photo 4.JPG

Reactions: 8 people

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Any volunteers wanting to stop their insulin for a few days to test out the accuracy at higher levels? ;-)

Tom

Reactions: 2 people

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @borofergie . . .

How do you find the gadget?

I also recently bought the Ketonix ("Sport" edition) and have been testing it . . .

It seems accurate enough, which I guess is the most important thing . . . results seem to correspond pretty well with the results from my Ketostix urine tests a few hours later.

I use a fortnightly cycle where I come out of Ketosis every second Sunday due to some chocolate scoffing. During the post-scoff Tuesday, or sometimes Wednesday, I fall back into Ketosis. When I test throughout that day I notice the result LED changing from Blue to Green to Yellow as the day goes on. I get mostly Yellow or Red on the rest of my days.

For me it's a bit irritating that the gadget takes a while to initialize after you plug it in to the USB port. After plugging in, mine takes a good 3 or 4 minutes before it indicates that it's ready for use. Is this the same for yours?

Overall I'm happy with it . . . it gives me an accurate up-to-date measurement and doesn't require expensive test-strips for each test . . . I just need to find some patience when waiting for it to boot up.

Regards,
Antony

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Hi @borofergie . . .

How do you find the gadget?

I also recently bought the Ketonix ("Sport" edition) and have been testing it . . .

It seems accurate enough, which I guess is the most important thing . . . results seem to correspond pretty well with the results from my Ketostix urine tests a few hours later.

I use a fortnightly cycle where I come out of Ketosis every second Sunday due to some chocolate scoffing. During the post-scoff Tuesday, or sometimes Wednesday, I fall back into Ketosis. When I test throughout that day I notice the result LED changing from Blue to Green to Yellow as the day goes on. I get mostly Yellow or Red on the rest of my days.

For me it's a bit irritating that the gadget takes a while to initialize after you plug it in to the USB port. After plugging in, mine takes a good 3 or 4 minutes before it indicates that it's ready for use. Is this the same for yours?

Overall I'm happy with it . . . it gives me an accurate up-to-date measurement and doesn't require expensive test-strips for each test . . . I just need to find some patience when waiting for it to boot up.

Yes. I keep meaning to write a review about it. I quite like it but:
1) As you say it takes a while to boot up, which is annoying if like me you test before meals (my foot sits there getting cold waiting for the light to stop blinking).
2) It doesn't really have enough levels - yellow and red are a bit arbitrary and meaningless. From the ketostix and blood meter you get to see how deep you are in ketosis, this really just tells you if you are in ketosis or not.

But I agree, it correlates very well with the BG ketone meter, and it is nice to be able to test 10 times a day if I feel like it.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a new model, the 2015 edition. Readings are given in % of "the scale' [ asked the manufacturer to explain this,still no answer] or by the number of blinks.
My readings are almost always 6 red blinks or 80-85 % .
Initialising or self calibration times can be very long, which is a disadvantage because I want to measure quickly when I first get up and do my FBG or BHB test.
Still early days, will use this thread to post some daily results. Hope others will also share their results and/or findings.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
190 mins after lunch today [first bite] got 86% which gave 7 red blinks.

Fasting BHB early this morning was 5.4 mmoles/l
Fasting blood glucose was 73 mg/dl

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
FBG 74 mg/dl [4.11mmole/l]

Ketonix reading 85% with 6 red blinks.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
FBG 74mg/dl or 4.11mmoles/l [ same as yesterday ]
Ketonix 85% with 7 red blinks
Beta-hydroxybutyrate 5.8 mmoles/l
Calibration time was quite acceptable today!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
FBG 4.00 mmoles/l

Fasting Ketonix reading 85% 6-7 red blinks.

Calibration time again good.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Every time you post on this thread @Pasha, I'm reminded of how much I miss @borofergie around the place.

Yes I agree with you, pity he no longer posts.
Maybe others will post again to rejuvinate this thread, at least we could compare our results , there are so many variables.
I hope to get a bit more meaningful information from the Ketonix customer support very soon. I will share it, if anybody is interested ,when it arrives.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not as dedicated to self-experimentation as you are, @Pasha :)

Not all that bothered by whether I'm in ketosis or not, certainly not enough to spend a fortune on strips or buying a Ketonix. Definitely couldn't be bothered with peeing on a Ketostix :D

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
FBG this morning 68 mg/dl or 3.77 mmoles

Fasting Ketonix reading 85%

Fasting Ketone as BHB 5.8 mmoles/l

Still collecting more results and a clearer picture is beginning to emerge.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been using the old standard Ketonix model since last July (so for about a year now), but just use it as an "am I still in ketosis" double check - I don't do this every day and haven't kept a daily record. I found when I was well into ketosis my messy urine Ketostix were no longer registering for me, so this is a nice clean and reliable alternative. I just get a blue, green, yellow, red colour guide, and nothing more informationb on the gadget itself. I found this table on the web though , and apparently:
Blue light: Zero to low production of ketones (~0-150 nmol/l)
Green light: Low production of ketones (~150-400 nmol/l)
Yellow light: Moderate production of ketones (~ 400-930 nmol/l)
Red light: High production of ketones ( > 930 nmol/l)

But the speed at which it reaches it's final colour can vary, and I assume this is also an indication of ketone quantities. I find I generally get yellow or red and I'm usually higher at night than in the mornings. This is on approx 30-50g carbs a day.

Maybe I should try to remember when I do my wake up glucose test to do a ketone puff test as well.... I'll need to find me a new note book though! :wideyed:

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've been using the old standard Ketonix model since last July (so for about a year now), but just use it as an "am I still in ketosis" double check - I don't do this every day and haven't kept a daily record. I found when I was well into ketosis my messy urine Ketostix were no longer registering for me, so this is a nice clean and reliable alternative. I just get a blue, green, yellow, red colour guide, and nothing more informationb on the gadget itself. I found this table on the web though , and apparently:
Blue light: Zero to low production of ketones (~0-150 nmol/l)
Green light: Low production of ketones (~150-400 nmol/l)
Yellow light: Moderate production of ketones (~ 400-930 nmol/l)
Red light: High production of ketones ( > 930 nmol/l)

But the speed at which it reaches it's final colour can vary, and I assume this is also an indication of ketone quantities. I find I generally get yellow or red and I'm usually higher at night than in the mornings. This is on approx 30-50g carbs a day.

Maybe I should try to remember when I do my wake up glucose test to do a ketone puff test as well.... I'll need to find me a new note book though! :wideyed:

Robbity

Red to yellow is supposed to be in the 0.5-3 m moles region of the nutritional ketosis graph ie optimum ketosis.
Its best to test at given times so as not to get puzzled by the results. yesterday for example I tested a lot and saw a big drop in the results after lunch. [ due to insulin excretion presumably]. Today I am testing quite a lot again to see if I can duplicate the results.
That means the same foods, taken at the same times etc Its a bit tiring, but if I get the expected results I will feel rewarded.
Should be a great tool for weight loss- diet modification.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I was good today and remembered:

Glucose level: 6.9
Ketonix: red (fast)

Robbity

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Early this morning,

Fasting blood glucose 74 mg/dl or 4.11 mmoles/l.

Ketonix [ 2015 ] 89%.

nicolarse01

Its defo a nice idea but blood testing will always be my first point of call for ketones. Why? Ketones show up in your blood well before they register on ketostix and im guessing your breath. I prefer to fix mine at blood level because when its in your urine - thats when the feeling **** and being sick comes in.