Marks on my fingers!

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! After 14 years of blood testing obviously it has left them little marks on the sides of my fingers. I was wondering if anyone knew about a method of making them better? Like a cream or something? I know they won't go because obviously I keep blood testing! But just something to help :) I have tried to attach a photo too! Thank you :)

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1399302642.442800.jpg

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

david6026

Mine are like that aswell but the doc told me it's just part of being a diabetic and not really a lot that can be done other than swapping about fingers when testing lol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do it on the sides of fingers, you dont have to get sore pads... I been doing 30 years n go through some randomised hardening and peicking marks if I don't vaseline them gently every night, but rotating is just as important for fingers.. Peesonally I have never done pads, just the sides...

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed 20+ years ago I was told that you shouldn't really use the main pad of the fingertip as you risk losing sensitivity. Like donnellysdogs said, it's better to use the side of your fingertip and gently 'milk' the drop of blood out (rather than squeezing hard). I've spent the last 20 years testing like that and my fingertips are lovely and soft. I occasionally get a little bruise but nothing more.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Perhaps you are stabbing your fingers too hard, I also use the sides of my fingers and have never had sore or bruised fingers.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Just a thought.. You could try a reputable "scar cream"..?
Lol please don't take this the wrong way, but there seem to be "self harmers" self help sites that cover this ground....?!
Tattoo sites too!

I find finger sides work better.. Not just with the healing, but I'm pretty "hands on" with my work too..

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great :) thank you everyone I know from the picture it looks like the main part of my finger but it is actually the side!
I have an appointment on Monday so I'm going to ask my doctor about the things everyone has suggested :) thanks again

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
from the picture it's the tip pad and you are jabbing the front of it. you need to jab the side of it, or you will damage the nerve endings there and lose the sense of touch/sharp, have all sorts of problems putting your fingers where they shouldn't be
see here
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/19774432.php