Tired all the time!

DiabeticinTX

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe it's my life, but I am just tired all the time. On average, I get about 6 hours sleep even though I really need about 8. I am really bad about taking my evening Metformin pills which I think may be causing this. I will be better about taking them now. but GOSH, I am tired of being tired. Any suggestions, besides caffeine which I try to limit? Need more energy! Help.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Do you have an idea of current BG levels as if high, tiredness is a common symptom. I know it sounds odd but I find exercise gives me more energy and I feel less tired. Also, perhaps your diet may need adjusting ? Difficult to advise without more info really. Ultimately, if you feel tired a lot and it worries you, see a doc.

Reactions: 2 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
I completely feel you, been so tired for a long time now, Fed up of it, it really saps any enjoyment of life. Do see your doctor and mention it just to check it's not being caused by anything else, will put your mind at rest. Other than that look after yourself and try have a little walk even if u feel exhausted as it can help. :) hope it eases for you soon.

Reactions: 5 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully as your BG's come down the tiredness will go. Before I was diagnosed I was tired all the time, but just put it down to burning the candle at both ends and generally overdoing things. Afternoon naps were a common occurrance or just dropping on on the sofa in the evenings when I was at home. As my levels have dropped I have more energy and fewer tired spells (although if I'm naughty and have more carbs than my system likes I'm soon in a "carb coma")

DiabeticinTX

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for your comments. Yes, I think exercise is in order - I typically don't. Also, I have put my medicine in an area that will be more convenient and a reminder for me to take it in the evening. Also, I have not checked my blood sugar in a while so I will do that.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
I kept forgetting to take my tabs,then I bought a pill box which is next to my bed...It really helps me...xox

Reactions: 3 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Tiredness can be a sign of high blood sugar. Do check yours and set a time for your tablets. Set yourself up a routine and stick to it. If you have a reasonably modern mobile phone, you can set it up to give you reminders. Mine allows me to set an alarm for the same time every day. I'm certain most of them do.
Hana

LangleyBC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes. Exercise really helps. I have started a 30 minutes a day regime on the treadmill and sometimes another treadmill session late afternoon if my BG is still high. I know when my BG is high with the tiredness and having to sleep most of the day. By high I mean last week my BG was, wait for it....19. Now that is HIGH folks. Don't really know why BG suddenly went out of control. I take Metformin religiously 500mg x 2 a day and keep it on my dining table in pill box. 7 years a diabetic type 2 you would think I would be completely under control by now. But I also realized I was very dehydrated and started drinking water a though my life depended on it...and in fact it did. Morning readings are normally 9 plus, but after breakfast and treadmill session, it can come down to 6.3 or so.
So, yes, exercise, and staying hydrated is very very important. Good wishes Rosemaryx. Don't be downhearted, you can do it !

Reactions: 4 people

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the same! I've been diagnosed for a year and some days are so hard to even move! :( just exhausted! It's as if I have run a marathon or something, when in actual fact I have done nothing!! I'm good with my injections and got fairly good diet control + drink loads of water! God knows why I'm so tired? Hope it gets better for you xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sospan

I used to be the same then I discovered that Metformin depletes the bodies supply of vitamin B12. I started taking this as a supplement and felt so much better.

Take it every day now and have no problems with tiredness or fatigue

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It would be worthwhile asking your gp to test your b12 and explaining your fatigue..and asking whether your vit d levels could be checked too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would also get Vitamin D tested, as well as B12. Deficiencies in either can have a huge impact on energy levels.

LangleyBC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you guys for so much information. I was so tired and exhausted I couldn't get out of my own way. Spent 50% of each day in bed and was fed up with myself. Now my BG is a little lower A1C 7.5 and throughout the day BG is 6 to 7.9. Although I feel a lot better, still not enough energy to do usual housework, gardening etc. Went to doc this week and he ordered blood tests i.e. for muscles, thyroid and extremely dry skin. Also have appointment to see internist in two weeks. Doc ordered an MRI head scan but I don't know what this is for or what it is supposed to show. Any ideas ?

Birdy

When under active thyroid diagnosed I used to stand at bottom of stairs and see Mount Everest. Still not quite right but better with treatment. Good luck!!!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you guys for so much information. I was so tired and exhausted I couldn't get out of my own way. Spent 50% of each day in bed and was fed up with myself. Now my BG is a little lower A1C 7.5 and throughout the day BG is 6 to 7.9. Although I feel a lot better, still not enough energy to do usual housework, gardening etc. Went to doc this week and he ordered blood tests i.e. for muscles, thyroid and extremely dry skin. Also have appointment to see internist in two weeks. Doc ordered an MRI head scan but I don't know what this is for or what it is supposed to show. Any ideas ?
Very dry skin can be one of the symptoms of hypothyroid, so just as well you are having this checked. However, try to ensure you have the full panel, including antibodies, as the TSH test they usually give is not enough to diagnose hypothyroid, despite most GPs using it as their one and only test.

LangleyBC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks Indy51, Will double check when I see Internist on the 21st.

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
i think you have something different than diabetes you should get yourself checked out for sleep apneoa i suffered the same always falling asleep at different times of the day and feeling very tired since getting a cpap machine and using it nightly i find i'm less tired and i dont need to sleep in the day im 69 years old and have controlled type 2 diabetes by insulin 4 times daily

D

Deleted member 83869

I was diagnosed in 2008 with Type 1 and I also am always tired....although I think thats because of my current job! ha!