borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Mine is 3 years on Saturday!

I diagnosed myself with a BG meter I'd bought for myself a couple of years before, but never used.

I'd been feeling pretty ill all weekend, and been suffering with numb toes and recurrent thrush for about 6 months, and my mother in law had said it sounded like diabetes (obviously I didn't tell her about thrush). Wanting to prove her wrong I tested my BG for the first time...

I remember saying to my wife: "Well that's alright, my BG is 23 mmol/l, I don't have diabetes...", thinking that Diabetes was about too little glucose not too much. The penny dropped when she tested hers and scored a 5 mmol/L

And with that I had to go to a business meeting in Holland for a week (bizarrely in a hotel without internet). I spent the whole week in worried conversations to my wife was furiously researching diabetes on the internet.

She was the one who discovered low-carb, and together, we worked out what carbohydrates were. By the end of that week (apart from a small misunderstanding about the carbohydrate content of weetabix) I'd got my BG slowly down from 23 to under 10 mmol/l , and a few days after that down below 7mmol/l. I can still remember the feeling of absolute lucidity as my brain adjusted to non-hyperglycemic blood.

And that was it. I've never really been seriously hyperglycemic since.

It was scary at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight, it's one of the best things that ever happened to me. I think it saved my life.

Reactions: 4 people

XIX

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't even remember the exact date and I was diagnosed less than a month ago! Must have selectively blocked the experience from my memory...

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
type 1 on november 10th 2010

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1, bonfire night 1996 for me! Grand old age of 5.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
31st December 2007 & I "celebrate" by remembering if it wasnt for diabetes i wouldnt be here! Very deep but true x

georgeley63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Bringing back the memories before I was diagnosed back on the 25th may 2006, diabetes although I hate it had made me a stronger person.

Pepsi Max

It's my 10 year Dia-versary today... I'm celebrating with a slice of homemade white chocolate strawberry cheesecake..

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Anna, I know you posted this years ago but thats also my diabetes day :)
Oh its nice to know that I share this with another member :)
Thank you for letting me know .

Must add it totally ruined my new year for me - that year :(