whey protien

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
hello does anyone use this in there baking etc ivebeen reading on it and it seems to be low in carbs and suger and seems to reduce the flour intake to use witch is very expensive i have bought the strawberry one anyone do anything besides the shakes ? :)

AMBrennan

Dunno, I've mostly heard about people using things like almond flour in their baking but I guess whey may be cheaper (being a waste product of the dairy industry), but buying flavoured mixes may limit your flexibility.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It use to be a waste product, now it's worth more than the cheese per Kg.
I don't use it and there really is no need to get any protein from whey

15-recipes-for-low-carb-gluten-free-breads
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/15-recipes-for-low-carb-gluten-free-breads.56353/

flour-comparison-chart-31.png

Reactions: 2 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, whey protein works out cheaper per gram protein than most foods, and in particular the cheapest almond flour I found I £16/kg vs £12/g for whey.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I don't use it and there really is no need to get any protein from whey

Sorry, I don't understand the second half of that sentences. Do you mean no need for anyone or yourself?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMO, no need for anyone with normal needs and diet and according to sports org, there is no need for Elite male endurance athletes either
http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/basics/protein_-_how_much

Are protein supplements useful?
Generally, athletes can obtain all the protein they require from a good mixed diet. Occasionally, an athlete may require a supplement when a practical way to consume sufficient food cannot be found. Many protein supplements are very expensive due primarily to the amount of marketing that accompanies products and the processing required to extract the protein from cow’s milk. They tend to provide very large amounts of protein and little other nutrients. There is no need for the amount of protein provided by many supplements and there is certainly no justification for the extra cost. The most suitable supplement is one that provides both protein and carbohydrate. Good alternatives to protein supplements include homemade fruit smoothies, liquid meal supplements such as PowerBar Protein Plus powder and 20 g skim milk powder added to regular milk.

Can athletes have too much protein?
Daily protein intakes under 2 g/kg BM in healthy people are unlikely to cause side effects. Less is known about the long-term side effects of protein intakes above 2 g/kg BM. High protein intakes can increase the amount of calcium excreted in the urine. This may cause problems with athletes at risk of weakened bones - for example, female athletes with low energy intakes who are not menstruating. High protein intakes are also known to accelerate the progression of pre-existing kidney disease.
From a nutritional point of view, excessive intakes of protein tend to be expensive especially if protein supplements are used. High protein intakes based on the consumption of large amounts of animal foods (e.g. meat and dairy foods) can result in a greater fat intake. High protein intakes may increase fluid requirements. However, the main concern is that excessive focus on high protein foods may displace other valuable foods (e.g. fruit and vegetables) or other important nutrients such as carbohydrate and fibre from the diet.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks Jack. Can I pick you brains some more please? Do you know if we should be aiming for the RDA of protein or keeping it lower to protect our kidneys?

Sorry for the hijack, Cath x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not my brains, Dr google and I can't find anything to support more protein than your base requirement of recreational endurance athletes 0.8-1.0g per Kg of 'lean BM' or recommended weight @0.7-8g per Kg is close enough.
http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/lean-body-mass

As you know, if you have crook kidneys, high protein is like pouring petrol on a fire and is supported by the link "High protein intakes are also known to accelerate the progression of pre-existing kidney disease."

Now Dr will tell you your kidneys are 'good', even when they have reduced function, early CKD. So you need a copy of your blood test.
ref: http://www.kidney.org.au/kidneydisease/tabid/578/default.aspx

Given diabetics are subject to chronic kidney disease, I wouldn't play Russian roulette and play what I call safe.
low carb and lots of low carb veg, normal protein = nn/x calories and make up the rest of the calories with a healthy assortment of fat,

Reactions: 4 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
thanku all / i thought i would give it a whirl mostly for the baking side as thats my thing and jack i bought the flax seed from holland and barrets made a lovley loaf someone posted here was lovley so thanku for the advice and thanku everyone to . xx

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dunno, I've mostly heard about people using things like almond flour in their baking but I guess whey may be cheaper (being a waste product of the dairy industry), but buying flavoured mixes may limit your flexibility.
yes i use almond flour and coconut but saw alot mostly usa in atkins diet they use instead of flour , its so pricey gone are the days nipping to store for 19p flour :( lol x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes i use almond flour and coconut but saw alot mostly usa in atkins diet they use instead of flour , its so pricey gone are the days nipping to store for 19p flour :( lol x
don't buy off the net
almond flour = also called almond meal, finely ground/ food processor almonds
coconut flour = desiccated coconut also put through the food processor if you want to, I use it as is
as you said, asian/indian for the chic pea and soy flour, also good for cheap virgin coconut oil

Last edited by a moderator: