NEW TO TRAVELLING WITH ACCU CHEK PUMP

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone.

A long time since I have been on here and also like the new layout.

James has now been transferred to the Adult side of the Diabetic Clinic and we had a meeting with the Paediatric Consultant and Adult Consultant and 6 other people. Introducing us to them and vice versa. I felt so out of my comfort zone having been with the Paediatric team for 14 1/2 years.

As we will be going with James to Lanzarote in July, from what I can gather from other posts it seem it is ok to keep his pump on going through security. I did ask the DSN this question but not quite sure what she meant when she mentioned Bluetooth.

She did say that he did not have to take his pump off going through security but needs to switch the Bluetooth off. Does she mean just before take off like you would switch mobiles, ipads etc off, then whilst you are up in the air and you can release your seat belts, you can put it back on.. We are going back to see her once more on 2nd July to also pick up a letter regarding his pump, but would also like to know from others who have flown with their pump.

I must admit I am a bit nervous about going abroad this time, as we have been so used to MDI's in the past and also since using the pump, I have forgotten the MDI's procedure and know we have to take all the bits to do with MDI's should the pump fail. James seems confident so that's the main thing.

Sorry I have rambled a bit, but my main concern is the Bluetooth question.

Cheers

Yvonneo_O

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone.

A long time since I have been on here and also like the new layout.

James has now been transferred to the Adult side of the Diabetic Clinic and we had a meeting with the Paediatric Consultant and Adult Consultant and 6 other people. Introducing us to them and vice versa. I felt so out of my comfort zone having been with the Paediatric team for 14 1/2 years.

As we will be going with James to Lanzarote in July, from what I can gather from other posts it seem it is ok to keep his pump on going through security. I did ask the DSN this question but not quite sure what she meant when she mentioned Bluetooth.

She did say that he did not have to take his pump off going through security but needs to switch the Bluetooth off. Does she mean just before take off like you would switch mobiles, ipads etc off, then whilst you are up in the air and you can release your seat belts, you can put it back on.. We are going back to see her once more on 2nd July to also pick up a letter regarding his pump, but would also like to know from others who have flown with their pump.

I must admit I am a bit nervous about going abroad this time, as we have been so used to MDI's in the past and also since using the pump, I have forgotten the MDI's procedure and know we have to take all the bits to do with MDI's should the pump fail. James seems confident so that's the main thing.

Sorry I have rambled a bit, but my main concern is the Bluetooth question.

Cheers

Yvonneo_O

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on the Accucheck combo but never been abroad with it yet. To you have a letter from the hospital saying that you are diabetic and your medication has to be kept on your person? Hopefully that should help going through security, not really sure about that though to be honest I hope someone else has some experience for you.
Do you have your manual for your pump? It explains about turning the Bluetooth off whilst your on the aeroplane (like you would if you were putting your phone on flight mode). I think this is only needed whilst in the plane though. May be worth ringing Roche they may be able to help you better as I find the hospital team aren't expertise in everything pump related whereas the team I've spoke to at Roche have been amazingly knowledgable. If you don't have your manuals I don't mind uploading the information on here if you need it. Hope someone else with more experience can help.

Reactions: 2 people

jodysd6

Oops, I have flown a few times with my combo pump and never turned the Bluetooth off! Should probably look into that for next time! I also don't take off through security, I don't even mention it if I am just going through normal metal detectors and only mention it if I am asked to go into the body scanner at which point I say I am wearing a pump and ask for a manual screening, which hasn't really been a problem, just when the lady didn't know what to do with it once! (They normally make me handle it then swab my hands)

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on the Accucheck combo but never been abroad with it yet. To you have a letter from the hospital saying that you are diabetic and your medication has to be kept on your person? Hopefully that should help going through security, not really sure about that though to be honest I hope someone else has some experience for you.
Do you have your manual for your pump? It explains about turning the Bluetooth off whilst your on the aeroplane (like you would if you were putting your phone on flight mode). I think this is only needed whilst in the plane though. May be worth ringing Roche they may be able to help you better as I find the hospital team aren't expertise in everything pump related whereas the team I've spoke to at Roche have been amazingly knowledgable. If you don't have your manuals I don't mind uploading the information on here if you need it. Hope someone else with more experience can help.[/QUOTE

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all and K8tie. I have found the manuals and it does say to switch off Bluetooth on pump and handset before boarding aircraft, but have not elaborated about being able to switch back on during flight. Will check with Roche to make sure.

Thanks again

Yvonne

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've travelled with my accu chek pump and always ask for a manual screen rather than going through the detector. Sometimes but not always they will swab the pump but this only takes a few moments. I do turn the blue tooth off and keep it off for the flight, if I need to bolus do it manually on pump. Have a fab holiday.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are they going to expect me to Stop my CGM on a flight? It uses Bluetooth (well same wavelengths). I don't think I'm going to go along with that...

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are they going to expect me to Stop my CGM on a flight? It uses Bluetooth (well same wavelengths). I don't think I'm going to go along with that...

No we don't have to stop. Dexcom says it's fine.

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

Reactions: 2 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Dexcom and Combo, I leave them both on when I fly, have flown maybe 20 times when connected up and had no issues.

Going through security, I avoid the full body scan machines and go through the metal detectors with no issues but let them know I have a pump andf they swab it. If you have to go through a full body scan I was told you need to take your pump off and pass it round the outside, if they insist it goes through then turn it off and take batteries out. I have never been forced to go through a full body scan.

I put the remotes for both Dex and Combo through the bag xray machines with no problems (still switched on).

Reactions: 3 people

caryh

I've flown quite a few times with my combo pump, and I've never had any problems with security.

I've flown to the USA, Domincan Republic, Cape Verde, and on several European flights.

I nomally just walk through the metal detector and show them the pump.
Most staff now know exactly what they are and just ask to swab it.
I never even mention my infusion sets and backup insulin in my hand luggage,as all the staff seem to know what it is when they see it on an xray.

In the United States I got thanked for being so helpful just for being clear about having one.

My meter just goes through the xray in my hand luggage.

when I first few with it I turned off the bluetooth before takeoff, but most of the time I forget. Its never been an issue, and i've never had any cabin crew say anything about it..