Struggling to change my cannulas

laura12367

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just wondering if anyone else struggles.
Seeing my nurse today but struggling to change my cannula I'm fine once it's in but getting it in is the problem,
I keep thinking going back to injections would suit me better even tho I have better control with the pump, but my fear of cannulas are erring worse each time I have to do it! And I tried pens again and couldn't manage them either. Any advice?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Seeing my nurse today but struggling to change my cannula I'm fine once it's in but getting it in is the problem,
I keep thinking going back to injections would suit me better even tho I have better control with the pump, but my fear of cannulas are erring worse each time I have to do it! And I tried pens again and couldn't manage them either. Any advice?

Hi Laura,
what is your problem with the cannula? Is it due to the inserter making that dreadful noise and scaring you half to death before you have even inserted the cannula.
If this is the case then there are loads of different cannulas to try without inserters. One that does have an inserter but you control the speed of insertion is the Cleo 90 supplied by advanced Therapeutics.
There are also steel cannulas which you just push in by hand just like a needle from a syringe as well, so plenty of options available to you to try.
Hope you can resolve the problem soon.

Reactions: 2 people

laura12367

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm at hospital today, I think it's the noise, and I don't weigh a lot so don't have much fat to put it into even tho it doesn't hurt me, I've never been good with needles, so I don't know a way around it, I've been having hypnotherapy to try and help me. I like the pump and it's benefiting me, but it gets to a point where it's in for 6 days before I can change it.
Il see about the inserter which you can control the speed maybe or try one I can put in myself I'd manage more having control over it

iHs

Hi laura

I find that the more worry gets put into inserting a set, the more worrying it can start to become, but us women are strong creatures and if we can give birth to babies, then we can deffo put a set in.. A good tip is to not look down at the set while inserting it, instead stand up, hold the set inserter against the skin, watch xomething on tv, put the volume up.....and then fire the set in. Another good thing is to hold a pack of froz peas against the skin (through t shirt) for a few mins and then that will numb the skin a bit. Ive done this a few times with the tenderlink set

Reactions: 6 people

laura12367

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know that's the problem that I start to worry, I've got emla cream on prescription. and I've done it without before and it doesn't hurt so it's not the pain that's a problem.

And I tried injections and I couldn't do them either.
It's sore now tho been in 6 days.
I've tried everything to be able to do it. Will wait and see what the nurse says later today

sophiebowness1

I had this problem aswell I've swapped from injections to pump so many times because I was getting to the point that I was physically sick with the thought of sticking something into my stomach, where abouts do you wear your pump?
And do you have anyone at home that can help you?x

laura12367

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wear it in my belly, I can't have it anywhere else as I've no fat to put it into,
They've all tried I can't let anyone else do it, neither can I do it myself.

It's stressful because I went to be able to just get up and get on with it and go to work. But I can't, it's always days over the day I'm meant to do it and I don't take it out because I can't inject, and I can't put a new one in

iHs

Laura

You are going to get yr head around all this, otherwise theres no point csrrying on with a pump and you go back to injections. How many times per day do you test yr bg with the finger pricker?

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Laura, I understand a lot of how you feel. I have struggled with canula insertion since I started in February on the pump. Like you I don't have a lot of options for where to insert. Like you, when I get one in I am loathe to take it out. But I had some bad experiences leaving them in too long and I am now changing religiously every two days, more often than I need to even. The good news is that it does get easier. I have also tried every infusion set my pump manufacturer offers and a few more from other manufacturers. The different sets are so different from each other, that there is sure to be one that suits you best. Your DSN can help you find a set that works for you. For me I think the manually inserted steel needles may be the solution, they are honestly painless, you can barely feel them going in. But there will be a set that works for you.

When we have a fear of something it is generally better to repeatedly confront it and win over it. Avoidance just makes the fear worse. So please find a set that works best for you and change it early and often, so you gain confidence.

Like you I am facing coming off the pump if I can't get to grips with this. But I have seen the benefits of the pump already, improved control, and I really don't want to give up and come of it. Hang in there!

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some suggestions

Change in the evening when you are under no stress and no pressure. (I know they say to change before a meal, but what's more important is that you succeed in changing the set, when you change the set is secondary.)

Do some slow, deliberate, regular, deep breathing as you are ready to insert it. As iHs said, focus on something else like the TV. When you feel ready, count yourself down and keep focusing that you are definitely definitely going to do it when you get to zero. At the moment you trigger the inserter, pretend you are somewhere else - flying through the sky, riding a horse, anything that feels good.

Then when it goes in, make sure to feel good and really congratulate yourself, and feel your success, and make a big mental note that it was easier than you feared, and in hindsight not such a big deal. Fix that memory of it being not so hard, and remember for next time. And make sure next time is quite soon, 2 days.