Night shift advice

nclemale

Hi all . I am about to undertake a 3 month stint on night shift . I have previously done a long term night shift many years ago and I didn't cope too well with it . I am much more in control these days But just wanted some advice on how best to switch from days to nights on days off etc . And maybe any tips on kinds of food to eat . last time I did it I just swapped my meals with the relevant time I would of ate it . so breakfast would become my meal at night time before I start work and vice versa for my meal when I get home after work and have my main meal in the morning . does this also help with sleep patterns ?? Thanks in advance

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The only thing I would say is confirm your basal amount is correct before you start, if not you may get a lot of swings in blood sugar when your meal times change. And test frequently, particularly on the changes between night and day, that will be the trickiest part. I would also not aim for the tightest control, give yourself some slack, or you will have a risk of hypos.

Adrian1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have recently performed a month or two of night shifts and kept my meal times the same as I normally would over the weekend.
I ate breakfast at 6am before going to bed, I ate lunch at 15:00 when I got up and I had dinner around 19:00.
My night shifts were quite short which allowed me to do this but depending on your shift would decide if this would suit you.

The affects I found from doing this were as follows.
I found that my blood was a lot lower at 15:00 testing. My reason for this was because the duration between breakfast and lunch on a night shift was nearly 9 hrs (6am-15:00) where on a weekend it would be 5hrs (7am-12).

The other affect I had was that it was a struggle not to snack during work as I was going from 19:00 until 06:00 without a meal.
I was working from home so snack availability and testing was not an issue if I did suddenly need something.

After writing this maybe I was wrong in my approach but I thought it would be easier not changing any meal and injection times.
Let us know how you get on and what works for you.

All the best.
Regards
Adrian

nclemale

Thanks guys but I certainly couldn't go a full nights work without a meal of some sort as I prob would be hypo by about midnight . I think swapping meal times from am to pm and vice versa .