Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on the shake ingredients.

Sorry, but I really can't give you any further info, because you need to check each and every ingredient list to find the carbs - and then having decided, you'd need to drink a shake and test your BG. Eventually you'll find one you like.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes. Most of them contain a lot of carbs. Check the nutrition label. Even if they were pure protein they would still put your blood sugar up because excess protein is turned to sugar in the body (unless you are eating plenty of carbs anyway).

Sadly these shakes are not designed for low carbers or diabetics. They are designed for athletes as a source of extra protein, but not designed to be protein-only.

Bodybuilders who what protein only at a reasonable price tend to eat things like whole roast chickens.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LangleyBC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink Whey Powder protein drink for breakfast = 3g carbs. Is this good for me or not. I make with one cup of 2% milk and whisk it up.

LangleyBC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keeping carbs. low and filling my tum tum, as my waking Bg is always so high. Like cereals, but they give me a spike and don't like 'cooking breakfast' in the mornings. Can't bear the thought of eggs that early in the day. Yuk.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How much protein and fat is in the shake mix along with the 3g carbs? (are you including the carbs in the milk?)

Whether it's better for you than just drinking more milk would depend on how the calorie breakdown in the shake powder is different from the milk.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App