Outrageous. What a disgrace

TuTusweet

Bit late I admit I have just read an article that has all the hallmarks of a press release from the fear and panic generation division of the Diabetes industry about 3.8 million people in UK with diabetes. This figure --probably just plucked out of thin air --is said to include 600,000 people who ARE UNAWARE THAT THEY HAVE DIABETES !!! So "they" the "powers that be" or doctors or some other "workers" in the industry have found 600,000 people with diabetes AND KEPT IT TO THEMSELVES --- HAVE NOT HAD THE HUMAN DECENCY TO LET THEM KNOW. DESPICABLE. What is the world coming to. Or maybe the 600.000 figure has been plucked out of thin air to sex up this report in the Mail. I wonder what idiocy the June press release will contain. Tiresome.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It would be hard to put an exact figure on those who haven't been diagnosed as yet, the 600,000 will just be rough estimate.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It wont mean that there are 600,000 people who are known to have diabetes but are kept in the dark. It is an estimate of how many people may have diabetes but have not been diagnosed.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I reckon I may have had it for over two years. Have not been to the doctors in that time so they could not have known.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
and sadly a proportion of those are having a Western diet and do not realise the harm it can cause thru excessive portion sizes and high carb content

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I was told by doc that most diabetics have the condition quite a while before official diagnosis. The 600,000 figure is only a guess though. Would be impossible to know a true figure.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
GP reckoned that I had had D for at least 30 years prior to diagnosis masked by drug therapy I was taking. Drug therapy is much the same just that the D is now known and recognised.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I had a blood test in 2008 which now would be regarded as prediabetic, chances are undiagnosed and unknown diabetic for at least three years until just over a month ago.

Unless routine annual screening is introduced - which it won't be - I can only see undiagnosed diabetics increasing in numbers, whatever that number might be. Tragic really.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless routine annual screening is introduced - which it won't be - I can only see undiagnosed diabetics increasing in numbers, whatever that number might be. Tragic really.

And of course that wouldn't help anyone unless they are prepared to take notice and will go for screening either. I can see a situation where it's those with poor diets and who are least "health aware" that will be the majority of those undiagnosed.

Robbity

AMBrennan

-is said to include 600,000 people who ARE UNAWARE THAT THEY HAVE DIABETES !!! So "they" the "powers that be" or doctors or some other "workers" in the industry have found 600,000 people with diabetes AND KEPT IT TO THEMSELVES --- HAVE NOT HAD THE HUMAN DECENCY TO LET THEM KNOW. DESPICABLE
Or, in the real world, you could grab 100 people, find that 8 of them have eleveated BG that would be diagnosed as diabetes and notice that only seven of them have been diagnosed with diabetes.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Or, its just people that never go to the GP like my hubby and just don't know that they are over the levels to be diagnosed.. I think men are especially bad at going to GP's..

Also GP's have 10 minute slots for their patients.. 6 mins listening and diagnosing with 4 mins to type up actions... So time allocated to GP's to understand their Patients is limited.

To me its a guessing game.. A % of people diagnosed in the data that they get their figures from. All a guessing game... Just like the stats for guessing how many illegal immigrants are here in UK... If they know they are illegal why don't they do something??

Stats are just stats and to me unless they can quantify how these guestimated figures are concluded.. Then just take them with a pinch of salt.. Or in our case a dollop of cream..

Danny Prince

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My Likes
I think you took the 600,000 out of context, I think they just mean they don't realise they have it so they don't go to a doctor about it, not that they go to a doctor and the doctors hide it from them, I don't think we'd have doctors if the world worked like that

The 600,000 I'm guessing was just an average made, more then a guess i'd say

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was after all, in "The Daily Wail", not known for it's calm and rational headlines ;)

The headline itself seemed to imply that all these nasty diabetics ( who had brought it on themselves through their lifestyle ) were using up valuable resources of the NHS. " Take 'em out am shoot' em" !!!!!

Only further in the page was it said that more support and education for diabetics from the NHS would see a reduction in expenditure on diabetic complications. As per usual, only a sentence or so was given to differentiate between Type 1 and Type 2, with no mention of other variations.

The Wail annoyed me intensely because it's sensationalist hyperbole does more to encourage the publics perception of diabetes as being a condition caused by all being lazy overweight and therefore it's their own **** fault.

However that annoyance didn't last long as it IS tabloid sensationalism , and if the message of common sense reductions of complications by support and USEFUL education gets across, it's a good thing.

I do worry though that by stigmatising diabetic in this manner it may put off some people who suspect they may be diabetic from seeking a diagnosis.:(

Signy

Reactions: 3 people

myrio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
VEGETABLES
The lazy overweight perception of people with diabetis always anoys me I am Type2 i have allways been active i am not overweight .My doctor says mine stems from working 16 hours aday and not eating regualy.Statements like the one in the paper realy pee me off .Anyway thats my rant for the day

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No the figures aren't drawn out of thin air , they use a model based on available data.
The number of undiagnosed is estimated by applying the results of screening studies to the population as a whole. Using the data from these studies they apply them to models that take into account the variations between areas, (age, deprivation , ethnicity etc)
Here is one of the studies that was used to develop the current model:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19573116 . In this study, of the people identified with diabetes, 18.5% did not know and were therefore undiagnosed .

There is a lot of data about prevalence diagnosed and undiagnosed by area and detail about the current model here (very technical) http://www.yhpho.org.uk/default.aspx?RID=81090

In the UK there is actually a far lower incidence of undiagnosed diabetes than many places and the numbers who don't know are going down because of better screening.
The IDF estimates that worldwide around half of those with diabetes don't know they have it.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The lazy overweight perception of people with diabetis always anoys me I am Type2 i have allways been active i am not overweight .My doctor says mine stems from working 16 hours aday and not eating regualy.Statements like the one in the paper realy pee me off .Anyway thats my rant for the day

Yes, and think how much more annoying it is for those of us who ARE overweight and lazy, because of years of undiagnosed impaired glucose responses, causing the grinding low energy levels.

My impaired glucose predates the weight gain and low energy levels by years.

Reactions: 5 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Or, its just people that never go to the GP like my hubby and just don't know that they are over the levels to be diagnosed.. I think men are especially bad at going to GP's..

Also GP's have 10 minute slots for their patients.. 6 mins listening and diagnosing with 4 mins to type up actions... So time allocated to GP's to understand their Patients is limited.

To me its a guessing game.. A % of people diagnosed in the data that they get their figures from. All a guessing game... Just like the stats for guessing how many illegal immigrants are here in UK... If they know they are illegal why don't they do something??

Stats are just stats and to me unless they can quantify how these guestimated figures are concluded.. Then just take them with a pinch of salt.. Or in our case a dollop of cream..

It may be that men don't go to their GPs 'cos it can be a negative experience. Both my diabetes GPs when I asked them to add a PSA test (for prostate) to my HBA1C test said 'What do you want that for' with a stern look. Having insisted on a test it has lead me to having the resulting prostate operation next week. If I had gone along with them I wouldn't be aware of any problem until it was too late.

Reactions: 4 people

furryboots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people,cyber bullying,broccoli,cabbage,onion,garlic,avocado,any prepared food
statistics are all generic and based on averages as we know,do you know an average person?,i dont,i was initially diagnosed as type2,,i know lots of obese people,my daughter and niece should be diabetic according to statistics, but arent,at my heaviest i was 9 stone,final diagnosis was type1,an auto mmune disease,not fat,thin,i dont read what papers say,,they get there money from rumour not fact,here you get the real facts

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Bit late I admit I have just read an article that has all the hallmarks of a press release from the fear and panic generation division of the Diabetes industry about 3.8 million people in UK with diabetes. This figure --probably just plucked out of thin air --is said to include 600,000 people who ARE UNAWARE THAT THEY HAVE DIABETES !!! So "they" the "powers that be" or doctors or some other "workers" in the industry have found 600,000 people with diabetes AND KEPT IT TO THEMSELVES --- HAVE NOT HAD THE HUMAN DECENCY TO LET THEM KNOW. DESPICABLE. What is the world coming to. Or maybe the 600.000 figure has been plucked out of thin air to sex up this report in the Mail. I wonder what idiocy the June press release will contain. Tiresome.
Generally I applaud any negatives directed towards the daily hail or the daily fail as it is known in our house. Unfortunately I had blood tests in October and December last year which showed that I was diabetic (hba1c tests 62 and 75 respectively. ) My doc didn't let me know I had diabetes until 28th of jan this year! So in this instance , doc didn't have the human decency to let me know - I consider this fairly despicable!