FAO anyone on intermediate insulin

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Looking at switching (If I'm allowed) Currently on Lantus and take A LOT of it , I tried Insuman Basal , but I've been told there are others.

Would love to know of any stories people have with intermediate insulin regimes?

TIA :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looking at switching (If I'm allowed) Currently on Lantus and take A LOT of it , I tried Insuman Basal , but I've been told there are others.

Would love to know of any stories people have with intermediate insulin regimes?

You could try twice daily Lantus (split your dose), that worked for me.
Or you could try degludec, the new ultra flat profile long acting insulin.

Or for an intermediate try Levemir twice daily I guess.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

There's animal insulin's to try, pork or beef. They are known as Isophane insulin. I used the beef Isophane for 42 years with no problem at all. I use beef insulin in my pump now (Neutral) The only thing you do need to remember with it is that it has a few peaks hence you would need a mid morning snack plus an afternoon snack, unless you can tweak your bolus well enough not to need the snack.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely worth trying to switch then. But intermediate insulins aren't the only alternative to Lantus.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use twice-daily injections of Levemir, but it doesn't work as well for me as my old twice-daily injections of insuman basal did. insuman has a definite peak around 6 hours and, if well-timed, this can coincide with a low-carb meal or the DP and give a really good level BG. Unfortunately, it used to clash mid morning with my breakfast Apidra - hence the switch to Levemir. I definitely preferred Insuman!

Smidge