How much weight have YOU lost?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I have my "diabetes education" at the hospital on 2nd of June so am looking forward to the lecture about eating pasta, rice, potatoes and bread. I'm sure they'll dispute my diet choices, despite the weight loss, the halved bs and the lowered cholestrol. Even when I explain that they send my bs into double figures.

Scandichic

Do you mean you have or haven't been eating pasta etc?

Just interested because when I started to gain weight after an accident 20 years ago, I was advised to base my diet on such carbs. Massive weight gain and diabetes followed. The only way I have solved that after losing much weight on Newcastle diet, which seems to have reversed diabetes, is to keep carbs to the absolute minimum. If I don't I start to gain weight and increase blood glucose levels. I don't advocate ignoring medical advice, but I think we sometimes have more knowledge about how our bodies respond to food and drugs and should be taken seriously. I guess you are confident enough to assert your opinion at the diabetes education session though, and from what you have posted it looks as though you will have achieved your goal weight and diabetes control by then.

Good luck
Pipp

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Scandichic

Do you mean you have or haven't been eating pasta etc?

Just interested because when I started to gain weight after an accident 20 years ago, I was advised to base my diet on such carbs. Massive weight gain and diabetes followed. The only way I have solved that after losing much weight on Newcastle diet, which seems to have reversed diabetes, is to keep carbs to the absolute minimum. If I don't I start to gain weight and increase blood glucose levels. I don't advocate ignoring medical advice, but I think we sometimes have more knowledge about how our bodies respond to food and drugs and should be taken seriously. I guess you are confident enough to assert your opinion at the diabetes education session though, and from what you have posted it looks as though you will have achieved your goal weight and diabetes control by then.

Good luck
Pipp
Sorry, I should have clarified the they. Pasta, bread, rice and potatoes. They spike me. I stopped eating them the day I was diagnosed. Ate them recently to see what would happen. I have had lecture after lecture about the lack of carbs in my diet. Despite the evidence (bs now between 5.2 - 6.8 most of time) , 2 stone weight loss - I'm doing it all wrong! I need to eat the NHS healthy plate model. Rofl!

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, I should have clarified the they. Pasta, bread, rice and potatoes. They spike me. I stopped eating them the day I was diagnosed. Ate them recently to see what would happen. I have had lecture after lecture about the lack of carbs in my diet. Despite the evidence (bs now between 5.2 - 6.8 most of time) , 2 stone weight loss - I'm doing it all wrong! I need to eat the NHS healthy plate model. Rofl!

Scandichic

Were we separated at birth?

I had the same problem, not just with carbs, but with medical professionals telling me what to do. I find that the free 'eatwell plate' helps not with diet, but with exercise. It makes a brilliant frisbee!

I'm guessing you are going to 'take ownership' of your health and carry on as you have been - successfully. You get enough carbs in vegetables anyway, so don't be bullied into the standardised NHS way.

I may be a bit biased though, as the good old NHS wanted to send me down the bariatric surgery route. Not knocking that, if it suits as each individual needs to find what works for them. I was told I would not be able to lose the weight or diabetes any other way. The medics were a bit peeved when I proved them wrong.

Don't just question authority, question everything.

Pipp

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Scandichic

I had the same problem, not just with carbs, but with medical professionals telling me what to do. I find that the free 'eatwell plate' helps not with diet, but with exercise. It makes a brilliant frisbee!

I'm guessing you are going to 'take ownership' of your health and carry on as you have been - successfully. You get enough carbs in vegetables anyway, so don't be bullied into the standardised NHS way.

I may be a bit biased though, as the good old NHS wanted to send me down the bariatric surgery route. Not knocking that, if it suits as each individual needs to find what works for them. I was told I would not be able to lose the weight or diabetes any other way. The medics were a bit peeved when I proved them wrong.

Pipp
Drives you nuts doesn't it?! I have finally found 1 doc at my practice who is supportive but the rest of them keep twittering on about more carbs! Even the consultant. Ont get it. Bs too high. Given meds to lower bs. Told to eat carbs which raise bs! Fat doesn't raise bs but you mustn't use it as an alternative to carbs because it's the wrong source of energy. No further explanation. Guess I'll just have to carry on swimming against the tide and avoiding carbs except for green veggies. Lol!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I hit my 11 stone weight loss! I need to update my sig but I am a bit worse for wear on prosceco (sp?) so will do it when I have a clearer head!

Reactions: 10 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today I hit my 11 stone weight loss! I need to update my sig but I am a bit worse for wear on prosceco (sp?) so will do it when I have a clearer head!
How fabulous is that! Awesome! Big hug!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't know if it's because I'm type 1 diabetic or is there not much fat to lose on me. But I eat really low carb the only carb I eat are probably nuts. I don't eat bread rice pasta or anything close to that and I except code almost everyday. But I don't think I lost any weight :( guys any suggestions or ideas??? Pls help

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

You must still be having too much food entering your mouth to that which comes out of your bottom....

Low carb... You still have to balance intake to exercise and living... Sorry..

claymic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi can I join this thread. I am another one who has loads of weight to lose - about 5 stones. I am trying to get some control back of my bs after years of binging. This week I started exercising and controlling my carbS and am doing moderately well. It hard when you are combating a food disorder as well. But your posts give me courage and I know I need all the support I can get :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi can I join this thread. I am another one who has loads of weight to lose - about 5 stones. I am trying to get some control back of my bs after years of binging. This week I started exercising and controlling my carbS and am doing moderately well. It hard when you are combating a food disorder as well. But your posts give me courage and I know I need all the support I can get :)

Try www.dietdoctor.com. It talks about low carb high fat. The high fat is probably more moderate than high in my opinion and I've lost 2 stone in 3 months.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You must still be having too much food entering your mouth to that which comes out of your bottom....

Low carb... You still have to balance intake to exercise and living... Sorry..

AngelaY

Nuts are very high calorie. Also T1 can be more complicated than T2 as T2 is often related to being overweight.

Maybe reduce the amount of nuts you eat and substitute some small amounts of carbs such as brown rice and pasta?

With T1 it is important to follow medical advice. Hope you can get some support.

Pipp

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Scandichic

Pipp

No. Just fed a diet fit for manual labourers. I worked in farming and building trades for years. Then went to college and put on the weight because I carried on eating as though I was still hefting bushels of veg and lengths of lead! I've been a fat, under exercised teacher for over 20 years hence diabetes. Funny to hear headteachers call the current education outdated - they are based on an agricultural calendar. I think our national diet is too! Yesterday at the local busy wildlife park I noticed the majority of snacks and picnics were carb, fat and sugar heavy. Hardly a veg fruit or salad in sight.

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No. Just fed a diet fit for manual labourers. I worked in farming and building trades for years. Then went to college and put on the weight because I carried on eating as though I was still hefting bushels of veg and lengths of lead! I've been a fat, under exercised teacher for over 20 years hence diabetes. Funny to hear headteachers call the current education outdated - they are based on an agricultural calendar. I think our national diet is too! Yesterday at the local busy wildlife park I noticed the majority of snacks and picnics were carb, fat and sugar heavy. Hardly a veg fruit or salad in sight.

Indeed!

How outdated is the advice to have a third of your diet as carbs? Ok, so they are the supposedly healthy carbs wholewheat pasta, bread, brown rice etc. and this has been revised from the advice I had 20 years ago of half my plate being filled with the healthy carbs, but still the science doesn't seem to fit. Carbs spike my blood sugars and make me gain weight. Hardly surprising that with an emphasis on 'academic' achievement over sport, and such diet advice from health professionals that we have an obesity and diabetes crisis going on.
My dear departed mother was always astounded that young people went to the gym. Gyms were not necessary in her youth. Diet mainly veg and porridge, housework and manual labour kept folk lean and healthy.

Pipp

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Indeed!

How outdated is the advice to have a third of your diet as carbs? Ok, so they are the supposedly healthy carbs wholewheat pasta, bread, brown rice etc. and this has been revised from the advice I had 20 years ago of half my plate being filled with the healthy carbs, but still the science doesn't seem to fit. Carbs spike my blood sugars and make me gain weight. Hardly surprising that with an emphasis on 'academic' achievement over sport, and such diet advice from health professionals that we have an obesity and diabetes crisis going on.
My dear departed mother was always astounded that young people went to the gym. Gyms were not necessary in her youth. Diet mainly veg and porridge, housework and manual labour kept folk lean and healthy.

Pipp
Funnily enough my husband and I have had the same discussion. Housework was more physical (no washing machines like now- my mum remembers mangles and blue dolly) , no microwave meals and food cooked from scratch.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funnily enough my husband and I have had the same discussion. Housework was more physical (no washing machines like now- my mum remembers mangles and blue dolly) , no microwave meals and food cooked from scratch.

Add to that, no cars, telephones, central heating, TV remote control. Haha, my kids can't believe you had to get up off your backside to turn TV on and off or change channel, or adjust volume. I am not that old, but I remember walking everywhere in my youth, and snacks were unheard of. We got breakfast, dinner and tea. School lunch times were an hour and a half, most of that time we spent playing energetic running games.

Er, happy days I think. I certainly don't remember any fat people around. Maybe I should get rid of the TV remote, car and washing machine.

Pipp

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Add to that, no cars, telephones, central heating, TV remote control. Haha, my kids can't believe you had to get up off your backside to turn TV on and off or change channel, or adjust volume. I am not that old, but I remember walking everywhere in my youth, and snacks were unheard of. We got breakfast, dinner and tea. School lunch times were an hour and a half, most of that time we spent playing energetic running games.

Er, happy days I think. I certainly don't remember any fat people around. Maybe I should get rid of the TV remote, car and washing machine.

Pipp
But not the ipad - lol!

Reactions: 3 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I could do with some help / advice, please....

I switched to low carb, medium fat a few weeks ago. Brought my blood sugars down nicely (average of 5.2 now), and lost about half a stone. However, for the last month my weight has more or less stayed the same, still hovering at the BMI of 43.

I seem to be stuck now. I don't really snack between meals much now and obviously don't eat chocolate or cake anymore so I really expected the weight to go down slowly but surely.

Any tips? I'd hate to start weighing my food or counting calories (again). I would hate to feel deprived, but I believe some of you have managed to lose weight without having to resort to these desperate measures.

I'll be going away this morning for a couple of days, back on Saturday night.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
I've been doing low carb low fat for 4 weeks now.
I seem to be settling into a pattern of
1/2 slice bread at breakfast.
Protein and a mixed salad.

For lunch, protein like beans or dairy, fish or meat, lots of salad, veggies and piece of fruit or yogurt
Supper is a small amount of carb 1 small boiled spud or half slice of bread, protein, loads of veggies, mixed salad.
I snack on nuts, a few raisins, apples and the occasional teaspoon of peanut butter before bed to avoid morning liver dump which seems to be working.
I love veggies and salad so it's easy to be low fat. I'm eating more dairy and protein and losing a steady 2 lbs a week. My advice is to eat lots of veggies, salad and easy on the fruit.