Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The current NHS guidance is as follows:

Non-diabetics before a meal 4 to 5.9, 2 hours after a meal under 7.8
Type 2 diabetics before a meal 4 to 7, 2 hours after a meal under 8.5

Many people on this forum try to aim for the non-diabetic range.

Are you testing yourself? If so, what are some of your readings? What was your HbA1c level when diagnosed?

crazicarol

My HbA thing (lol) was 20. Have got a moniter so have been checking my bg. I have also just gone up to 2 metformin a day so thought my bg would go down but instead it's shot up . It was 10.4 last night then was 17.6 first thing this morning. I just can't get my head round it all :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't fret. We were all the same when first diagnosed. It will take time to understand what is happening and how to control things.
Firstly, the Metformin isn't a wonder drug. It does help, but only in conjunction with a suitable diet. It is carbohydrates that cause blood sugar levels to be high and only by reducing these drastically will you see them fall. You must try to avoid potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, pastry and batter. If you can't do without bread, swap to a granary/heavily seeded type and only one slice. If you absolutely have to eat potatoes and rice, the answer is a very strict portion control. One or two new or roast potatoes is enough. Some people find they can manage this, some people can't cope with any of these foods. Only by trial and error and testing before and 2 hours after a meal will you find out what your body can cope with. The good news is fat doesn't have any effect on blood sugars so you can have a nice fry up using olive oil or rapeseed oil (eggs, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms) and butter, cream, yogurts etc.

I don't mean to be personal, but are you overweight? If so it is important to lose this weight as this will help enormously.

Baby steps to begin with, try not to stress about it, and ask as many questions as you have. We are all in this together.

Reactions: 2 people

crazicarol

Thank you and yes I'm overweight and my cholesterol levels are high too the dr wants to give me medication for that when I have my 2nd vist in a couple of weeks so I'm trying to keep low with both carbs and fat. I rebelled at the weekend and ate a full box of fudge to myself ( regretted it after tho)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you and yes I'm overweight and my cholesterol levels are high too the dr wants to give me medication for that when I have my 2nd vist in a couple of weeks so I'm trying to keep low with both carbs and fat. I rebelled at the weekend and ate a full box of fudge to myself ( regretted it after tho)

Do you know the choesterol break down numbers, triglycerides, LDL and HDL?

High bad cholesterol is often caused by high carb but rarely by high fat low carb so you may want to eat more fat when you cut down on carbs. Fat is our best friend as diabetics!

I can recommend the Dietdoctor:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight
http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes
https://www.dietdoctor.com/science

When I follow the advice on dietdoctor.com I can keep my bg perfectly normal, 4-5.5 or so. If I stray and have carbs I get readings in the teens.

Reactions: 2 people