should you reuse pen needles

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I never really felt any great discomfort when reusing needles except when I first started off using glass syringes and we had those needles (that looked like knitting needles) and we were told to reuse them time and time again. However what I'm saying is, once you do begin to change the needle after every injection you do notice the difference when you forget to change the needle, that is why I suspect those needle pics using a microscope are probably a true reflection of what a reused needle looks like.

As said earlier, it's up to the individual what they want to do with regards to changing needles.
Fair points, indeed.

Reactions: 2 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I know what you mean, there is sometimes a 'catch' or it feels rough. Like with pain, I would always change the needle at that point. But seriously, changing needles once per cartridge, so 20-40 injections per cartridge, over nearly 20 years, I've never had a problem with infection or hyperlipotrophy. I would say it's less than one time in four that I even need to change the needle before the cartridge is done (due to feeling pain or roughness).

I've had just the same sensation, but what it seems to me that I've hit a nerve cell right on the head, if I move slightly over often it doesn't hurt on the new skin area.

As for the questions about the study, no offense taken. I know nothing about it and it could be rubbish like many studies are. It basically said there was little if any risk for reusing pen needles and mirrored my own experience and what was told to me by the free community clinic MDs.

I've personally taken needle nose pliers to pen needles and those needles are tough little buggers. The only time I won't use them if they are bent or I can't prime it with a unit or two - I've not used new ones that won't prime.

Actually I believe this reusing issue is really a non issue especially when considering the plethora of other serious issues facing us diabetics - like shrinking brains (-;

Thx you for reiterating the forum philosophy of sharing experiences and not being overly harsh to members when they do ask questions and share their experiences. This forum IMO is a incredible resource and for most part a safe place to share and learn without fear of being critiqued.

I remember when I was first diagnosed, after a week in Hospital with a H1AC of 13.6 - didn't even know what that meant. I was so afraid and overwhelmed and alone. I only wish I had discovered the forum sooner.

I do hope that the woman who started this thread returns as she seemed to be very dedicated in controlling her diabetic condition and I am sure she has a lot to contribute.

Sent from Runner2009 Burt

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
I'll reply based on my experience. Since dont have any kind of insurance and all my diabetes equipment must be paid in cash, for the last 15 years I've been reusing my needles (of course initially discartable syringes afterward pen needles). As long as it is a high quality one (I know Novo) you can change them 4-6 times a week for each pen (basal & fast). I wouldnt recommend this though on people who may have kidney damage or low defenses... But it is possible as long as u dont abuse the sharpness of the needles. A note about this? Be careful with Lipohypertrophy in case u know anyone who might still be using syringes :)

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had just the same sensation, but what it seems to me that I've hit a nerve cell right on the head, if I move slightly over often it doesn't hurt on the new skin area.

For me there are two distinct sensations. There is direct pain and as you say that often feels like hitting a nerve. But there is another sensation where there is just too much resistance going through the skin, like it's tearing through rather than smoothly puncturing without resistance. That happened to me very rarely, maybe one needle in a hundred (and I was reusing them a lot). Again that was an immediate discard when that happened.

I've personally taken needle nose pliers to pen needles and those needles are tough little buggers. The only time I won't use them if they are bent or I can't prime it with a unit or two - I've not used new ones that won't prime.
Yes they are incredibly tough and sharp. They are miracles of engineering really. Like you if it won't prime normally I don't use it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I want to talk about the benefits of needle reuse, which need to be balanced against the purported harms and risks. There is the cash benefit for those who are self funding. There is the benefit of saving the NHS and your GP money for those who are not self funded.

But there are also non cash benefits. For me, not changing the needle each shot turned a conspicuous 30 second operation requiring carried supplies into a discreet 5 second operation with no "logistics". This made a huge difference to me in terms of injecting at work, in public, at restaurants, etc. I don't consider myself shy about injecting in public, and I am in some ways fairly militant about it, but nonetheless calling attention to myself feels quite inhibiting in a lot of those situations. I am sure that the quick injection, without finding, opening, adding and then disposing of a needle, has helped me to take literally thousands of timely injections that I otherwise would have skipped or delayed. The positive health benefits of that hugely outweigh the purported harms and risks.

Reactions: 12 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reused some needles recently when I forgot to pick up new ones... I wouldn't do it again, simply because it hurted more and I was left with bruises.

I heard there also may be an issue with insulin leaking when needles is left on a pen?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I heard there also may be an issue with insulin leaking when needles is left on a pen?
Not leaking as such, the amounts are tiny, but by being open to the air it may go off faster. In my experience it was never an issue for a cartridge in active use, which would never last more than a week anyway.

Travelling enthusiast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

As for the questions about the study, no offense taken. I know nothing about it and it could be rubbish like many studies are. It basically said there was little if any risk for reusing pen needles and mirrored my own experience and what was told to me by the free community clinic MDs.

Actually I believe this reusing issue is really a non issue especially when considering the plethora of other serious issues facing us diabetics - like shrinking brains (-;

Thx you for reiterating the forum philosophy of sharing experiences and not being overly harsh to members when they do ask questions and share their experiences. This forum IMO is a incredible resource and for most part a safe place to share and learn without fear of being critiqued.

I remember when I was first diagnosed, after a week in Hospital with a H1AC of 13.6 - didn't even know what that meant. I was so afraid and overwhelmed and alone. I only wish I had discovered the forum sooner.

I do hope that the woman who started this thread returns as she seemed to be very dedicated in controlling her diabetic condition and I am sure she has a lot to contribute.

Sent from Runner2009 Burt
Whay are our brains shrinking? First the needles and now this, things just keep getting worse :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Check the Diabetes News area of the forum for the bad news about shrinking brains. Diabetic brains age faster. Hence my picture. I'm actually only 18.

Reactions: 7 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, not changing the needle each shot turned a conspicuous 30 second operation requiring carried supplies into a discreet 5 second operation with no "logistics".
The pen cover isn't designed to fit a pen with a needle attached, so how do you avoid it getting blunted from hitting the sides of the case? Or if you reattach the needle shield, then how do you save time?

Mrs of type 1

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband was told by his Diabetic nurse that he can use the same needle for a day ( 4 Novarapid injections) but to use a new needle every time for the Lantus, she wouldn't prescribe more needles so he has been using the same needle twice, he's had no problems yet but I always thought you should have a new needle every time to avoid infections and the needle going blunt. She said there was no need and I had been reading too much on the internet! I think it's a way for the NHS to save money.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
The pen cover isn't designed to fit a pen with a needle attached, so how do you avoid it getting blunted from hitting the sides of the case? Or if you reattach the needle shield, then how do you save time?

Gotta agree with that!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
My pen cover fits over the needle without touching it. I guess there are different styles of pen.

Hilow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Travelling Enthusiast, congratulations on thinking about the huge amount of money we cost the NHS, and the tax payers (which many of us are, too). I share your experience, changing needles maybe 3 times a month with no bad effect, and I spent 5 months a year in Tropical Asia. Had a gold medal for being a great diabetic for 50 years, that was 3 years ago. So, continue as you are happy to do, and that goes for everyone.

Reactions: 8 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Aaaaa...Good luck folks! Just hope the confused parents of a newly diagnosed type 1 baby,toddler or child doesn't read this thread and think that constantly re-using needles is fine.

As they say on Dragons Den-"I'm out" on this thread.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
A discussion regarding needle re-use does not mean it's being promoted. The NHS guide is to replace needle every time. If people who maybe buy their own wish to use them more than once that's their choice. The NHS also discourages smoking but there are threads here discussing that too, it doesn't mean it's being promoted. Each to their own !

Travelling enthusiast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Travelling Enthusiast, congratulations on thinking about the huge amount of money we cost the NHS, and the tax payers (which many of us are, too). I share your experience, changing needles maybe 3 times a month with no bad effect, and I spent 5 months a year in Tropical Asia. Had a gold medal for being a great diabetic for 50 years, that was 3 years ago. So, continue as you are happy to do, and that goes for everyone.

Completely agree Hilow, 50years that's a long time, congratulations on managing it so well for all that time.

The cost is something we are all responsible for, and I understand new diabetics being worried about it, but like yourself I think it's grand to reuse, I think the longer you live with something the more you understand your body, if a needle ever hurts I replace it, or if my BG levels don't seem quiet right, but if it's working and not hurting, I really can't see the harm.

So many people moan about the NHS, but it's incredible the amount they do with limited resources, in Ireland where I'm from its €50 to see a doctor and we pay full price for prescriptions antibiotics about €50, we are so lucky with the NHS and I'd hate to waste resources.

I spoke to my Dad yesterday who has been type one for 26 years and he said the last time he got a box of needles was 2009, he pulled the box out of the cupboard while he was on the phone to be and read the prescription sticker, so that's 100 needles in 4 years, this made me laugh, as I've been having this conversation online.

As I said before, people should do what they are comfortable with, but it's good to hear other peoples stories too. Live and learn...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My husband was told by his Diabetic nurse that he can use the same needle for a day ( 4 Novarapid injections) but to use a new needle every time for the Lantus, she wouldn't prescribe more needles so he has been using the same needle twice, he's had no problems yet but I always thought you should have a new needle every time to avoid infections and the needle going blunt. She said there was no need and I had been reading too much on the internet! I think it's a way for the NHS to save money.

Just by-pass the nurse and ask his gp to prescribe more needles.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not true on any pen I've ever owned, and I've owned plenty.

I can replace the needle shield in less than half a second without looking. I can do it in the dark while driving a car without taking my eyes off the road (not recommended).

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aaaaa...Good luck folks! Just hope the confused parents of a newly diagnosed type 1 baby,toddler or child doesn't read this thread and think that constantly re-using needles is fine.

As they say on Dragons Den-"I'm out" on this thread.
Paul, how about adducing any kind of actual evidence to back up your opinion on needle re use, before characterising us as potential baby murderers?

And note that we are just reporting our experience and explicitly not advocating that anyone copies us.

Reactions: 4 people