Flu jab - any opinions?

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hallo all,

I'm recently diagnised as type 1, having presented with all the standard symptoms.

I've nothing but praise for all the healthcare professionals who have helped me to get as far as I have.

I'm on a basel/bolus set up with a single dose of Lantus in the evening and Novorapid through the day with meals. I assume that I'm still in the honeymoon period as my levels have been very good, albeit having reduced my dosages from the original stating points.

My question is exactly as stated in the title of the thread... does anybody have any opinions on whether or not to have a flu jab. My surgery have sent me a letter offering one, as they do with all type 1's. Before I retired, I worked off-shore in the oil industry, we were always offered flu jabs, but as a healthy person, I always shied away from any un-needed medication. Now I have diabetes... I've read enough about what illness can do to your blood sugars... so over to you all.

many thanks, in advance for all your replies, Peter.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I get the flu jab every year and have done for some time, several years ago I had flu and felt terrible is if I was going to die, I couldn't lift my head off the pillar or swing my legs over the side of the bed, ever since I make sure I get the flu jab every winter.

I don't know if your aware but you can get the flu jab at the likes of Asda pharmacies for free, they ask you a few questions and get you to sign a form to say you have diabetes then they notify your gp practice that you've had it done, much more convenient than trying to slot in with the flu clinics at the surgery.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hi Peter,
Been Type 1 almost 40 yrs and pumping 14, been having flu jab as long as I can remember and haven't had flu since then, in fact I no longer get any colds snivals or sore throats not sure if it's any connection with the jab but I'd say have it but that's just my opinion.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't have a flu jab and never will. I hardly ever get colds so I don't feel the need to have a flue jab.

Reactions: 2 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The one year since diagnosis that I didn't have the jab I got flu. May be coincidence, but the results were horrible. Hospitalisation with really high BG levels and ketones. Have never missed a jab since.

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Type 1 for over 20 years and never had the flu jab, even as a kid.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I always have my annual flu jab and have also had the pneumococcal jab which is a one off
Every little helps as I don't really need something like flu.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally get a flu jab about September/October time. Have done for the last 15/20 years?
In that time i still get the odd flu symptom but seem to fight it off within a day or so..

A couple years back i skipped one & came down with the worst lurgey ever.!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had the flu jab every year since I was 60 and on offer annually, also the one off pneumonia jab. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone should refuse any jabs on offer. I've never had flu in my life, but there is always a first time. We should never be cavalier with our health. It doesn't pay in the end.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The flu is not a common cold, and it does kill people every year which is why those vulnerable (I.e. most likely to die if they catch it) are offered the vaccine. Unless you are allergic to the ingredients there is no reason not to have the vaccine.

Reactions: 4 people

dollydaydream2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've never had the jab ( been type 1 for 34 years) only had flu once and it was awful as described by Noblehead ⬆️ but that was about 10 years ago. Maybe silly but I object to having another jab !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My GP has told me he thinks it's daft to have flu jabs for what he calls a fit diabetic....his reason... A person will get flu about once every 40 years....and why take a jab consisting of a concoction of stuff for forty years when if you look after yourself even with diabetes and are fit -then you will feel awful for two weeks, but that's better than 40 years go jabs.

Our GP Practice did not hit the flu jab targets this year!!!

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Last time I got a flu jab, I got an infection where they did it, so have never had one since. And I've never had flu since.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have religiously had flu jabs after a brutal bout of flu, as described above. I usually get a bit under the weather for a day two after the jab.

However I now think the terrible flu was due to my poor ketone management during illness. I am much better at this now.

But I still will keep taking the jab. Diabetics, especially T1, have weaker immune defences (in general, obviously some individuals are different). So it still makes sense to me to take the jab. Even if it saves me one day off work, that's worth it.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get mine every year since being diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis - I also had a long history of chronic bronchitis for years prior. Also had the pneumonia injection for the same reason. An ordinary cold always goes to my chest, so I figure it's better to have the flu jab once a year than taking antibiotics for chest infections. So far I've been lucky and not even had a sniffle since starting the jabs - long may it stay that way.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
but that's better than 40 years go jabs
Even if flu jabs prevented only one two week period of illness per 40 years that's still 8.4h saved per year, so unless your GP works reaaaaaly slowly having the jab is still better.

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have always had the flu jab, since diagnosis 11 years ago. I just don't wanna take the risk of getting that ill as flu for a 'normal' person is absolutely awful so I can only imagine what it would do to a diabetic!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have the flu jab. The only exceptions to this have been the year the Swine flu vaccine came out and the year after that. I didn't believe the vaccine had been tested for long enough to be safe and preferred to take my chances with the virus. I thought they might be using up old vaccines the year after, so I missed that one too. If I don't receive a letter inviting me to have a jab I don't bother asking for one.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the Flu jab from first diagnosed, but stopped getting it 7 years later when I was 18 as every time I got it I ended up having really bad colds coughs and chest infections. When I stopped getting it these eased off a lot, so I just decided I didn't want it anymore. Not that I'm saying there is a link or anything like it just my personal experience, I declined the swine flu vaccine because I wasn't convinced that it had been tested enough, and low and behold it's no more effective on swine flu than just the normal flu vaccine. Also having the flu vaccine doesn't stop you getting flu it just reduces your chances of getting it. There are lots of different strains of the flu virus about so it's still possible to end up with one, I've had flu when I had had the vaccine as well. In saying all this I don't want to put you off it, it saves countless lives and hospital admissions every year, so is worth getting especially with people who are older very young or with lots of other complications or health conditions. Personally I'm fit healthy and haven't had flu since I was 16. If I was to develop any complications I might start to get it again, personal choice it's up to you.

Reactions: 3 people

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I do not have the flu jab the 3 years I did have it I felt awful for 3 weeks after exhausted aching sore head etc flu like symptoms but never actually the bed bound flu not for me im afraid will take my chances