Dealing with uneducated comments.

Lizzy5172

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't give up though cos I thought I could "educate" her not a damned chance....I am still sooo damned annoyed at her but hey ho onwards and upwards. The rest of my family are so brill and talk about cauli mash and cauli rice when I go round for a meal like its the norm...which of course it is for me lol

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I guess I am the lucky one around here as I do not recall any daft questions or comments on my diabetes - only requests for information on what this diabetes is about. And I am more than happy to expand on it when asked. Even my grands of 5 and 8 now have a pretty good idea about why there are things I do not eat - and they feel pretty sorry for me that I cannot indulge in cakes or other treats.

I will not make a big fuss about it when I am a guest but deal with it as unobtrusively as possible (making the best choices and portion control) - don't wish to be a damper on the foods lovingly prepared. - And family and friends will usually always ask me how I am doing with my numbers - even kind of know by now where numbers ought to be ...

annelise

leahkian

How do you do it?

I've been type 1 for around 7 weeks now and I have found that comments come up pretty often. Such as "are you sure you can eat that", "diabetes is simple to control"(coming from non diabetic, "you shouldn't have ate too many sweets when you were growing up", "all diabetics are fat, so why aren't you"?

I don't react, I jut try to explain what I know. It does bother me a bit though. Especially when people think it is something I brought on myself even though I have always been active and fairly healthy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Some people just do no enough about diabetes. Once on a night out I was talking to a girl who asked if she could catch diabetes off me, I told her there was no way you could catch it. I then went to the toilet and when I came back she was gone. People just do not understand that diabetes chooses you not the other way around, bur for all the negative comments all you can do is explain and smile. Good luck

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
For me it's not so much a question of dealing with ignorant people, I see comments of this type as just plain rude.