Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I think I need a little bit of chocolate every evening about 8.30 to keep me on track for the rest of the time. I look forward to it all day.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chocolate is a major food group all by itself, and I always wonder how people think they can maintain a balanced diet without at least a daily portion. Dieticians are so ignorant!

I'm picturing what the Brunneria Food Pyramid looks like. Chocolate at the top... :)

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've no restraint. It's all or nothing with me. I can't limit myself to just a square or two; it just makes the craving for more worse!
I do find if I go "cold turkey" for a couple of weeks the chocolate craving disappears for me. But just a wee bit of it and I'm off wanting to eat more again. I admire those who can limit themselves to a square or two without demolishing a whole bar. :eek:
with ordinary milk choc, I'm the same, I use to knock off a family block during a TV add break.
I find the high cocoa choc don't do this and I am satisfied with one row. so try a 90% and see how you go

but my new love is raw cooking Cocoa powder, virtually zero carbs and makes yummy cream/water hot chocolate
cocoa, almond and coconut balls, use coconut oil or butter to mix and put in the fridge to set

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know being a diavetic it is very naughty - but after a meal whether it be a curry, chineese or just beans on toast I feel I need something sweet - ie chocolate. How can I stop tis I know it would be no good for my blood testing. - help please.
if you have a decent well supplied sweetshop nearby like i have then Hersheys make a diabetic chocolate an
I know being a diavetic it is very naughty - but after a meal whether it be a curry, chineese or just beans on toast I feel I need something sweet - ie chocolate. How can I stop tis I know it would be no good for my blood testing. - help please.
Hersheys make a delicious diabetic sugar free chocolate.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi there,

Just a thought - an entire bar of 100g 70% green and black chocolate has approx 37g of carb in it.
Beans on toast would probably equate to 40g carbs - Chinese and Indian may be higher.

Chocolate - especially dark chocolate isn't actually that high in carbs when compared to other 'sweets' so nice to have as a treat, but why not have bacon and eggs for the 'meal' instead (pretty much zero carb) then the chocolate isn't adding to an already quickly rising BG?
Perhaps pay more attention to the carbs in the main meals, that way you can worry less when you have a craving for something sweet? ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hersheys make a delicious diabetic sugar free chocolate.
Probably made with polyols aka sugar alcohols. Pretty much everyone recommends diabetics not to eat these products. They are carbs, and they are laxatives to boot. Best case is your blood sugar rises more slowly but it will still rise.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Bebo thats my philosophy. I try to have around 120-150g a day. I choose the carbs I want and those I do without. I choose to have a little bit of chocolate rather than bread with my salad at lunch time lol