactions: 18 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
People saying "only diabetes , it could be worse".

I don't doubt it could be a whole lot worse but you asked me what was wrong, I didn't expect a run down of terminal illnesses I have been lucky enough to escape so far.

The other in relation to being partially sighted due to retinopathy is "have you thought about getting some new glasses or trying contact lenses"? I feel like shouting it's my retinas that are knackered, do you really think I would be like this if a new pair of glasses would do the trick?

Last edited by a moderator:

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My wife likes the show 2 Broke Girls (I don't by the way) and in an episode a few weeks ago there was a diabetic character who had a hypo, collapsed on the floor yet they miraculously revived him instantly by injecting him with insulin. I sighed and went to make myself a cup of tea and made a note never to tell anyone where I keep my insulin in case they try this stunt.
Worst is when you see them 'injecting insulin' into the vein in the crook of their arm. Please don't let anyone who watches television shows like this inject me.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

This has to be my biggest fear. The amount of people that have said they'll inject me if I pass out is scary.
What makes them think they'll know how much to inject us by? And which insulin to use? And where to inject it? Very frightening to think about.

Indiana x

Reactions: 5 people
H

Hooked

Well that's almost... informed! Type 2 being the type that goes high, Type 1 (or insulin dependent) being the type that goes low. You can sort of see how it makes sense.

Well my sugars were sitting at around the 20 mark that day and I was told tales of the two times another diabetic that works there had severe hypos - she's T2. o_O

H

Hooked

I had someone at work tell me the other day that I shouldn't drink flavoured water because it tastes sweet and was fizzy.
Then he went through my lunch and told me that it was all wrong for me, then when he saw me do my injection he said I was doing it wrong.

I asked if he had diabetes or knew anyone that did and he said he doesn't!

That was my most recent one.

Indiana x

You've reminded me on a story my cousin once told me about a T1 diabetic at her work. He was explaining his diabetes to his work colleagues and explained to them that if he went hypo he MUST have a drink of Coke - and that it was the fizz that he needed to get his levels back up. It HAD to be fizzy. She gently asks if it wasn't in fact the sugar in the drink that was important, regardless of wether it was fizzy or not. Nope, he informed them, it HAS to be fizzy.
What hope do non diabetics have of getting it right when that's someone that needs to know his stuff?! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has to be my biggest fear. The amount of people that have said they'll inject me if I pass out is scary.
What makes them think they'll know how much to inject us by? And which insulin to use? And where to inject it? Very frightening to think about.

Indiana x

They would probably inject the whole bloody lot...300 units that should do the trick.

Reactions: 9 people
H

Hooked

From an A+E nurse - after a bad hypo the Dr asked her to make me a sweet cup of tea, she brought me an unsweetened tea so I asked for sugar the response was "I'll get you some sweeteners" when I said that wont work I need sugar "it's the same"
That's blummin scary!