cinnamon to reduce blood sugar levels

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i dont know if its true 100pc but i do take it every morning on a greek youghut have done since dec my bloods never go above 5.6 so worth a try and cheers up a plain dish xx

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

I put it in baking and savoury dishes like chickpeas etc ...

Sometimes I put it on porridge made with my almond milk ..

I can't prove anything though....but if I think it helps from what I have read, and I like it , then I will give it a go.....

Reactions: 2 people

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been told taking cinnamon will reduce blood sugar levels has anybody tried this
I know it can also help in weight loss. But you got to be careful with the powder spice cinnamon as it can be toxic if too much is ingested. I sprinkle a bit on my breakfast cereal each morning. I also sometimes sprinkle a bit over my meals but don't overdo it.

APR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All - I think it's worthwhile noting that the powered cinnamon we buy in the supermarkets is apparently Cassia bark - and it's Cassia that has high concentrations of some toxic component (just looked it up - it's called Coumarin). This is probably fine if you're just sprinkling some for flavour. "True" cinnamon comes from Sri Lanka - and it's this cinnamon that's touted as being good for health and which might help control blood sugar. I've ordered some from Sri Lanka via Amazon and am going to give it a go.

Reactions: 3 people

APR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So the Solgar variety is no good?
Well I'm not sure about brands - but I guess anything you can get in a supermarket is likely to be the (cheaper?/Chinese?) cassia - which, according to the warnings from various Health Authorities, isn't the type of "cinnamon" you want to use to help with BG.

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Solgar can only be bought from good health food stores. When they are finished i will buy from Amazon. Thanks for tip.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jimmyq

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yes it does work I have a few friends who take it every morning its helping them so ive just started using it. I use raw cinnamon crush it make the powder and have it on an empty stomach { teaspoon with some honey} will see if its helping as my friends really recommend it