Insulin dose

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone is different. I met a T1 recently who was on about 15u of long-acting insulin a day and about a max of 15-20u of fast-acting insulin. Compare that to me on 45u of long-acting insulin (and I used to be on 80+ units until recently!). If you have insulin resistance then you will require more insulin to do the same job and this may be the case with you. Have you spoken to your doctor about it?

There are at least 2 other people asking this question on the T1 board right now so have a look at their threads too for more info! :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

Ayman_Matrook

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
TDD of insulin will calculated depends on your weight and resistance to it...

TDD=> weight x 55%= ( )units

The 40-50% of the result will be divided to long acting insulin and rest will be for short acting insulin "pre-meal"

BuBashar

Ruthie86

I'm on humulin m3 an I'm on 50 units a day 28 in morning 22 at night which will b increased even more cos bloods still high in mornings cos my sugars bin so high fr so long I'm jst wondering is my pancreas working at all ...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ruthie. What is your weight like and have you reduced the carbs in your diet? If you are overweight you may be insulin resistant due to that and hence need more insulin. You may want to discuss a different insulin mix with your GP if necessary or even a move to the Basal/Bolus regime which involves two insulins and pens but does give better control overall, but having the right weight is still important

Ruthie86

I'm loosing weight at the min doctor was talking bout puttin me on to another injection one tht surpresses ur appetite :/ but I dunno I only have breakfast lunch an dinner an do have a carbs with every meal cos I was told to but it mite only b 6 baby potatoes or 2 slices of bread :/

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
TDD of insulin will calculated depends on your weight and resistance to it...

TDD=> weight x 55%= ( )units

The 40-50% of the result will be divided to long acting insulin and rest will be for short acting insulin "pre-meal"

BuBashar
These formulas are just guidelines for starting doses. They have very little bearing on actual doses, which are determined by experience and which change during the course of diabetes in each individual.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on 24 Lantus and about 36 Humalog on a typical day, so total of 60. Now I am on a pump I am down to about 45/day total. T1 diagnosed about 19 years ago.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Whoever told you to have carbs with every meal is wrong and is probably poor NHS guidance. Keep the carbs down and perhaps spread them during the day but you certainly don't need them with every meal. I suspect your GP was thinking of adding Victoza which can help those who are overweight. Try to get the weight down by diet and you might not even need that extra drug.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi. Whoever told you to have carbs with every meal is wrong and is probably poor NHS guidance. Keep the carbs down and perhaps spread them during the day but you certainly don't need them with every meal. I suspect your GP was thinking of adding Victoza which can help those who are overweight. Try to get the weight down by diet and you might not even need that extra drug.
Ruthie is on mixed insulin so to a certain extent has to feed her insulin as has no way of just altering the bolus amount.