Standard bolus/ multiwave bolus..

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After MDI for 23 years I'm finding the idea of multi waving rather daunting. Does anyone find this actually works for them? I know the theories and realities of diabetes can differ significantly so would be interested in your experiences!
Personally I find being advised to multi wave between 2-5 hours really feels quite daunting as I'm sure I'm going to get some major post meal highs!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Sorry, never heard of "multi waving" ! Can you briefly tell me what it is ?

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the pump you can give your bolus as one big dose or set it to give you smaller amounts of the total dose over a period of time between 15 minutes to 4-5 hours (I think that's the maximum time).

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It works well for foods that have more fat...for 10g of fat in food I give an hour of multi wave. I only do this with something like an odd fish n chip night or a macaroni cheese etc. Normal day to day living I don't. If I have strawberrys n cream for example I do this on standard bolus, even though it would be double or clotted cream.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Donnelly, my dietician has sent me some leaflets about different food categories and which time frames to opt for. Even having the option of doing anything other than one large dose is going to take some getting used to never mind about putting it into practice.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use it for high fat meals, or meals heavy in protein when I am low carbing. It works reasonably well, though (like most things on a pump) it takes a fair bit of tweaking. At the IP-UK drinks last week I also heard it's useful for really big meals.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As Spiker said it is useful for high fat meals especially things like pizza (which impacts my bg even 12 hours later - a big no no for me). I've also used it when having a drink on an evening as this is generally over a prolonged period of time. You do have to play with the timings a bit though and work out the dosage split for you for each type of food.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

I tend to avoid food like pizza if I can and even with eating low carb meals, I dont eat too much meat etc. There is not enough clear guidance for my liking on using these waves without causing really high bg levels... makes the enjoyment of eating food go out the window lots of trial and error and lots of high and low bg levels which at the end of the day doesnt do any of us any good.....

Reactions: 2 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always multi wave, vary the amount based on what I'm eating but mostly 70% immediate and 30% over next hour, unless the 70% exceeds five units which I make my maximum immediate and spread rest over longer period.

Seems to work really well for me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Like iHs I can't even recall last timeI had a pizza, but would def mwave for it. Chips are rarefor me but are a must for a Mwave... So fish n chips generally for me are about 140g carb but I have to do 30% upfront and the rest over 4 hours. Even then my levels will be higher at 3am than normal.
I try to avoid all takeaways but sometimes after a glass of wine or two at the pub then walking home I join my neighbour with a takeaway...

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone, I think it may be abit of trial and error for me then whether I need to do this with any meals. I feel like the standard bolus works well for me at the moment, probably due to the types of foods I'm eating. I don't eat chips at all as don't like potato and pizza is a rare thing but it's something to consider for the future. The thought of having insulin over 4-5 hours after eating really does scare me half to death

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
The way it was described to me is you have the standard bolus option for "all at once" dose. Then there's a wave that has a small spike then a long release which was suggested for things like chinese meals (which are sweet but also have long acting carbs). Or the long release which would be ideal for eating somewhere like a buffet where you pick and nibble over a longer period of time.

I've not tried any of those yet as I usually test before and couple of hours post-prandial so I just have a standard bolus adjustment of what the meter suggests IF I'm over my target range (between 4 and 8).

I've only been pumping for a couple of weeks though... My biggest issue is buying a new laptop that doesn't have a cd drive so I can't install the 360 software, but that's another drama altogether.