Snake chease things 30 mins later
Please help

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Twisterr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It might me the fact that now you have to eat less of it so your more desperate to have it

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Well let's start
Breakfast srambal egg
Lunch pasta and bread
Dinner cottage pie and chocolate for pudding
Snake chease things 30 mins later
Please help

Go through the house and get rid of the bad things.
Try online shopping after you have eaten.
Plan meals in advance and get the ingredients in good time.
Make sure that you start to cook before you're too hungry. I always want carbs when I'm hungry.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know how long you were showing symptoms of diabetes before you were diagnosed? As well as regulating blood sugars, insulin also has a big affect on our appetites. The more insulin in your body, the hungrier you will be. If you went a long time without any insulin, your hunger may well have been affected. Now you are getting your medication, you may be finding that your appetite has come back with a vengeance. This is just my speculation, not based on any science, apologies for that!

T1Taz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reckon it's like reverse psychology, when you're told no you want more. When I went off chocolate all I could think about was chocolate. A few years back I did plus size modeling & was told I shouldn't lose weight cos they didn't need anymore size14s, my first thought was "desserts here I come" but when it came to it I didn't want them cos they were no longer forbidden. Maybe it's just me but food/eating can be psychological

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I reckon it's like reverse psychology, when you're told no you want more. When I went off chocolate all I could think about was chocolate. A few years back I did plus size modeling & was told I shouldn't lose weight cos they didn't need anymore size14s, my first thought was "desserts here I come" but when it came to it I didn't want them cos they were no longer forbidden. Maybe it's just me but food/eating can be psychological
I'm sure there's definitely an element of truth to this! In order to stop myself eating something, I tell myself that I can have it if I want it but is it a good idea? That usually stops me. I only seem to want carbs if I've got really hungry but as soon as I eat something satiating like a piece of cheese, the craving goes away. I had rice and bread recently, spiked massively and it really put me off. The rice wasn't what I remembered and although it was scary I realised that I didn't need or want to eat it again.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can I put this together with your other post
Why are Glucoses high at dinner and lunch time it's was after a long time 5hrs at lunch at 4 at dinner so why are my Glucose high ??? Please help I have been type 1 for 6 months and carb counting 1to 9 carb rashio at breakfast and dinner and at 1 to 11 at lunch and for Snacks

I don't think that you are addicted to carbohydrates. It depends on how much you eat at each meal but on the face of it you don't actually seem to be eating huge amounts for a young man. I do think that if you have put everything in that you are lacking in veg and fibre!. These bulk out meals and make you feel more full as well as supplying necessary vitamins and minerals .

. I disagree with a previous post , the control of appetite is extremely complicated but insulin is an appetite suppressant not stimulant (that's partially why people who are insulin resistant are more hungry)
(I can't find an easy article on this; this one is one of the simpler ones ,' insulin along with leptin dampens appetite by.....
http://www.medbio.info/horn/time 5/appetite and weight control nov06 v2.htm

You say that before meals your glucose levels are too high. When you have high glucose (it maybe because) the glucose isn't getting into the cells where it's needed and so the body signals that it wants to be fed.

As it's about 7 months since you were diagnosed it may mean that your honeymoon period is coming to an end so you may need to start re adjusting your insulin.
Certainly starting a meal with high glucose levels means you need more insulin than you would normally do just to get back to normal levels. If your basal isn't right then even if you get the glucose down it then rises between meals leading to rollercoaster glucose levels.
First you need to make sure that your basal insulin is correct. This is why and how to test it.
http://integrateddiabetes.com/Articles/insu/basal insulin for friends with diabetes.pdf
Once you've got that right then you can adjust your carb/insulin ratio.
Obviously you may need to discuss adjusting your basal with your HCP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember that pre diagnosis I often had no appetite at all, although at other times I had a ravenous appetite, towards the end (just before diagnosis) I had mostly no appetite. Once I was diagnosed and on insulin, a very healthy appetite returned, and I was glad of it frankly. I put weight on and got back to a healthy weight. I did not try low carbing for a very long time after diagnosis (Bernstein's book had not even been written I think.) I'm not sure how I would have handled low carbing back then but I suspect the answer is "not very well".

There is definitely something about insulin that increases appetite, notwithstanding the research that @phoenix just quoted. Maybe it's the blood sugar drop, rather than the insulin as such, but too much insulin definitely makes me very hungry and it's a big problem in trying to maintain weight and in trying to reduce carbs. Because carbs plus injected insulin cause erratic blood sugar (compared to non-carb sources of calories), the erratic blood sugar levels lead to hunger feelings which can lead to eating more carbs. So the solution to craving carbs, paradoxically, is to reduce the carbs.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@phoenix, thanks for posting that MedBio review article. It's very interesting. It explains the GLUT2-GK mechanism as the reason for blood sugar drops causing hunger. I have a slightly different take from you on what it is saying about insulin. I think it is saying that elevated blood insulin suppresses appetite. And of course elevated blood insulin will soon cause a drop in blood sugar (and decrease in blood insulin) that will cause hunger. So I guess there are two opposing mechanisms there, and what would be important is the relative timing of the two processes.

My point is to distinguish between the effect of injected insulin on hunger and the effect of elevated blood insulin on hunger. With perfectly timed matching of injected insulin delivery to food, there would be a minimal rise in blood insulin. With anything less than perfect matching, there will be some kind of wave pattern with falling, rising, falling blood insulin, and a slightly lagging inverse of that wave pattern for blood sugar.

I was also surprised that the article describes an appetite regulation mechanism for glucose. Taubes states that there is no satiety mechanism for carbs, and this is one of his arguments for the low carb diet. So this comes as a shock to me.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a heretic that believes Taubes got lots of things wrong. Here's Dr Sharma talking about some more recent research that suggests there may be a difference between the influence of glucose on appetite in the obese and non obese. http://www.drsharma.ca/obesityblood-glucose-levels-modulate-neural-control-of-appetite. (I'm sure, in fact I know that you will be able to find bloggers who will say the opposite!). Dr Sharma also reports on a study that found that found that ghrelin which usually stimulates appetite when hungry, was suppressed on a ketogenic diet. (glucose levels were actually slightly higher) This may explain your lack of appetite just before diagnosis when ketones were rising. http://www.drsharma.ca/effect-of-ketosis-on-appetite-hormones.html As I said it's complex, no-one has all the answers and I suspect that there will be differences between those of us who are diabetic and those that aren't

Personally, I miss the feeling of hunger and anticipation of a good meal that I had when I'd missed a meal or for example been out for a long cold walk with a delicious casserole awaiting me. It's now only with very low glucose levels that I will feel very hungry. :(

But to go back to the original post, I still think that getting insulin levels right is crucial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people