Can Glucose intolerance be mistaken for type 1

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I'm just wondering is it possible for someone originally diagnosed Type 1 to be mistaken for being glucose intolerant where it can be controlled by diet and lifestyle?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very much doubt it but I'm not all that well read on glucose intolerance. Just had a very quick look and no not possible - t1 will kill you very quickly. Glucose intolerance won't - it will just give diabetes type symptoms.

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

AMBrennan

Yes - beta cell loss is gradual, and exercise may help make what little insulin is left last longer... but eventually you'll hit a wall and require insulin. I'm pretty sure I've read a few threads by T1s who were initially misdiagnosed.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like it is more likely for a glucose intolerant person to be misdiagnosed as T1, than the other way around? Because the misdiagnosed glucose intolerant person might get hypos from insulin, but the misdiagnosed T1 will deteriorate rapidly without insulin

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Although... if I came off insulin now I would probably be dead in a few weeks, but at the point of diagnosis with T1 (LADA I guess), based on duration of symptoms, I had been undiagnosed for probably 1-2 years. So my point is that T1, particularly LADA, can be a slowly progressive disease around the time of diagnosis.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure I'm really clear about what glucose intolerance really means? Surely it's just diabetes/pre-diabetes appearing in a particular form at a particular stage of development? Isn't it just 'diabetes'? Yes, it may often be the beginning of LADA

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure I'm really clear about what glucose intolerance really means? Surely it's just diabetes/pre-diabetes appearing in a particular form at a particular stage of development? Isn't it just 'diabetes'? Yes, it may often be the beginning of LADA
I just looked it up on this site and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me but maybe the wine with the lunch was a bit strong.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/glucose-intolerance.html

Reactions: 4 people

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
You can manage it with your diet and lifestyle and no insulin.
Blood sugar will rise to 11ish after meals and the come back down without insulin.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just looked it up on this site and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me but maybe the wine with the lunch was a bit strong.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/glucose-intolerance.html
Looking at the link it sounds like early or 'slight' T2 or possibly early LADA. Why on earth do we need this category as well as the others within diabetes and how does it differ from that other strange term 'pre-diabetes'. Sometimes I have a 'pre-cold' in the form of a sore throat....

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
I'm just wondering is it possible for someone originally diagnosed Type 1 to be mistaken for being glucose intolerant where it can be controlled by diet and lifestyle?

i was diagnosed as being ttpe 1and put on insulin straight away with no medical no history of diabeties in my family iam 8 stone always eaten a healthy diet i nearly killed myself i was sent away from the clinic with no knowlege only to take 16 units of insulin twice a day after 2 months of having to eat more food than i have ever done in me life in order not to have a hypo the first one was bad enough/ ireduced the insulin my self over the course of a week and guess what my blood sugars stayed normal i went back to the clinic and said they had made a mistake and they held there hands up and agreed i was fine for five years they said i was glucose intolerant two years ago it came back with a vengence i am now on 2 types of insulin but they still cant tell me if i am type 1 or type 2 good luck sue from bolton

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
i was diagnosed as being ttpe 1and put on insulin straight away with no medical no history of diabeties in my family iam 8 stone always eaten a healthy diet

None of these factors would matter if you were a type 1, it has nothing to do with food or weight.

To the op, is it potentially honeymoon period? How long since diagnosis? x

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
None of these factors would matter if you were a type 1, it has nothing to do with food or weight.

To the op, is it potentially honeymoon period? How long since diagnosis? x
hi mooshk i was diagnosed 2005

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
i was diagnosed as being ttpe 1and put on insulin straight away with no medical no history of diabeties in my family iam 8 stone always eaten a healthy diet i nearly killed myself i was sent away from the clinic with no knowlege only to take 16 units of insulin twice a day after 2 months of having to eat more food than i have ever done in me life in order not to have a hypo the first one was bad enough/ ireduced the insulin my self over the course of a week and guess what my blood sugars stayed normal i went back to the clinic and said they had made a mistake and they held there hands up and agreed i was fine for five years they said i was glucose intolerant two years ago it came back with a vengence i am now on 2 types of insulin but they still cant tell me if i am type 1 or type 2 good luck sue from bolton
If you are currently normal weight I would expect you to be T1. Your weight at diagnosis and good diet would also imply T1 (or Late onset T1 - LADA to be precise)

Reactions: 2 people

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hi sue so did you take no insulin for 5 years after diagnosis of type 1?

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
Hi sue so did you take no insulin for 5 years after diagnosis of type 1?

sorry just logged on no noinsulin nothing and then i came home from work one evening and just felt extremley tired checked my bloods and they wer 27 went up to hospital and they gave me intravenous insulin within 15 mins my bloods had come down to normal so was taken off and was sent home with metformin in 2011 and it has progessed fom there some days it still goes up to 27 and some days as low as 4 so unpridictable and feel rubbish most of the time and so scared of the hypos iam on 16 units of lantus in the evening and between 3 and 5 units of fast acting but findd that if i have no carbs my blood sugars come back down and dont take insulin i have to have a monitor fitted in june for 4 days to see whats happening

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for that, I really don't understand my daughters diagnosis. Seven weeks along with no insulin her sugars range in a day at the moment from 4.7 to 10.3
I have posted about the honeymoon period without insulin but as of yet I have heard of no similar honeymoon periods. It's dreadful every day waiting to see if she will need insulin or not. Your story after diagnosis is about the closest so far.

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
Thanks for that, I really don't understand my daughters diagnosis. Seven weeks along with no insulin her sugars range in a day at the moment from 4.7 to 10.3
I have posted about the honeymoon period without insulin but as of yet I have heard of no similar honeymoon periods. It's dreadful every day waiting to see if she will need insulin or not. Your story after diagnosis is about the closest so far.

i know the feeling when you are an adult somehow u cope with whatever life throws at you but when its your children it must be heartbreaking they told me when i had glucose intolerance just to monitor and thats all u can do for now fingers and toes crossed you can manage it through diet and exersise wishing you the very best off luck and your daughter try not to stress to much as children adapt to most situations i know this is proberbly the hardest thing to come to terms with but hopefully it wont become full blown for a long time.

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
If you are currently normal weight I would expect you to be T1. Your weight at diagnosis and good diet would also imply T1 (or Late onset T1 - LADA to be precise)
hiya diabell i was diagnosed in 2005 and it wasnot until 2011 i was put on metformin and in 2013 was put onto insulin they say it does not matter wether i am type1 or type 2 now that i am on insulin its so frustrating though because when people ask me i have to say i dont know and to be honest to be put back on insulin after8 years that was a long honey moon period i think i am type 2