Keep a close eye on them and if you feel I'll get to hospital fast

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your BG goes over 16 with ketones that high, call 'out of hours' or 111 for advice - as there's a risk you could develop DKA

Emmy-Lou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had high ketones in the same region you've got for about four weeks... My nurse told me if I start to feel ill and sick then to go to A and E other than that she has just told me to check them once daily.

She put me on insulin last Thursday but I've only done it once. She said it was to lower my sugar and ketones. I'm scared to lose the ketones as I know they help you lose weight... I know I shouldn't be thinking this way.

Emmy-Lou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As first when I had high ketones it worried me sick but I think as long as you keep an eye on them and and don't get sick then I think they are ok. I would check with your doctor or nurse if you are worried.

Peachypuff72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being woken up early :(
I recently found out I was seriously ill. My ketones were 1.1 and my BG was 24.8. I didn't feel sick but passed out in my doctors office. Found out I was type 1, it runs in the family. I'm 19 years old and fit and healthy. Go and get it checked because its not something you can put off. Good luck! Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had high ketones in the same region you've got for about four weeks... My nurse told me if I start to feel ill and sick then to go to A and E other than that she has just told me to check them once daily.

She put me on insulin last Thursday but I've only done it once. She said it was to lower my sugar and ketones. I'm scared to lose the ketones as I know they help you lose weight... I know I shouldn't be thinking this way.
Emma, if you are in ketosis (below 1.5) with normal blood sugar (enough insulin) then it means you are burning fat as fuel BUT if you have high ketones and high blood sugar (not enough insulin) then you are at risk of ketoacidosis (DKA) which is a life threatening condition. Please be very careful.

Reactions: 7 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi, as you know I've kept an interest in your health since you first joined, but there is no need to run high to lose weight, you can do it with the LCHF diet and get into ketosis, as Robert said.
There is lots of support here for you if you want to lose weight, as you would know from the weight loss threads. Please look after yourself and get your BG in range.

Now for a Granpar lecture:bookworm:
Running your sugar high and having ketones making yourself sick will lose weight. It's an emotional trap down a bad path and they even have a name for the disorder, Diabulimia. You know you are damaging your body, even if you aren't feeling symptoms. uncontrolled BG will lead to serious complications, blindness and amputations are at the end of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently found out I was seriously ill. My ketones were 1.1 and my BG was 24.8. I didn't feel sick but passed out in my doctors office. Found out I was type 1, it runs in the family. I'm 19 years old and fit and healthy. Go and get it checked because its not something you can put off. Good luck! Xx
saying you were lucky sounds stupid, but if it had to happen, it was good that it happened at the Dr's.
While I'm giving unsolicited Granpar lectures :pompous:
This may have not apply to you but from what I have read from other teens here. Some T1 teens are underweight when diagnosed and when they go on insulin they put on healthy weight, mainly muscle. This is rapid and can be a shock when you look in the mirror and it may take a while to get use to the 'new healthy You'

Reactions: 4 people

south711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
sorry what is ketones, and dka

south711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
Thanks jaylee just read the info on this. many thanks for that. All these different abbreviations are sometimes new to me. it helps when reading the information at least to know what they refeer to. many thanks again

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks jaylee just read the info on this. many thanks for that. All these different abbreviations are sometimes new to me. it helps when reading the information at least to know what they refeer to. many thanks again

No problem.. I have similar problems with acronyms & such like.. ;)

The DKA thing is a serious issue & not to be taken lightly.. A mate of mines kidneys packed up due to taking his diabetes for granted I his youth. His eyes aren't much better.... So now (on top of diabetes control.) he's taking medication and the associated treatment to stop his body rejecting the transplant... Food for thought.

Reactions: 4 people

Emmy-Lou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, as you know I've kept an interest in your health since you first joined, but there is no need to run high to lose weight, you can do it with the LCHF diet and get into ketosis, as Robert said.
There is lots of support here for you if you want to lose weight, as you would know from the weight loss threads. Please look after yourself and get your BG in range.

Now for a Granpar lecture:bookworm:
Running your sugar high and having ketones making yourself sick will lose weight. It's an emotional trap down a bad path and they even have a name for the disorder, Diabulimia. You know you are damaging your body, even if you aren't feeling symptoms. uncontrolled BG will lead to serious complications, blindness and amputations are at the end of it

Thank you Jack... I will start taking insulin from tomorrow and do as my dn says... I took my weight today in boots and am going to todo it every Tuesday and try and lose weight the proper way.

To be honest Ketones have confused me... I want my sugar down. I've got myself Zumba for the wii...

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Jack... I will start taking insulin from tomorrow and do as my dn says... I took my weight today in boots and am going to todo it every Tuesday and try and lose weight the proper way.

To be honest Ketones have confused me... I want my sugar down. I've got myself Zumba for the wii...
I look forward to seeing you and your wii on youtube:p
I never knew what a ketone was a month ago either. But there are some cluey people here that can help you with your insulin, to work within your diet you choose. Just start a thread/topic for it
I've never dieted in my 60yrs. I got myself to 115kg that I'm 'too slowly' reducing, I've got it down to 108kg so far and fighting for every KG, it didn't budge off 110kg for about 2 mths.

I don't know if you have seen these links
eat fat lose weight
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...hannel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=A31pU864Js3C8gfvqICYBw

how much carb is right for me
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

lots on LCHF
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

food craving, I found fat helped a lot
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
keto diet
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/KetogenicDiets/a/What-Is-A-Ketogenic-Diet.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people