A

Avocado Sevenfold

Loads of recipes on this post, tempted to bake some chocolate peanut butter brownies :)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tashweenali/healthy-carbs-diabetes

Also Tortilla pizzas!! I really love normal pizza, but it makes my glucose go bonkers, so these are a really good alternative!
A friend recommended making home made pizza using a tortilla wrap as a base, then adding what you would usually have on a pizza. I make a sauce out of tomatoes and puree, add some oregano, then grate some reduced fat cheddar, some reduced fat fresh mozzarella, spinach and whatever else I can find in the fridge. Then just pop it in the oven at about 180-200 until the cheese is all melted. So yummy.

It's less than 500 calories, low carb and really does taste like pizza (my non-diabetic boyfriend will even eat them provided there is meat!)
Pizza toppings are the best bit of the pizza I reckon so a good idea to have a thin crust and pile the toppings high! :hungry:

I am not sure about that link you posted though. It advocates getting 50% of calories from carbs. That works out at 250g of carbs a day for a female (I think). I would be wired to the moon if I ate that now lol

Reactions: 2 people

bgriffith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pizza toppings are the best bit of the pizza I reckon so a good idea to have a thin crust and pile the toppings high! :hungry:

I am not sure about that link you posted though. It advocates getting 50% of calories from carbs. That works out at 250g of carbs a day for a female (I think). I would be wired to the moon if I ate that now lol

Oh really? I do eat about 250... :oops:That's what the app I use for carb counting recommends!

Just had a little look online and diabetes uk also says about half of what you have should be carbs? http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Managing-your-diabetes/Carb-counting/

But I guess it's each to their own, and it does say that it depends on your age, weight and lifestyle too!

To be honest I mainly posted it for the recipes, I like some of the substitutions!

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
CORNED BEEF QUICHE

For those that allow themselves Corned Beef. No measurements, just suggestions.

Blitz 1 small onion and mash with a can of Corned Beef. It helps if the Corned Beef is warmed a little in microwave or the kitchen is warm. Just enough to make it workable. If you feel happy with it then you can add some breadcrumbs to the mix but I do not find it necessary

Line the base of a large or two regular sized flan tins with greaseproof paper

Spread the corned beef mixture onto the base of the flan dish/dishes trying to leave no gaps if possible. You can make a lip come up the side of the flan dish if you like.

You can use any eggy quiche mixture that you like to use but I blend 4 eggs with a splash or cream, then add cheddar cheese, 1 red long pepper, splash of cream and lots of ground black pepper. Decorate with tomatoes if you like. WHATEVER you do, please do not add salt as between the Corned Beef and the cheese it is salty enough.

Cook 180º C until golden brown

Can be eaten hot or cold but I find it better cold when the Corned Beef has solidified a little again.

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mistyweather this sounds wonderful! This could be just what I have been looking for. I hate eggs, but would love to be able to eat them - maybe I could try them again if they are mixed into a dish like this.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Re: Low Carb Recipes.

This is now my weekly sunday treat:

Low carb hot chocolate: in a cup put a good dollop of double or clotted cream and break into it a couple of squares of very dark chocolate - I used 85% cocoa. Sprinkle on some cinnamon and then microwave for 20 seconds. Mix into a paste. Slowly add some milk, whilst stirring until the cup is 3/4 full. Microwave again for a minute or until hot enough to drink.
THEN!
Add some coconut oil to a frying pan and add some nutmeg and cinnamon. Peel, core and chop an apple. Add to the pan and fry until brown. You can also core and half the apple and rub with coconut oil before roasting. Tastes delicious! I have both of these together on a Sunday night. Yummmm!
Nom nom nom you've just saved my life - Never again will I crave apple crumble :D

Chrissie41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still trying to get my head around low carb eating and snacks are a problem. My grandson, who is a vegetarian, suggested this one.

Thinly slice a couple of courgettes and lightly fry, toast some pine nuts and add to the courgettes, top with grated Parmesan cheese. I think I added too many pine nuts and Parmesan so it became supper rather than a snack but it was delicious.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i think they are similar. However I didn't get on so well with the cloud bread recipe. Not sure what I did wrong. The oopsies recipe (www.dietdoctor.com) works well for me. I put caraway on top of the 10 oopsies I make from the recipe - using 3 eggs, and half a box of cream cheese, and sometimes I add ground flax to the mixture. Nice with butter and cinnamon, or with cream and blueberries, or a useful substitute for bread in a hotdog. They are quick and easy to make, and to store in the fridge.

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Avocado Sevenfold, that'll be useful as I have no stone etc!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinly slice a couple of courgettes and lightly fry, toast some pine nuts and add to the courgettes, top with grated Parmesan cheese. I think I added too many pine nuts and Parmesan so it became supper rather than a snack but it was delicious.
Sounds really yummy and consists of some of my favourite foods - I'll add pine nuts to this week's shopping list now... And I'll probably end up like you with a meal rather than a snack! :)

Robbity

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Loving your work guys!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Chrissie41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you liked the courgettes and pine nuts Robbity, I am finding a replacement for puddings a problem too, especially as I like a little bulk at the end of a meal, I tried this tonight.

A couple of tablespoons of milled flax seeds mixed with boiling water, amount of water depends on how thick you like the 'porridge' mix in some ground almonds and single cream, add a few blueberries and a little of your favourite sweetener if necessary. All very low carb and healthy.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

PUDDINGS!

I found a great recipe a few weeks ago and have been trying different versions of it. It is LCHF and suitable for vegetarians. It is obviously not low calorie, but we can't have everything. I used Simply Delish jelly from Amazon as it is very low carb, sugar-free, gelatine-free, cochineal-free and very tasty.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/key-lime-pie---low-carb-version/

1 - key lime pie. Used whole recipe. 8 inch pie. Lime jelly and coconut extract used.

2 - raspberry and chocolate cheesecake. Made half the recipe for 3 x 4 inch dishes. Raspberry jelly and vanilla extract used.

3 - tartless strawberry tarts. Made with half the recipe for 4 x ramekins. No pecan crust. Strawberry jelly and vanilla extract used.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

annieann1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
if you like rhubarb try this.........
Cut rhubarb into bite size pieces , put in saucepan and cover with sugar free lemonade. Gently simmer, it really doesn't take long ( if you leave it for too long tends to go to mush easily), Once soft leave in juices to cool. Once cooled take rhubarb out of juice, and keep juice. Now you have cooked rhubarb to use in fav recipe and the most delicious drink of rhubarb juice. Cooking it this way is the perfect sweetness for me.

I have it with Alpro Simply Plain Soya Yogurt. It has a mild vanilla taste and is creamy enough. Per 100g is 50cal, and 2.1 carbs . I find this doesn't affect my levels ( the simply plain is only one of this brand that is low in sugars)

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strawberry cheesecake. Sugar free strawberry jelly, make up as directed. Small carton of double cream, tub of philadelphia, beat together with half a cup of icing sugar (made from sweetner whizzed in a blender/grinder. Add 1/2 crushed biscuits to the mixture and top the jelly with it. Approx 8 servings (!/8 of a biscuit per serving) Fresh strawberries if desired.........ENJOY!!!

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Moussaka
I made a lovely low carb moussaka last night. This recipe is for 2.
200g lamb mince
1 aubergine
1 onion chopped
3 garlic bulbs chopped (I like garlic a lot!)
3/4 can chopped tomatoes
seasoning - I used salt, pepper and sumak, but mixed herbs are good.
250g Greek yoghurt (mine was homemade stuff)
2 eggs
100g of cheese grated (I mixed feta and cheddar - you can use more depending on taste and whether calorie counting or not)

1. Lightly fry aubergines.
2. Fry together meat, garlic & onions.
3. Add seasoning & toms. Cook until reduced to a gloopy thickness - 15 mins.
4. Beat eggs and yoghurt together with a fork. Add grated cheese.
5. Put layer of aubergine on bottom on heat proof dish, then layer of all the meat, then final layer of aubergine.
6. Top with sauce.
7. Cook in oven for 45 mins at 175C.

I have to say the topping alone, cooked with some chopped bacon in it, would make a fab light supper dish - sort of cheesy fake souffle.

Reactions: 4 people