Diabetic Tattoo

AMBrennan

Well, unless they were to reverse the meaning entirely I don't see the problem - for example, you still recognize what "insulin dependent diabetes" means even though the term is now deprecated.

Reactions: 2 people

T1Taz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
: 534195 said:
I just wonder about the "Type 1" part because they keep changing the name of this - juvenile onset, insulin dependent, autoimmune, Type 1, forward and backwards again...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Good point Spiker, I'll leave that out, I didn't think of that, thanks

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But the medics will know exactly what it means; just like we know that the other names for T1 means.
We know what these terms mean. But will a newly trained paramedic or first aider necessarily understand all these terms in say 20 years time? "Insulin dependent" is probably the most self explanatory and the most relevant in a situation where you can't communicate for yourself. "Type 1" and "juvenile" could be just historical curiosities one day.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
We know what these terms mean. But will a newly trained paramedic or first aider necessarily understand all these terms in say 20 years time? "Insulin dependent" is probably the most self explanatory and the most relevant in a situation where you can't communicate for yourself. "Type 1" and "juvenile" could be just historical curiosities one day.
In 20 years time we may not be injecting insulin ! Tough to know what tattoo to have really ! It's a lifetime decision. If I were to have one, it would be simple and the only word would be "diabetic". In an emergency situation, type or treatment is not really that important.

Reactions: 3 people

AMBrennan

If they don't understand what "type 1 diabetes" means than they still see the "diabetes" part, and as such "type 1 diabates" is no worse than just "diabetes" whilst conveying more information if the medic is familiar with the term.

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
I don't usually like tattoos but I think its a great idea and it looks good!

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In 20 years time we may not be injecting insulin ! Tough to know what tattoo to have really ! It's a lifetime decision. If I were to have one, it would be simple and the only word would be "diabetic". In an emergency situation, type or treatment is not really that important.

But a tattoo holds its own story and if us diabetics dont have to inject any more in twenty years time then it will remind us of what we've been through and how strong we are :)

Reactions: 8 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
But a tattoo holds its own story and if us diabetics dont have to inject any more in twenty years time then it will remind us of what we've been through and how strong we are :)

Tattoos's always have and always will be personal. Each to their own eh :)

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yea, very true, I have quite a few scars lol and thats what I say to anyone who questions the story and asks if I'd ever have surgery or whatever it is you can have to remove them lol I see tatts and scars as the same kinda thing lol

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I LOVE ink on anyone, male or female. I have quite a bit myself and fully intend to get more. With the exception of my wrists and my ear (yes my ear, hurt like hell) they are all where they are not visible unless I want them to be (vest top, backless dress etc) Havin tatts is an addiction, I confess to being an addict :D

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still want them to hurry up with the nanoparticle tattoo ink that reacts to BG levels.

Some ink that changes colour when I go hypo or hyper, now that could:
  1. Really help me keep an eye on things when I am too busy to test
  2. Be designed to look AWESOME!
Of course I have been accused of not being all together sane... by several people, but I don't pay attention to them since they aren't in my head! ;)

/A

Reactions: 4 people

Onlyababy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the tattoo is a really good idea, I have just the one tattoo and that is on my wrist of a butterfly, I must admit it hurt a bit at the start of it . Plus it could save your life

T1Taz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still want them to hurry up with the nanoparticle tattoo ink that reacts to BG levels.

Some ink that changes colour when I go hypo or hyper, now that could:
  1. Really help me keep an eye on things when I am too busy to test
  2. Be designed to look AWESOME!
Of course I have been accused of not being all together sane... by several people, but I don't pay attention to them since they aren't in my head! ;)

/A
I love this idea

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually there is a promising project that has developed a BG-sensitive gel that is not far off that.

Reactions: 3 people

sianee7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My tattoo and very proud I love it!!

Attachments

• DSC_0958.jpg
    DSC_0958.jpg
    1,022.3 KB · Views: 324

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If they don't understand what "type 1 diabetes" means than they still see the "diabetes" part, and as such "type 1 diabates" is no worse than just "diabetes" whilst conveying more information if the medic is familiar with the term.
I'm just saying, a tattoo may be part of your body for a very long time. Think carefully. I'm not against them at all and have considered getting a "diabetes" one myself but I'm not sure of the wording or if to use an image. Just think of other medical terms that are rarely used now. If I suffered with TB, I may have had a tattoo saying "consumption" ! Still, on the whole I think they're a good idea and there are some decent ones available.