High blood sugars but low GI eating. Max 100g-120g carbs a day.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
Hence i try my very best to eat right and exercise. I dont have much weight to lose. Just a couple of lbs on my tummy but its not enough to cause my constant raised sugars.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So it looks like your correction ratio is about 1:1, and your carb ratio is about 1u per 15gch, something like that? As you are going persistently high from meal to meal, I would strongly suggest increasing your carb ratio. Maybe start with 1u per 10gch, and raise it from there (slowly) until you start to see normal range BG pre-meal. At the same time check your overnight BG carefully (maybe wake up middle of the night to check) and be prepared to drop the basal if you start getting hypos. One rule of thumb would be, for every extra unit of bolus insulin you are taking during the day, drop off one unit of Levemir per day. That might drop the Levemir slightly too much, but that's better than having a hypo, and easily corrected. And it's possible your Levemir is correct. But I'm pretty sure your bolus insulin ratios are too low.

Is it possible for you to have a fasting period to confirm if your correction ratio is correct? I'm wary of suggesting you increase this, but with highs at every meal it's hard to distinguish which ratio is to blame - could be both. It helps to nail one variable down at a time and then work on the others. In some ways the correction ratio is the easiest one to nail down.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
For t'others i set myself a goal of 40% from complex carbs, 30% from non saturated fats and 30% lean protein. My docs, consultants and diabetes team are all aware of this for the last 2 years and are happy with it. I just cant understand why lately my sugars have started swinging high.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont have a high protein %. Im veggie so i have to source different forms of protein just to get to 30% a day.

I try to keep my protein intake normal to protect my kidneys or about 15E%. As a low carber with 5E% carbs that leaves me with 80E% fat. On this regime I can manage quite well but I am type 2 on diet only. If I keep to this regime my bg is perfectly normal but the slightest deviation from the narrow path makes me go high.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm getting a "Doh!" moment here. As this problem has only started in the last two weeks, and your BG has been good and stable on this regime for the last 2 plus years - is it possible that one or more of your insulins has gone off? Either the Levemir or the Novorapid. Did you try replacing the cartridge of both from a fresh batch? Check the fridge is cold (but not freezing), check the expiry dates? Apologies if this was already raised.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yep. Been through 2 new cartridges of each in last couple of weeks. It really sucks as I try so hard!

Not read the whole thread but I wonder if your having problems with your injection sites and this is the cause of your erratic bg readings, if your injecting QA insulin into one particular area (say the stomach) try using the arms and see if this makes a difference.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi penny I got that your levemir is already split I was suggesting that you take the 40unit dose in the evening split and the 40unit dose in the morning split so 4 injections in total to reduce the potential for pooling when it's such large amounts. The 40units in one go could potentially be damaging the tissue. It's equivalent to 0.4ml which doesn't sound much but in such tight space, could be slowing down absorption and negating some of the effect. For the needle size you can get down to 4mm now so you should be able to use that most places around the body, to give your tummy a break.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
I think I'm getting a rise from my coffee. I woke up at 5.30 with 8.7 and by 7.51 pre breakfast is 14! My only consumable was coffee.

Attachments

• 1398840917196.jpg
    1398840917196.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 205

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you do any correction dose at 0530?

Last edited by a moderator: