should you reuse pen needles

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have used one needle until the pen runs out for 20 years without issue. I put on a new needle tip when i start a new pen. If the needle feels blunt or for any reason i dont think ive kept it clean, i swap it for a new one. Although my consultant reccomends use for 3 jabs and replace.

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's interesting that we have reports on this thread not just of patients re-using needles, but also of doctors advising using needles more than once (with limitations of course). It's interesting that there is not just a difference of opinion between some patients and the manufacturers, but a difference of opinion between some doctors and the manufacturers.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
It's interesting that we have reports on this thread not just of patients re-using needles, but also of doctors advising using needles more than once (with limitations of course). It's interesting that there is not just a difference of opinion between some patients and the manufacturers, but a difference of opinion between some doctors and the manufacturers.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spike

I see it in a couple of ways, it is a lot like the food expiration dates the manufactures are going to err on the side of caution - they have nothing to lose by being cautious except more sales and less possible law suits.

The needles are much the same way - a engineering marvel that is way over built for a one use device. If the test strip is a $11 billion world wide industry, I wonder what the pen needle sales amount is?

Sent from Runner2009 Burt

Reactions: 2 people

ingerd

I have had Diabetes 1 for more than 30 years. All that time I have used my needles for about 1 month and never had any problems of any kind. But we are different - what do not harm me might harm others.

Reactions: 3 people