Steroids & diabetes

Catden

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Anyone any thoughts on this please, I've had cold symptoms for the last 4 weeks culminating in Vomitting & starting a real bad headache on Friday 2th April. By Tuesday I started with double vision & a blacked out spot, my scalp was really sore jaw uncomfortable when eatting, I generally felt unwell, was diaognose with Temprol Arteritis & sent to the eye hospital the next day, I have a biopsy on Tuesday.

Right thats the background now the question I am on 60mg of prednisolne a day, my blood glucose has shot up to 18 I am injecting extra bolus insulin & have got it down to 13.5 I am really worried as I had a renal transplant 16yrs ago & I am aware I must keep it down as mu EGFR is 25-7 but steady for years.

Wondering wether to see if I can speak or see a doc on Tuesday, the treatment is due to go on for 2yrs, I have a patch on my eye for the time being as my balance would be bad without it.

Anyone had this or a simular situation please. x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Steroids are known cause of raised blood sugar. This is a problem if you need to be on steroids. I think you need to discuss this with the GP to get the right balance between the two medical condtions

Reactions: 2 people

Catden

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi. Steroids are known cause of raised blood sugar. This is a problem if you need to be on steroids. I think you need to discuss this with the GP to get the right balance between the two medical condtions
Yes I think you are right, Thank You on Tuesday I have a biopsy so hopefully will know for sure.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sorry to hear about your eye problems and hope you have a good outcome.
Steroids and insulin........ It works out to be about 2 units of insulin for 1mg pred. So what you need to do is increase your basal until that is stable then work out your new carb ratios. Obviously with corrections as needed.

Reactions: 4 people

Catden

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Thans for that I have tried increasing then today after porridge for breakfast & an injection of 14 of Novarapid it was 20 at lunch time. Started to worry especially as I am aware this can be very bad for my renal transplant. I have been in controld for so long now that I feel out of my depth. That would work out a very high insulin doe as I am on 60mg steroids, not that I am disputing the fact, just to go from 24 to 120 seems really scary, think I have to have a word with a doctor.
Thank you for your helpful reply. x

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thans for that I have tried increasing then today after porridge for breakfast & an injection of 14 of Novarapid it was 20 at lunch time. Started to worry especially as I am aware this can be very bad for my renal transplant. I have been in controld for so long now that I feel out of my depth. That would work out a very high insulin doe as I am on 60mg steroids, not that I am disputing the fact, just to go from 24 to 120 seems really scary, think I have to have a word with a doctor.
Thank you for your helpful reply. x
Most def talk to your Dr,:)
No1 priority though is to up your basal until you have good numbers in that dept, obviously a big increase in basal would also mean more insulin for carbs as well and your correction factor will change as well.
Make very sure you have plenty of quick acting carbs handy.
Is there any chance you can be given a pump to help you out?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are right to be cautious and I can imagine such a big dose increase is scary. How about this approach - add up all the correction doses you need to take in a day and add this amount to your total daily basal dose. Keep doing this until you are no longer needing correction doses.

If you only do one basal injection a day instead of two, maybe add only 2/3 rds of the daily correction total to the next days total basal dose.

This should bring your basal dose up to the right level fairly quickly without doing it literally overnight.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App