Now the hard work begins

phil55494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I'm now on a pump - Animas Vibe - with insulin in it drip feeding me what the DSN thinks I should start at.
I'm feeling both elated and terrified at the same time.
I'm sure over the next few weeks & months (years?) I'll be doing the diabetes equivalent of learning to fall off a bicycle. Mistakes will be made but I've got to get up and carry on if this thing is going to be a success for me.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good luck with the pump and fingers crossed for you. I'm sure the positives will far out weigh those minor frustrating negatives. All the best :-D

Reactions: 2 people

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're anything like me you'll be amazed at the improved control it gives you and the ability to make minor adjustments for massive improvements. Don't expect miracles overnight, but if you put in all the hard work now by carb counting correctly and testing frequently your pump will work wonders. Basal testing is definitely the place to start (but make sure first that all your previous long acting insulin is out of your system - this can take a few days).

Good luck!

Reactions: 6 people
H

Hooked

So I'm now on a pump - Animas Vibe - with insulin in it drip feeding me what the DSN thinks I should start at.
I'm feeling both elated and terrified at the same time.
I'm sure over the next few weeks & months (years?) I'll be doing the diabetes equivalent of learning to fall off a bicycle. Mistakes will be made but I've got to get up and carry on if this thing is going to be a success for me.
Fab! I'm on mine (also Animas Vibe) just over a week and loving the difference it's making. I've still plenty of room for more improvements, but soooo much better than ever before. Best of luck with your pump.

phil55494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all.

I've had the first falling over with it. I managed to not reconnect the tubing to the canula properly after getting myself ready for be last night. This morning I discovered it had detatched overnight and my numbers were at 20.3mmmol/l reattach and bolus and even with breakfast it is comming back to where it should be.

Reactions: 3 people
H

Hooked

Thanks all.

I've had the first falling over with it. I managed to not reconnect the tubing to the canula properly after getting myself ready for be last night. This morning I discovered it had detatched overnight and my numbers were at 20.3mmmol/l reattach and bolus and even with breakfast it is comming back to where it should be.
I bet you won't do that again in a hurry. ;) Have you been asked to test through the night? The first three days I had to test two hourly before going back to hospital for my first set change so the nurse could have a look at the figures.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all.

Been there, done that. :)
Having tried lots of infusion sets now, the connectors on the Animas sets are not the best. They are not very positive and it's easy to think you have reconnected it, when you haven't. I suppose I have learned to listen for a very definite 'click' now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jazglo

I got my pump in January and it took me 7 highly frustrating weeks of testing and trial and error to get myself into range and sorted out. I absolutely love my pump now and my HbA1c will come in below 6, hooray! The teething is worth it. Good luck :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got my pump in January and it took me 7 highly frustrating weeks of testing and trial and error to get myself into range and sorted out. I absolutely love my pump now and my HbA1c will come in below 6, hooray! The teething is worth it. Good luck :)
Great job! The pump really does reward effort that you put into it.