Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm t2 and I have hypo's what difference does it make what type you are?

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.
Well you've obviously got the kid that goes low, not th ekind that goes high ;)

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'You must have done something to bring diabetes on although you're not fat or old, just didn't eat right?'

Another one which really makes me bite my lips is...

'Well at least you can control it, so you shouldn't have any problems!'

Wow people know how to make you feel great

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'You must have done something to bring diabetes on although you're not fat or old, just didn't eat right?'

Another one which really makes me bite my lips is...

'Well at least you can control it, so you shouldn't have any problems!'

Wow people know how to make you feel great

Inferring when it does go wrong that'll be your fault then! Cause as we know it's a really bloody easy thing to control isn't it. Many people believe it is just a case of having a couple of injections a day and then forgetting about it.

Reactions: 2 people

Danny Prince

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My Likes
Didn't read through all the comments so sorry if someone already said, "so you're not alowed sugar or you'll die?" "would you die if you had a bottle of coke"

Reactions: 5 people

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Auckland Canary exactly! It's like people think you deserve it or something! Yeah I really deserve all the injections and hypers/hypos and feeling so tired I could sleep for days and days! But there are worse things you can have than diabetes!

Haha I wouldn't die if I had a bottle of coke but would defo blow up my blood tester :) haha

este

The worst one I ever had was when my science teacher had us read through an outdated text book about diabetes, complete with a graph of diabetes 'sufferers' and their ages. He said to the class 'why do you think there aren't any older patients with diabetes?' and after a few moments of silence exclaimed 'because they're all dead' - still have no idea if he knew I was Type 1, but I went home and cried to my mum, I was only 15 at the time. Luckily I now know this not to be true but I still think about it to this day and wonder if he knew what he said caused so much upset.

Reactions: 3 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Shouldn't you go and inject in the toilet instead of in public?"
Yeah... sure... because that is exactly the nice clean conditions that all medical procedures should be carried out in.

I should perhaps make it clear I inject where I can when I need to and don't think I should go hide, I'm discreet but generally try and at least do it in a clean environment if I can.

Reactions: 10 people

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject in to my bum, gets some rather chilly looks I must say! But it's not like I get my **** out in public it's just the lower back top of cheek!

Or maybe they think it's not insulin it's heroin or something! Who knows?

I find it quite amusing actually! I can't inject in my legs anymore as they gone all lumpy :( so **** it is xxx

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The worst one I ever had was when my science teacher had us read through an outdated text book about diabetes, complete with a graph of diabetes 'sufferers' and their ages. He said to the class 'why do you think there aren't any older patients with diabetes?' and after a few moments of silence exclaimed 'because they're all dead' - still have no idea if he knew I was Type 1, but I went home and cried to my mum, I was only 15 at the time. Luckily I now know this not to be true but I still think about it to this day and wonder if he knew what he said caused so much upset.

I would have cried too, how inconsiderate of the teacher to say such a thing, whether he knew you had diabetes or not there was a good chance that someone in the class might have had a relation or friend with diabetes.

Reactions: 7 people

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had the same one today...so you have the one where you need to be careful of going high or low? Er...yes.

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had this one said to me many times.

Diabetes!? But why you are so young...

I had this one said to me by a doctor in South India while I was trying to catch my wife's projectile vomit in a bin...

keri

Someone said to me 'woah you have the worst diabetes every (type one) you are going to die in your 20's are you scared? Haha:')

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who say things like "You're Diabetic? Did you eat too much sugar?"
My personal experiences include:
" Did you eat too much sugar?"
"You can't have sugar?"
"Can you eat that?" (Although I realise this is more of a concern than a stupid comment.)
"I could never be a diabetic. I'm scared of needles/blood."

Reactions: 4 people