Bad hypo

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I contacted Lucozade a couple of months ago asking if they would consider changing all their bottle tops to flip-tops (seeing as the medical profession that drum the need for lucozade into all diabetics are probably responsible for a large proportion of their annual sales!) I've had an acknowledgement. I don't really expect to hear anything further.
Could you also ask them to put a warning on Lucozade Sport saying "Not suitable for treating hypoglycemia"? :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
Oh my God u almost make me drop a tear... First time I see anyone who understands how much drained u feel after a hypo. My family doesnt get it; they are just so annoyed at me (they usually give me white bread with jam until I recover my senses) but to read this is so relaxing, to know that there is people in the world who knows :s
Hope u have a good night of sleep so u can get all right again!!
* If anyone knows any sort of recomendation to soften the damage to the brain afterwards a hard hypo would loooove to read about it :)

Reactions: 4 people

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
Chocolate makes you feel good (serotonin effect) so thats why you were able to be okish even though you were low on yr bg meter. You will probably go a bit high due to the delayed rise of the choc. Take it all in yr stride....2moz is another day....next time try to use 3 jellybabies or some lucozade or something similar. Pumps are a learning curve....youll be ok

Just remember that what brings u back from hypo land is the amount of glucose aka sugar or carbs that u eat... Based on years of experience chocolate, despite does have some sugar, is not the amount required to act fast enough. Chocolate also contains grease, and fats absorb much slower.
Understand that u can take advantage of it and indulge on a "guilty" pleasure but next time u can have some sort of cookies or biscuits that contain chocolate ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Hooked, if you compare Lucozade Sport with normal Lucozade it has much lower carbs. Per 100ml normal lucozade has 17.2g carbs (of which sugars 8.7g but all of the 17.2g is glucose based), and lucozade sport has 6.4g carbs (of which sugars 3.5g). That's a massive difference.

Reactions: 2 people
H

Hooked

@Hooked, if you compare Lucozade Sport with normal Lucozade it has much lower carbs. Per 100ml normal lucozade has 17.2g carbs (of which sugars 8.7g but all of the 17.2g is glucose based), and lucozade sport has 6.4g carbs (of which sugars 3.5g). That's a massive difference.
Ah, I see. I never use it, so didn't know. Worth remembering. Thank you.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And the reduced carbs in Lucozade Sport are also formulated for slower release.

Reactions: 4 people

leenic11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find my hypos come early morning around 6 to 7 in the morning and my sugar levels are around low 3 high 2 it feels so horrible when it feels nothing is working