Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who say things like "You're Diabetic? Did you eat too much sugar?"
My personal experiences include:
" Did you eat too much sugar?"
"You can't have sugar?"
"Can you eat that?" (Although I realise this is more of a concern than a stupid comment.)
"I could never be a diabetic. I'm scared of needles/blood."

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I forgot to add "Is that the good type or the bad type?"

Reggie64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they know a lot about Diabetes and actually don't.
"If you go low I'll shove a Mars Bar in your mouth"

"Do I need to inject your insulin if you go low"

"You can't eat cake as you will go all loopy on me"

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm !!!!!!

Reggie64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they know a lot about Diabetes and actually don't.
Having read through these posts, the main thread appears to be non Diabetics offering to inject us !!!

Help ......

diabeticdancer

The worst one I ever had was when my science teacher had us read through an outdated text book about diabetes, complete with a graph of diabetes 'sufferers' and their ages. He said to the class 'why do you think there aren't any older patients with diabetes?' and after a few moments of silence exclaimed 'because they're all dead' - still have no idea if he knew I was Type 1, but I went home and cried to my mum, I was only 15 at the time. Luckily I now know this not to be true but I still think about it to this day and wonder if he knew what he said caused so much upset.
That's so awful. Sorry to hear your had to hear that at such a young age.

keri

My pe teacher said to me, if you could control it much better so it doesn't disrupt my lessons that would be great! Pftt all because I had one hypo in a pe lesson! I turned around and clicked my fingers then said ' nope sorry it hasn't magically disappeared yet' and walked off!!

Reactions: 4 people

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who say things like "You're Diabetic? Did you eat too much sugar?"
Thanks for making this thread so popular, guys. I didn't expect it to do this well.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My pe teacher said to me, if you could control it much better so it doesn't disrupt my lessons that would be great! Pftt all because I had one hypo in a pe lesson! I turned around and clicked my fingers then said ' nope sorry it hasn't magically disappeared yet' and walked off!!

Back in 1980/81..? Just before Christmas.. My old English teacher was walking round the class passing round a box of sweets..
As she got to me I was ready to politely decline.
However events turned.. She waved the box under my nose then snatched them away while barracking at the top of her voice " And IF YOU think I am going to give SWEETS to a DIABETIC..!!??"

I don't take it personal... She was a militant feminist who resented teaching in a boys school.. She was prone to coming out with other inappropriate sexual derogatory out bursts to the whole class.. & on one occasion stormed out leaving the deputy head to take over after ten minutes of a teacherless class... He just sat on her desk, shrugged, sighed & said " sometimes women are like that.."

Nothing wrong with feminism I must add... I married one! :cool:

keri

Back in 1980/81..? Just before Christmas.. My old English teacher was walking round the class passing round a box of sweets..
As she got to me I was ready to politely decline.
However events turned.. She waved the box under my nose then snatched them away while barracking at the top of her voice " And IF YOU think I am going to give SWEETS to a DIABETIC..!!??"

I don't take it personal... She was a militant feminist who resented teaching in a boys school.. She was prone to coming out with other inappropriate sexual derogatory out bursts to the whole class.. & on one occasion stormed out leaving the deputy head to take over after ten minutes of a teacherless class... He just sat on her desk, shrugged, sighed & said " sometimes women are like that.."

Nothing wrong with feminism I must add... I married one! :cool:
Wow that's horrible! Some teachers I have understand it perfectly! But my pe teacher doesn't you think they would really considering it can be affected by sport! Sorry you had that experience it doesn't really make you feel that great!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cant be diabetic cause I am too thin ! lots of people say so Alternatively I only take pills and dont inject so thats ok
CAROL

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that's horrible! Some teachers I have understand it perfectly! But my pe teacher doesn't you think they would really considering it can be affected by sport! Sorry you had that experience it doesn't really make you feel that great!

PE teachers..? Lol I never liked the idea of someone stood on the sidelines shouting at me, while I did all the "donkey"..

There was one that I found out about years later that had made a derogatory comment to my mum on a parents evening when I was about 10 regarding my lack of competitive attitude... She replied that it would be a boring world if we all grew up to be PE teachers.. :banghead:

keri

PE teachers..? Lol I never liked the idea of someone stood on the sidelines shouting at me, while I did all the "donkey"..

There was one that I found out about years later that had made a derogatory comment to my mum on a parents evening when I was about 10 regarding my lack of competitive attitude... She replied that it would be a boring world if we all grew up to be PE teachers.. :banghead:
God I think they are the worst ones to understand it, he said you have taken your tablet thing now you can run, I said do you really want a student to pass out in your lesson that shut him up, he has said to my mum before that 'it' is disrupting his lessons! Some people have no clue!

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
God I think they are the worst ones to understand it, he said you have taken your tablet thing now you can run, I said do you really want a student to pass out in your lesson that shut him up, he has said to my mum before that 'it' is disrupting his lessons! Some people have no clue!

An ambulance tearing up the pitch. That's a real disruption.. ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha I would love to see his reaction though

I wouldn't worry to much about it though.. A couple of years back I bumped into a couple of guys I was at school with.
We spoke of PE/games & The one thing that stuck in their mind during conversation was "you used to wear this really cool football strip. We were always a bit envious"
"Blimey" I replied "thanks.. So, you didn't notice I was a **** at football then?" :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or punch the screen... either way it' shocking (The presenter's behavior obviously)

It's a sketch show.. Black comedy satire called "Brass Eye".. The whole premiss of the show is to highlight the stupidity of media misinformation..
Chris Morris is a great actor though..

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's a sketch show.. Black comedy satire called "Brass Eye".. The whole premiss of the show is to highlight the stupidity of media misinformation..
Chris Morris is a great actor though..

Oops, shows my ignorance... the only thing I can think of when I hear the word satire is Stewart Lee
Worth a watch if you haven't seen it ..