I crave chocolate

Stattovic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horse Racing, loud pop music
I know being a diavetic it is very naughty - but after a meal whether it be a curry, chineese or just beans on toast I feel I need something sweet - ie chocolate. How can I stop tis I know it would be no good for my blood testing. - help please.

K

Kat100

Hello, before I was diabetic I never needed chocolate, now because I can't have it I love green and blacks 70% plus a few squares most evenings..
It took a while to get used to the taste now I would not be without it....Kat

Reactions: 4 people

Stattovic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Kat,
So are you saying something like Green and Black or Bourneville is good, my son often brinks me Hersheys dark when he is in the USA.
Vic

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Bournville chocolate is loaded with sugar, do as Kat says and go for the G & B's or buy Aldi own which is a brand called Moser Roth 85% dark chocolate.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sometimes buy Lindt 90%. I keep it in the fridge and have 2 squares after dinner if I want something chocolatey. :angelic:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kat100

Hi Kat,
So are you saying something like Green and Black or Bourneville is good, my son often brinks me Hersheys dark when he is in the USA.
Vic
Hi, yes I guess I am, I leant from this site , and a course I went on .....
Someone on here has a little chocolate melted over raspberries with a bit of cream ....I do,now as well as a quick treat...
Search 70% chocolate plus ......you may enjoy it ...:)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I tried green and blacks after kats advice and have 2 rows - 6 very small squares or alternatively Tescos Swiss finest 74% 2 squares. Aldi do 70% Equador which is very nice. Again 2 squares. After my evening meal. Don't eat pasta, rice, bread or potatoes. Or sugar with the exception of the choccie. If you make a coffee and nibble it whilst drinking the coffee it kind of melts in your mouth. It takes ages too so you feel satiated afterwards. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried green and blacks after kats advice and have 2 rows - 6 very small squares or alternatively Tescos Swiss finest 74% 2 squares. Aldi do 70% Equador which is very nice. Again 2 squares. After my evening meal. Don't eat pasta, rice, bread or potatoes. Or sugar with the exception of the choccie. If you make a coffee and nibble it whilst drinking the coffee it kind of melts in your mouth. It takes ages too so you feel satiated afterwards. :)

It's nice with tea too.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
It's nice with tea too.
image.jpg

Stattovic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Great advice guys and gals. Will try the Green and black.

H

Hooked

I've no restraint. It's all or nothing with me. I can't limit myself to just a square or two; it just makes the craving for more worse!
I do find if I go "cold turkey" for a couple of weeks the chocolate craving disappears for me. But just a wee bit of it and I'm off wanting to eat more again. I admire those who can limit themselves to a square or two without demolishing a whole bar. :eek:

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:oops:Another nice 70% dark chocolate is the Co op Fairtrade - and they do little (40g) bars - helps resist the temptation of troughing a whole 100g bar - which I have been guilty of in the past.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hot chocolate:
1 mug, standard size, or adjust recipe accordingly
1 heaped teaspoon cocoa powder (I recommend green&blacks cocoa)
1 heaped teaspoon of sugar substitute (I use xylitol)
Dollop douple cream

Boil kettle. Add a splash of hot water to cup with cocoa and sweetener. Stir/mash/beat until smooth. Fill rest of cup with water. Stir. Add cream to taste.

I actually prefer this to the '2 squares of 70% choc after dinner' option, mainly because it is more filling and makes you feel as if you have actually filled up with something deliciously indulgent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hot chocolate:
1 mug, standard size, or adjust recipe accordingly
1 heaped teaspoon cocoa powder (I recommend green&blacks cocoa)
1 heaped teaspoon of sugar substitute (I use xylitol)
Dollop couple cream

Boil kettle. Add a splash of hot water to cup with cocoa and sweetener. Stir/mash/beat until smooth. Fill rest of cup with water. Stir. Add cream to taste.

I actually prefer this to the '2 squares of 70% choc after dinner' option, mainly because it is more filling and makes you feel as if you have actually filled up with something deliciously indulgent.
This is one of my treats - and it is so indulgent. Lol

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I buy Aldi dark chocolate with orange and almond and have a little bar most nights , my bs is fine with it and its delicious. Better than green and black and much cheaper

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I know being a diavetic it is very naughty - but after a meal whether it be a curry, chineese or just beans on toast I feel I need something sweet - ie chocolate. How can I stop tis I know it would be no good for my blood testing. - help please.
This is one of the weird things about diabetes. I am not on medication so clearly not as ill as you. BUT I cant eat all that stuff as no medication to bring my Bg level down.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I would say Green and Blacks because it has the fair trade label and you can be sure it has not been produced by the Ivory Coast's child slave workforce. It's also delicious.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dazzyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with T2 in 2006 and up to 2013 hardly ate any chocolate at all - averaged probably only a couple of bars a year. In 2012 my figures went haywire and I went through all the usual meds until being put on a combination of Levimir, Victoza and Linagliptin. Still my figures were in double figures and it was not until I had a chat with a clinical scientist in USA where a low carb diet was recommended that almost instantly my figures dropped back into single digits - but here's the rub… my sweet tooth has taken over and I've now munched my way through more chocolate in the past 3 months than in the past 20 years!!!!!!
So, low carb good for my BG figures, but choccy not soo good for my figure!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with T2 in 2006 and up to 2013 hardly ate any chocolate at all - averaged probably only a couple of bars a year. In 2012 my figures went haywire and I went through all the usual meds until being put on a combination of Levimir, Victoza and Linagliptin. Still my figures were in double figures and it was not until I had a chat with a clinical scientist in USA where a low carb diet was recommended that almost instantly my figures dropped back into single digits - but here's the rub… my sweet tooth has taken over and I've now munched my way through more chocolate in the past 3 months than in the past 20 years!!!!!!
So, low carb good for my BG figures, but choccy not soo good for my figure!

I'm proud of you. Chocolate is a major food group all by itself, and I always wonder how people think they can maintain a balanced diet without at least a daily portion. Dieticians are so ignorant!

Reactions: 5 people