Just been diagnosed with Type 2

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Thanks for all for looking at my post.

I have today been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I know that my diet has not been correct for a very long time and most days it has been fast food and soft drinks, energy drinks, crisps and chocolate, anything that i can take and eat at my desk at work.

My diet has now got to change. Not sure how but I would like any ideas for lunch and drinks. I am a 43 year old male and slightly overweight. I have started walking 2 miles a day to try and bring weight under control.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated and thanks once again for looking at my post

Regards

I thought I could deal with it by changing my diet,, what a daft idea I was useless, in denial for a couple years finally had to take tablets
And now I am reducing carbs quite a bit, still have a sandwich if its Whole grain bread , try and have porridge some days, totally avoid sugar
and try and eat low glycemic foods ( look it up ) , I try to be good most of the time but I'm not rigid , I do try to avoid Pies and pastry and definitely the
worst thing to eat is doughnuts , I found gassy drinks are all bad, Except for Tonic Water it has quinine in it, good for muscle cramps, I try to water down all drinks not sure if it helps, it's a work in progress, the hardest thing was stopping the crisps but I now just have a nibble instead of 3 packets a day, now that I have to take tablets Metformin, , as nothing else worked, I am starting to lose some weight now, quite pleased as it will help,
if you do take tablets, keep an eye on potassium levels to prevent bad cramps,

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

Thanks for all for looking at my post.

I have today been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I know that my diet has not been correct for a very long time and most days it has been fast food and soft drinks, energy drinks, crisps and chocolate, anything that i can take and eat at my desk at work.

My diet has now got to change. Not sure how but I would like any ideas for lunch and drinks. I am a 43 year old male and slightly overweight. I have started walking 2 miles a day to try and bring weight under control.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated and thanks once again for looking at my post

Regards

Hi there Tosh,
Hope you are beginning to get to grips with your diabetes - a good decision come to this forum as it is an excellent place to find advice and get loads of support.
I can see that you have already got some great advice. Another place you might like to look (in the weeks to come, when you feel ready to take on board some more information) is the Team Blood Glucose website (www.teambloodglucose.com) and find your way around the type 2 diabetes 'kit bag'. Also, if your fitness begins to improve and would like to find out more about the technicalities of blood glucose management with exercise: www.runsweet.com
Hoping you are managing to find good tips for a lower carb diet here on the forum.
Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I thought I could deal with it by changing my diet,, what a daft idea I was useless, in denial for a couple years finally had to take tablets
And now I am reducing carbs quite a bit, still have a sandwich if its Whole grain bread , try and have porridge some days, totally avoid sugar
and try and eat low glycemic foods ( look it up ) , I try to be good most of the time but I'm not rigid , I do try to avoid Pies and pastry and definitely the
worst thing to eat is doughnuts , I found gassy drinks are all bad, Except for Tonic Water it has quinine in it, good for muscle cramps, I try to water down all drinks not sure if it helps, it's a work in progress, the hardest thing was stopping the crisps but I now just have a nibble instead of 3 packets a day, now that I have to take tablets Metformin, , as nothing else worked, I am starting to lose some weight now, quite pleased as it will help,
if you do take tablets, keep an eye on potassium levels to prevent bad cramps,

Hi Tigerkitty,
Sounds as though you are making progress:). Thank you for the note about potassium levels causing cramps - I guess a banana should do the job?

johnnym1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Welcome :)

Phew what a shock huh

dont panic! there is alot to learn and take in right now, youve found the best place to learn what you need to know

have you been given a meter? these are very useful to us as we can test which foods make our blood glucose rise, so if the doc didnt give you one, you may need to buy one

a good place to start is to cut out or drastically reduce your carbohydrates, the obvious foods to avoid are bread, rice, pasta and potatoes, now when you give this some thought you will probly feel like there is little else left to eat but you will learn that this is not the case, there is plenty of stuff to eat, have a look at the forums recipe sections, they are great, carbs basically turn into sugar once eaten so eating a slice of bread is eating sugar as far as your body is concerned, this is a huge subject so i would suggest having a good long read of the forum

try not to worry about all the complications you will no doubt be reading about, with good control these are avoidable in most cases

so in an effort to not overload you with info, go right ahead and ask questions, we are here to help when you need it

best of luck

johnnym1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just diagnosed today as Type 2. Really confused as to what best to eat. Is it ok to still eat potatoes, rice and pasta?

Sheet from doctor says yes.Others say no. Help please!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Just diagnosed today as Type 2. Really confused as to what best to eat. Is it ok to still eat potatoes, rice and pasta?

Sheet from doctor says yes.Others say no. Help please!

Hi, Welcome

The doctors sheet is a load of sheet

carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta and potatoes) effectively turn to sugar, so its a very good idea to avoid or reduce them as much as possible

do you have a meter to self test your bloods? if not you need to get one from the chemist or the internet, this is essential so you can test for yourself what effect food is having on your blood sugar levels (another thing doctors often say is not needed pfffft)

have a read of the forum and ask any questions you may have

dont worry, its not as bad as it seems right now

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya johnny, welcome. I found that the advice I got from my gp was rubbish!. What I did was completely cut out breAd, rice, potatoes, pasta, flour, fruit, sugar. Don't panic, there's plenty wonderful food for you to enjoy. Look at the low carb forum for inspiration. I bought a book called the wheat belly, it made a lot of sense. I know how scary the diagnosis is but you can make such a difference with the right food. Hugs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

johnnym1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks Andy

Going to get a meter. Going to on this advice cut down on spuds etc and keep looking on here for advice.