So I dunked my BG meter in Lucozade...

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Ok, I was bored! And it only registered 10.2. That must mean when I'm in my 20's my blood must resemble Golden Syrup :-/

Tom

Reactions: 4 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:eek: wow! You're putting ideas in my head lol I want to test my whole kitchen!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm... I wonder what a Redbull is then?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! I didn't think it may actually work! I thought that the meter checks for red cells count or something to make sure it has enough blood? Ha!

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
:eek: wow! You're putting ideas in my head lol I want to test my whole kitchen!

Indiana x

Lol, my thoughts exactly. I didn't expect it to work. Thought some kind of error would pop up. But no, didn't flinch, just read out 10.2!

Tom

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmmm... Or testing antfreeze...? Sorry, I spent a lot of time on car forums...lol

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
OK, the cappaccino (without sugar) I'm drinking right now comes in at 1.2! Any others for the thread (Will there be GP's around the country wondering why strip scripts are on the increase)

Tom

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read something where you have to keep it in your mouth for the saliva to do something 'chemical reaction' so you can get a glucose reading, this was about sauces on a meal. all a bit vague as I've read heaps the last few months

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read something where you have to keep it in your mouth for the saliva to do something 'chemical reaction' so you can get a glucose reading, this was about sauces on a meal. all a bit vague as I've read heaps the last few months
The meter will report how much glucose there is in the test substance (maybe in accurately, I don't know) but there are other forms of carbohydrate which are broken down to glucose which it may not detect. Since most carbs in food are not free glucose, I'm not sure how useful the result will be (milk is mainly lactose, starch is long chains of glucose, table sugar is glucose-fructose pairs - products made with actual glucose like Lucozade original are very rare because it's much less sweet per g compared to sugar)

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The meter will report how much glucose there is in the test substance (maybe in accurately, I don't know) )
I used my google foo and found I wasn't even close, it was Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution and it was urine strips, not blood strips
but it was a chemical reaction that broke down sugar and starch into glucose you could test

in or out? a simple test
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=-c82AQAAQBAJ&pg=PT34&lpg=PT34&dq=sauce test glucose strip mouth saliva diabetes&source=bl&ots=Wep-Rk1TcD&sig=0cZDQCztjjQ8TSiJmDgsGsQRcwU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CqhrU43aGsbbkQXllYDACA&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=sauce test glucose strip mouth saliva diabetes&f=false

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll be having a go when I get home!

Indiana x

tizzy

Hi I've experimented as well firstly because I was convinced I had bee given proper coke not diet it was 1ish I think orange juice was high cant remember exactly but I found out you could do this on this forum and has been very usefull especially when you think someone has ignored your request I found out the hard way once either that or had eyes bigger than my belly

tizzy

I only use spare meter as if end up in Hosp they'll think my god she's gone from 1 to about 30 in 2 second flat

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Ok, I was bored! And it only registered 10.2. That must mean when I'm in my 20's my blood must resemble Golden Syrup :-/

Tom
So what does golden syrup register?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm hoping that you dunked the test strip in the lucozade and not the meter Tom (as your thread title suggest). :)

H

Hooked

My daughter wanted to know if my meter would read the left over milk from her cereal bowl earlier this week. It did, 19.1.